[tool] [tutorial] Free AI Person Detection for Blue Iris

spammenotinoz

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
For those running the Windows GPU I noticed Deepstack only uses about 1% of the GPU processing power so this could be of interest if you run the VorlonCD version of AITool. Note AITool will only start one instance at the moment.
Can confirm this is working well with the version you supplied with 6 instances. Going beyond 6 works, but find I hit the Deepstack idle issue, ie: Deepstack seems to pause for 200-300ms, if it goes quiet for a while.

Had to launch from powershell, launching multiple instances from the CMD seemed to conflict with each other (ofcourse different ports were used)

astroshare

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is my driveway camera placement wrong? Seems like DS/AITOOL is not picking up persons while near or in the same frame as my car.

1st shot picked me up just fine
Screen Shot 2021-01-12 at 9.37.24 PM.png
Then I walked to my passenger door and it didn't pick me up
Screen Shot 2021-01-12 at 9.37.33 PM.png
Then it picked me up again as I was walking away
Screen Shot 2021-01-12 at 9.38.16 PM.png

Should I move the camera to the center of the garage?
Thanks.

Attachments

spammenotinoz

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Is my driveway camera placement wrong? Seems like DS/AITOOL is not picking up persons while near or in the same frame as my car.

1st shot picked me up just fine
View attachment 79529
Then I walked to my passenger door and it didn't pick me up
View attachment 79528
Then it picked me up again as I was walking away
View attachment 79526

Should I move the camera to the center of the garage?
Thanks.
Camera placement is not bad, but this is a Good reference case, on why an areas should ideally be covered by 2 cameras with different views. Specifically a second cam on the left pointing to the right will get faces of people approaching from the right and detect a person.
Recognizing a person 3/4 hidden behind a car and with such low contrast will be a tough ask.
See if you can improve the contrast, but think you will struggle unless you can get the cam to see more torso.
Also highlights the importance of constantly recording, that way you just need to detect the person approaching or leaving and then review footage in between.

astroshare

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Camera placement is not bad, but this is a Good reference case, on why an areas should ideally be covered by 2 cameras with different views. Specifically a second cam on the left pointing to the right will get faces of people approaching from the right and detect a person.
Recognizing a person 3/4 hidden behind a car and with such low contrast will be a tough ask.
See if you can improve the contrast, but think you will struggle unless you can get the cam to see more torso.
Also highlights the importance of constantly recording, that way you just need to detect the person approaching or leaving and then review footage in between.
Yeah, I have 24x7 recording of the substream. Might have to shell out some cash and buy another camera though, just have to convince the wifey.

spammenotinoz

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yeah, I have 24x7 recording of the substream. Might have to shell out some cash and buy another camera though, just have to convince the wifey.
This is obviously a personal install for you, unless you have an immediate need you can improve your system over time and find out what works best for you.
If you wait a year for the second camera, there will likely better models. That's the good thing about Blue Iris the cameras don't need to be the same, they can be completely different vendors.
Andy from EmpireTech can be found on these forums, I have purchased a few from him at good prices.

I was like you keeping 24x7 of the sub-stream, then I moved to keeping main stream 24x7 based on the following;
  • Recommendations from these forums
  • BI supporting dual streams, basically now runs on the smell of an oily rag
  • Cheap storage (found a decent deals on 6 TB drives) and they just seem to be getting cheaper
  • H.265 compression with CBR (although it can come with a performance and slight quality hit with most vendors)
(caveat where I use an older CPU that doesn't support H.265 hardware, I use H.264 with VBR). Similar storage usage to H.265 CBR. H.265 VBR always artifacts at night with motion for me.
  • Stopped chasing Megapixels, and maximum bit rates (still have some 4K's but went more for the 2K low light models
  • Adopted Deep-Quest AI to Flag key events
  • Disappointed with the quality of sub-stream, main stream is so much better. If an event happens and you only have sub-stream footage, you will be disappointed.
  • Set more realistic retention periods. I think when I started I was keeping all footage forever on the cloud. It wasn't a bandwidth issue it's just that for home, I have no real interest in footage older than a month, and just came to the conclusion it was very wasteful. For me the cams are a visual deterrent, a hobby and peace of mind to monitor pets ect.. when away. Like being on holiday's and checking in to view the chickens in the back yard, checking a parcel wasn't left on the doormat.
  • Reduced the quality of sub-streams, just so it's enough to detect motion. The SNAPS sent to DeepStack are from the MainStream (but have BI downsize them first), seems more efficient.

