Tripwires --- ugh, I need help!

JesseSR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I seem to be MISSING that button. I guess I will call Tech Support and see WHY?

1630072202209.png

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
internet explorer ?! you will only have all functions in internet explorer with installed plugin from the camera ..

if you dont see it with IE try smartpss... maybe you will see more options ;)

JesseSR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
internet explorer ?! you will only have all functions in internet explorer with installed plugin from the camera ..
if you dont see it with IE try smartpss... maybe you will see more options ;)
Yes, using IE. I will look into what SmartPSS is.

@wittaj I changed my camera angle a TINY bit so the left side isn't cut off. Left the tripwire where it was.

OLD CAMERA ANGLE:
1630073278185.png

NEW CAMERA ANGLE:
1630073351143.png

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
For me it sounds like they use the firmware from their ptz dual thermal cams and made a hack to get it work on non ptz cams :D so something is working but not all

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Hmm. I'm not sure what that is. never used it?

It’s a stand alone software viewer that plays nice with Dahua cameras and NVRs . Use it as a live viewer, for playback, and for downloading (mp4) clips. Interface much easier than the camera or NVR GUI for this. Shows IVS lines in live and playback modes.

When installing , don’t install the VMS module, it sucks. But the viewer is very handy. I don’t use the NVR or camera GUI for playback or live viewing or downloading anymore.

JesseSR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I installed SmartPSS and added my camera directly to it by IP. When searching the video from this morning, I still don't see any way to see IVS rule options in SmartPSS when viewing the videos. Where would I find them? (any screenshot help?)

This is selected by default in the Setting screen.

1630075557229.png

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
That should do it. Maybe close and reopen the program?

There are a bunch of versions, I’m using older ones which seem less buggy.

Start a playback if a single camera and see if the timeline is showing IVS event hash marks…

JesseSR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't think I see "event" marks/lines in any of my camera's timelines, regardless if I view in DMSS (which I do most of the time for "recent" events), or on the webpage-GUI of the camera, or in SmartPSS? Can you share a screenshot of what it should look like and I'll compare to mine?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It would be the same icon as the live view. On my camera it is the icon on the right of the volume slider.

1630079266756.png

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Make sure first you have IVS setup properly on the camera

Then be sure you are recording IVS on the NVR

I’ll show IVS in timeline in SmartPSS as soon as I get back to my pc

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Tripwire and Intrusion box in Live View of Smartpss
(On some versions you have to first doubleclick and open the full stream view for the IVS lines to appear)
live-view.jpg

Playback mode
IVS lines and hash marks on timeline visible
Tripwire-playbak2.jpg

Vehicle tripping IVS line
(note the zig zag first IVS line is set to Human only so it ignores the vehicle)
Tripwire-playbak.jpg

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Exporting clips can be done 2 ways

1- Using the scissor icon on the timeline
download1.jpg download2.jpg

2- choosing the recording from the time list on the right
download3.jpg

JesseSR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Update.. I called support this morning for some issues. got into L2 support quickly, Gerry was sharp and easy to work with. He gave me new (not released publicly) firmware for my 2 thermal cameras, build date 7/7/2021 for DF1241N-D7F8 , and also gave me updated firmware for my NVR too, build date 7/27/2021.

This to hopefully fix the issues I've been seeing where the IVS works (21 out of 22 times) and records the event on the cameras (21 out of 22 times) , but for 5 of those 22 times, the NVR doesn't record the event and there also is no DMSS notification. He couldn't say if the new firmware "address" any of these issues, but requested we start with that.

He also asked me to factory reset my 2 cameras and my NVR, which my installed will do on Tuesday (I'm not comfortable resetting everything up myself).

Also a few other notes...
I am able to see the IVS rules/tripwires when viewing PAST videos (to see the reasons why a tripwire might not have been tripped), but I can only see the IVS rules/tripwiress from the NVR itself (using the SEARCH (Record, picture query and playback) from the main desktop screen. I cannot vew IVS rules/tripwires when viewing the playback from the cameras themselves directly (I thought I could but, nope).

The 1 time out of 22 times that the IVS/tripwire didn't work in the last 24 hours, I think I probably improved upon now (hopefully fixed !!) by aiming the camera slightly left about 1.5 feet or so... (since the tire was outside of the camera view and that's important to picked up for the thermal camera).

Appreciate all the help and input from everyone!

JesseSR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Okay.. bear with me. Lots of info to update!! With a FULL WALK THROUGH on the exact nature of the issue.

Here is the latest. Even after installing the latest 7/27/2021 firmware on the NVR, we still continued to have tons of problems that L2 couldn't figure out the reasons why. That firmware from 7/27/21 also introduced a few NEW problems that we didn't have on earlier firmware code (which we also reported back to L2 support). After continuing to work on the various issues with Dahua L2 support, they finally determined that our DHI-NVR5216-16P-I NVR was defective and needed to be RMA'd. Too many random unexplained problems that made no sense. Even after factory resetting the NVR, basic things that -should- have worked, did not work consistently -- it was all very random and weird and didn't make much sense (I'm talking about other glitches apart from the original problem which was the IVS tripwires not being consistent). An RMA was issued and we got a new DHI-NVR5216-16P-I NVR within the last 5 days.
We installed the replacement DHI-NVR5216-16P-I NVR and left it at the original firmware installed on it, for now (March 2020), because we weren't happy with additional problems we found in the 7/27/21 firmware release, and wanted to try an older more stable release. (our plan is to get onto a 2021 firmware release, then factory reset again, sometime this Thursday).

