Truvision TVP-3104 URL for HTML

Pierre D

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello

As you know RTSP streams are not directly supported anymore in browsers, and i have to be able to provide my users a working link to a streaming IP CAM, that ca be used in various webpages that want to cast that stream in their browser.

The stream comes from a dome surveillance camera (interlogix - TVP-3104) , discontinued but still working great.
Here is the RTSP stream, as it can be viewed from VLC or other streamer.
rtsp:/209.15.166.20

To be able to make this stream work as a link in a given webpage, i have to process it in a third party stream service like wowza ou the one i had succes with "RTSP.ME"
here is the URL it provides me with after the process:
| powered by RTSP.ME

It works, but costs money to maintain, and has limitations in the free version in which the user has to push the play button, otherwise the stream does not start.

Do you think there is a way to convert that URL (rtsp:/209.15.166.20) to work directly in a webpage ?

Thanks for any help.

Pierre D.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
First, I suggest you not publish your public (WAN) IP on the Internet.
I took your IP, tried a RTSP URL in VLC (Interlogix is OEM'd by Hikvision at times), no authentication needed and got the camera's stream. You likely have port 554 forwarded in your router to the camera's LAN IP, also risky. Below is a snapshot:

RTSP-to-VLC_02042_redact.jpg

Most cams with an RTSP stream also can provide a MJPEG stream using a HTTP URL if it has been configured in the cam's embedded webGUI. Based on the above results, you could try the following URL with a browser to see if it works, assuming the HTTP port is still the default 80. I tried it but the MJPEG stream did, in fact, ask for a username and a password:

FWIW, the RTSP URL I used, also familiar to Hikvision, (be sure to use 2 "/" after "rtsp:") was:
Code:
rtsp:/Your-IP:554/Streaming/Channels/1

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Mjpeg is a terribly inefficient format and is worth avoiding whenever possible.

I recommend trying MediaMTX software. It efficiently translates between many different audio/video streaming protocols and can provide HLS or WebRTC streams which are natively compatible with web browsers. I have not tried this functionality, but I do use an older version of the software at home simply as an RTSP proxy so that I can stream a few specific cameras to many different devices without overtaxing the cameras.

Edit: I've tried MediaMTX's HLS and WebRTC streams briefly today. Both were able to stream into Chrome easily as described in MediaMTX's documentation. The HLS streams weren't able to play audio for the TP-Link Tapo cams I tested with, and they popped up a progress spinner for a fraction of a second quite frequently which indicates I probably would need to tweak some buffer size in the MediaMTX settings to eliminate that. The WebRTC stream was fine though and it was able to play the camera audio.

Last edited:

Pierre D

n3wb
Reaction score
I took your IP, tried a RTSP URL in VLC (Interlogix is OEM'd by Hikvision at times), no authentication needed and got the camera's stream. You likely have port 554 forwarded in your router to the camera's LAN IP, also risky. Below is a snapshot:

View attachment 185164

Most cams with an RTSP stream also can provide a MJPEG stream using a HTTP URL if it has been configured in the cam's embedded webGUI. Based on the above results, you could try the following URL with a browser to see if it works, assuming the HTTP port is still the default 80. I tried it but the MJPEG stream did, in fact, ask for a username and a password:

FWIW, the RTSP URL I used, also familiar to Hikvision, (be sure to use 2 "/" after "rtsp:") was:
Code:
Thanks for the quick reply!... You are right, i will secure the feed with username and password. i will have a few new things to try in my mission now, thanks to you.

cheers

Pierre D

n3wb
Reaction score
Mjpeg is a terribly inefficient format and is worth avoiding whenever possible.

I recommend trying MediaMTX software. It efficiently translates between many different audio/video streaming protocols and can provide HLS or WebRTC streams which are natively compatible with web browsers. I have not tried this functionality, but I do use an older version of the software at home simply as an RTSP proxy so that I can stream a few specific cameras to many different devices without overtaxing the cameras.
Thanks, i will try it!

Pierre D

n3wb
Reaction score

View attachment 185164

Code:
Me again, thanks for you generosity

The ideal for me would be to have it working using the HTTP URL, but i am having difficulty getting all the settings right to acheive this...i have no luck at all. RTSP works fine in VLC, but i cannot use RTSP on my webpage.
in my ipcam UI, i am wondering if it should be on "HTTP" or stay on "TCP"?

and shoul the encoding be on "H264" or on "MPG4"

Thank you for your time

Attachments

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with that cam but this seems reasonable:

In the first image for "protocol" select HTTP.
Second image, change "bitrate type" to "CBR" or "Constant", "Frame Rate" to 15 and "iFrame interval" to 15

ptzman

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hello

As you know RTSP streams are not directly supported anymore in browsers, and i have to be able to provide my users a working link to a streaming IP CAM, that ca be used in various webpages that want to cast that stream in their browser.

The stream comes from a dome surveillance camera (interlogix - TVP-3104) , discontinued but still working great.
Here is the RTSP stream, as it can be viewed from VLC or other streamer.
rtsp:/209.15.166.20

To be able to make this stream work as a link in a given webpage, i have to process it in a third party stream service like wowza ou the one i had succes with "RTSP.ME"
here is the URL it provides me with after the process:
| powered by RTSP.ME

It works, but costs money to maintain, and has limitations in the free version in which the user has to push the play button, otherwise the stream does not start.

Do you think there is a way to convert that URL (rtsp:/209.15.166.20) to work directly in a webpage ?

Thanks for any help.

Pierre D.
Have you logged into Truvision Navigator lately, my account has been blocked?