Most importantly, enjoy and continue to learn and share. There are many people here that know a heck of a lot more than me and I try and learn from them. I also experiment after firmware\software updates as things change.

I must say that while I was always happy with BlueIris motion detection and app (the key reason I switched to BlueIris), this thread about Free AI Person detection has been an absolute game changer.
Like I have telegram notifications enabled when I am away and the detection rate has been astoundingly good. We have had some suspicious activity and the amount of time reviewing flagged events v's triggered events has been an absolute game changer in-terms of quality of life and time saved.

maximosm

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The latest compiled but not 'officially released' version looks to be v2.0.526 found on an open issue in VorlonCD's GitHub here: [Feature Request] Add Pushover Notifications · Issue #126 · VorlonCD/bi-aidetection
With this version getting an error..
tryied the versions 2.0.522.7681 and 2.0.526 when i open the new setting tab and setting up the url i get error :

Deepstack returned 'Invalid value for min_confidence' - http status code 'BadRequest' (400) in 38ms: Bad Request.

... AI URL for 'DeepStack' failed '6' times. Disabling: ''

My setup is with ip from a jetson nano.

Tinbum

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
With this version getting an error..
tryied the versions 2.0.522.7681 and 2.0.526 when i open the new setting tab and setting up the url i get error :

Deepstack returned 'Invalid value for min_confidence' - http status code 'BadRequest' (400) in 38ms: Bad Request.

... AI URL for 'DeepStack' failed '6' times. Disabling: ''

My setup is with ip from a jetson nano.

jz3082

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
  • Reduced the quality of sub-streams, just so it's enough to detect motion. The SNAPS sent to DeepStack are from the MainStream (but have BI downsize them first), seems more efficient.
Spammenotinoz,

I am interested in your configuration of BI to capture a jpeg from the main stream. My current configuration is using a cloned camera for motion detection. It is using the main and sub streams in there standard corresponding locations. The clone triggers on motion and generates a jpeg from the sub-stream. The clone master records 24X7 and is triggered by external URL from my home automation system.

The only way I have been able to get a jpeg from the mainstream is to setup a second camera using only the main stream. My CPU usage has increased using the mainstream on this camera for motion detection. One other question, what have you found is an acceptable image resolution that provides a good balance between DeepStack processing speed and object identification accuracy?

astroshare

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This is obviously a personal install for you, unless you have an immediate need you can improve your system over time and find out what works best for you.
If you wait a year for the second camera, there will likely better models. That's the good thing about Blue Iris the cameras don't need to be the same, they can be completely different vendors.
Andy from EmpireTech can be found on these forums, I have purchased a few from him at good prices.

I was like you keeping 24x7 of the sub-stream, then I moved to keeping main stream 24x7 based on the following;
  • Recommendations from these forums
  • BI supporting dual streams, basically now runs on the smell of an oily rag
  • Cheap storage (found a decent deals on 6 TB drives) and they just seem to be getting cheaper
  • H.265 compression with CBR (although it can come with a performance and slight quality hit with most vendors)
(caveat where I use an older CPU that doesn't support H.265 hardware, I use H.264 with VBR). Similar storage usage to H.265 CBR. H.265 VBR always artifacts at night with motion for me.
  • Stopped chasing Megapixels, and maximum bit rates (still have some 4K's but went more for the 2K low light models
  • Adopted Deep-Quest AI to Flag key events
  • Disappointed with the quality of sub-stream, main stream is so much better. If an event happens and you only have sub-stream footage, you will be disappointed.
  • Set more realistic retention periods. I think when I started I was keeping all footage forever on the cloud. It wasn't a bandwidth issue it's just that for home, I have no real interest in footage older than a month, and just came to the conclusion it was very wasteful. For me the cams are a visual deterrent, a hobby and peace of mind to monitor pets ect.. when away. Like being on holiday's and checking in to view the chickens in the back yard, checking a parcel wasn't left on the doormat.

Most importantly, enjoy and continue to learn and share. There are many people here that know a heck of a lot more than me and I try and learn from them. I also experiment after firmware\software updates as things change.

