Turn off IR camera lights

Burner

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Anyone know how to turn off IR lights. I would like to put cameras on my very remote cabin but am afraid they will be noticed. I tried turning the brightness down and IR off but you can still see the red glow.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What camera? Most of them you should be able to completely turn off.

Burner

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I don't recall the camera numbers I put the boxes in my shed. I have one of the PTZ Layla, something like that. I bought it from Andy and a bunch of the other Dahua ripoffs from Andy. When you say turn off you mean the IR lights and not the camera right?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes all of Andy's Dahua OEM (they are not ripoffs but legit Dahua without the logo) you can turn the infrared off.

I suspect you have profiles or something messed up if they are still on.

Post screenshots of your settings so we can see what is going on.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would like to put cameras on my very remote cabin but am afraid they will be noticed. I tried turning the brightness down and IR off but you can still see the red glow.
If they are outdoors how will the cams "see" at night if no artificial lighting ?
The red glow of the IR's may be a deterrent to some.

I don't recall the camera numbers I put the boxes in my shed. I have one of the PTZ Layla, something like that. I bought it from Andy and a bunch of the other Dahua ripoffs from Andy.
Loryta?
Most likely there is a place to turn them off but it would help to know which model...don't you have purchase records like an invoice?

Last edited:

Perimeter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You might have settings for these LED in day, night, general, whatever. You need to turn the LED off in all these settings and save that change. Otherwise they may still go on if that mode comes up.
On my cam, it is Settings>Conditions>Illuminator.

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
You have to log into the camera directly, and you'll likely see a menu item for "Illuminator". Set it to OFF and Save.
Illuminator-control.jpg

After turning off IR, if your cabin is remote with no ambient light, your camera image should look something like this
camerawithoutIR.jpg

Burner

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If they are outdoors how will the cams "see" at night if no artificial lighting ?
The red glow of the IR's may be a deterrent to some.

Loryta?
Most likely there is a place to turn them off but it would help to know which model...don't you have purchase records like an invoice?
[/QUOTE]
Yes and others a target to shoot at. This cabin is 14 miles down a dirt road. At my house, if I turn the IR brightness to 0 there seems to be enough light to capture someone within 10 ft or so of the camera but the IR lights still glow.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are you saying there is enough light without any IR to see someone within 10 feet or only if they are emitting a little IR?

If they are still on, then you have a wrong setting somewhere. Do as the member in Post 6 said - turn off IR in every profile so in the event your camera is changing profiles, it won't come on.

Some of the cameras may still emit a little on 0, so turn them OFF if you don't want the red glow. I just tested one of mine at 0 and it was black with not even a hint of red, but some may emit or maybe an older one that allows it.