So far with the replacement NVR that we received, 85-90% of the random problems with everything (IVS triggers, alerting, recording, funky/weird things that can't be explained easily, etc.) seem to be working better. We still have some IVS tripwires that on occasion won't trigger an IVS alert properly (on the camera itself!) but we feel we'll get those concerns addressed Thursday when we do the 3 calibrations on the non-thermal camera (using the 3 meter stick). The (3) DF1241N thermal cameras do NOT have the calibration option unfortunately, but they seem to be working much better as well.

Bear with me for this next paragraph, as I want to explain what SHOULD happen when a successful IVS tripwire event occurs on a camera:

1. The camera -should- create an entry for the tripwire "event" locally in the camera's log (this always works properly for me)

2. The NVR -should- also log the event itself under the Alarm section here (Screenshot #1) (this always works properly for me)
1631040860126.png(Screenshot #1)

3. The NVR -should- also log a recording of the event in the Playback/Search section. (Screenshot #2) (this always works properly for me)
1631040935678.png(Screenshot #2)

4. The NVR -should- also log a recording of the event in the AI Search section. (Screenshot #3) (this is what DOESN'T WORK sometimes)
1631041107172.png
(Screenshot #3)

Now, this part is important.... Every single time the recording DOESN'T show up in the AI Search on the NVR, I do NOT get a DMSS push notification to my phone either.

Right now, about 5-20% of the successful tripwire events that show up properly in the NVR Alarms and NVR Playback/Search section, DOES NOT ALSO SHOW UP in the NVR AI Search, like it should, and therefore does not generate a DMSS push notification either. This holds true across our DF1241N cameras and N55DU82 cameras.

Let me walk you through 2 examples:

EXAMPLE #1 -- Camera #9

1. At 10:56:54am, the IVS tripwire (vehicle) is triggered successfully.
2. The event is logged properly on the camera.
3. The event is logged properly on the NVR (Screenshot #4)
1631041760666.png(Screenshot #4)

4. The event is recorded properly on the NVR under PLAYBACK/SEARCH (Screenshot #5)
1631041802268.png(Screenshot #5)

5. The event is NOT recorded properly on the NVR under the AI Search section (Screenshot #6)
1631041962098.png(Screenshot #6)

As a result, the Push Notification to DMSS is never sent.
* IF the event appears in the Camera Log, the NVR Log, -and- in the PLAYBACK/SEARCH, it should ALSO appear in the AI Search! *

EXAMPLE #2 -- Camera #2 (different camera than from the other example)

1. At 3:41:14pm, the IVS tripwire (person) is triggered successfully.
2. The event is logged properly on the camera.
3. The event is logged properly on the NVR (Screenshot #7)
1631042176240.pngScreenshot #7

4. . The event is recorded properly on the NVR under PLAYBACK/SEARCH (Screenshot #8)
1631042243666.pngScreenshot #8

5. The event is NOT recorded properly on the NVR under the AI Search section (Screenshot #9)
1631042384249.png
As a result, the Push Notification to DMSS is never sent.
* IF the event appears in the Camera Log, the NVR Log, -and- in the PLAYBACK/SEARCH, it should ALSO appear in the AI Search! *

So there you have it. MANY of the issues we faced proved to be a defective NVR that we RMA's. It's MUCH better now, but it's still not perfect. The tripwires are working very effectively, but recording of that event under the AI SEARCH is NOT working in some cases, which also leads to NO DMSS push notifications for that particular event too.

Like I mentioned, on Thursday we will probably try firmware from 2021, and then do a full factory reset as well afterwards. Will try to report back.

EDIT: Disregard the 3 additional attachments.

Attachments

Last edited:

JesseSR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Okay, a couple more updates.... Today we updated the NVR to firmware 7/27/2021 and then factory reset. Things are working much better, but we are STILL running into the issue where 10-30% of the successful IVS tripwires are NOT recording under "AI SEARCH" and are not sending out DMSS notifications. This SEEMS to be isolated specifically to the DF1241N-D7F8 thermal cameras (which are both visual and thermal). We do not seem to be having the problem with the N55DU82 cameras. Dahua L2 support has been notified and verify what we are seeing on our system, and they are escalating the issue to Dahua HQ as they haven't been able to replicate the issue with their test systems since they dont have a DF1241N-D7F8 thermal camera available to test with, yet.

So in short, both the Example #1 and Example #2 problems noted in my last post above still are true for those DF1241N-D7F8 cameras. The good news is, the tripwires/IVS are working (as seen in the NVR's Alarm Event log and the NVR's Search/Playback). But for some reason the AI Search in the DHI-NVR5216-16P-I NVR is hit or miss and so is DMSS notifications, with these model cameras.

ANYONE else running these DF1241N-D7F8 thermal cameras on the forum? or with the DHI-NVR5216-16P-I NVR ? I want to get another one of these cameras to cover one more area, but, I'm hesitant to get one until they resolve these issues?