I must say that while I was always happy with BlueIris motion detection and app (the key reason I switched to BlueIris), this thread about Free AI Person detection has been an absolute game changer.
Like I have telegram notifications enabled when I am away and the detection rate has been astoundingly good. We have had some suspicious activity and the amount of time reviewing flagged events v's triggered events has been an absolute game changer in-terms of quality of life and time saved.
Thank you for all the recommendations. I don't have any 4K cameras. After reading through this forum I went with 4x IP5M-T1179EW-28MM and 2xIPC-T5442TM-AS 2.8mm (driveway is one of them)
My current BI machine is a i5-10th gen with 16GB of ram, a 256GB NVME drive for Windows 10 OS and a 2TB Seagate SkyHawk for storage, which then offloads old recordings to my Unraid NAS (plenty of storage there).
I'm going to play with the Main stream 24x7 recording. My cameras are currently set as below with H264H since H265 was making me loose frames on the clips. Any suggestions for these settings?

cap2.PNG

Question, is there even a point to have substream active if 24x7 recording and AITOOL snapshots are taken from the MainStream?
Never mind, I see that BI uses the substream for motion detection

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm used to all this, and have been pushing through this bad for a while without finding an answer. For some reason every time there's a motion event, it takes a snapshot of the events, then AI interface tool says unable to open image because it is already being used by another program.

spammenotinoz

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Spammenotinoz,

I am interested in your configuration of BI to capture a jpeg from the main stream. My current configuration is using a cloned camera for motion detection. It is using the main and sub streams in there standard corresponding locations. The clone triggers on motion and generates a jpeg from the sub-stream. The clone master records 24X7 and is triggered by external URL from my home automation system.

The only way I have been able to get a jpeg from the mainstream is to setup a second camera using only the main stream. My CPU usage has increased using the mainstream on this camera for motion detection. One other question, what have you found is an acceptable image resolution that provides a good balance between DeepStack processing speed and object identification accuracy?
Sorry can only provide a quick response now, but it was only recently added 3 features that relate to your use case;
1. Duel Stream Support (there are guides here with some critical settings such as aligning frame rates between main and sub-streams)
2. They later added the ability to "scale\resize the JPEG" within BI
3. There was an update that changed so that in a dual Stream setup, the JPEGS come automatically now from the main stream (originally they were from the sub stream)
I have used the clone setup before, and it does work quite well, so nothing against it, just more complex.

For you other question, I am still learning but I am using "1272x720". I am using the GPU version (6 instances) and have no resource issues so no point in going lower. I was actually thinking of going back to 1080p to increase the Quality of my Telegram alerts.

JL-F1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
AiTool--->cameras--->actions/settings--->'cooldown time'

Does the camera cooldown setting only come into effect when their is a positve result and the URL is called? or is it on any analyzed jpg?

I would like to set it to the min length I have my triggered HD recordings going, to help eliminate extra analyses

Last edited:

astroshare

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
AiTool--->cameras--->actions/settings--->'cooldown time'

Does the camera cooldown setting only come into effect when their is a positve result and the URL is called? or is it on any analyzed jpg?

I would like to set it to the min length I have my triggered HD recordings going, to help eliminate extra analyses
I believe it's after a positive detection it goes into timeout.

Sireone

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This writeup has a way to get the exact JPG (that AI triggered on) . He customized the AI app to give additional settings.
Adding &jpeg=[ImagePathEscaped] to the trigger URL copies the AI image to the BI Alerts folder. BI then uses this image for it's alert email action.

I'm glad I'm doing this as there's no way I would be staying up at 1am adjusting confidence levels after determining that my umbrella is NOT a cat!

FrontDoor.20210113_190813.112978.19.jpg

joshwah

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Anyone know what these errors mean when compiling?

Code:
1>------ Build started: Project: UI, Configuration: Debug Any CPU ------
1>CSC : error CS1617: Invalid option '8.0' for /langversion. Use '/langversion:?' to list supported values.
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

astroshare

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Adding &jpeg=[ImagePathEscaped] to the trigger URL copies the AI image to the BI Alerts folder. BI then uses this image for it's alert email action.

I'm glad I'm doing this as there's no way I would be staying up at 1am adjusting confidence levels after determining that my umbrella is NOT a cat!

View attachment 79695
This doesn't work 100% of the time (at least with SMS notifications). I was playing around with it, and the same camera would sometimes use the snapshot from AITOOL and others the one from BI.
I'm using BI 5.3.8.3

Screen Shot 2021-01-15 at 9.04.04 PM.png

spammenotinoz

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

Wow, this small change has made the Alerts so much more relevant. Thank-you!!