[tool] [tutorial] Free AI Person Detection for Blue Iris

seth-feinberg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It sends flags to BI so that your recording will be indexed with clips so that you can see events. Without aitool the events will simply be triggered unprocessed.
Ahh fantastic explanation thank you. Kind of like a bookmark in the recording is how I understand this.

That's easy, there is no connection!
No connection to what? I was asking what the difference is? is there a difference? In your earlier first response:

I assume you meant Clone and not simply dual stream?
This question is where my confusion started. Sorry about my slowness...

Village Guy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Ahh fantastic explanation thank you. Kind of like a bookmark in the recording is how I understand this.

No connection to what? I was asking what the difference is? is there a difference? In your earlier first response:

This question is where my confusion started. Sorry about my slowness...
See my edited reply, I sort of guessed it might need clarification

seth-feinberg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
haha i saw that, but nope I'm still confused. I guess I'll just re-read everything. I think i'm further away from what I was trying to figure out. So what exactly changed in AI Tool from 1.65 to 1.67 in regards to the suggested method of implementation?

Village Guy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I was afraid of that. Here are some screenshots:
In a camera, there are settings on TRIGGER for"Capture an Alert List Image"
View attachment 75352
and on the Record tab for "Include all JPEG's"
View attachment 75351

If these boxes are CHECKED, I get an alert list image any time anything triggers the BI motion detect settings, which are turned DOWN because we're letting AITool do the work. This also results in an app notification for every jpeg.

View attachment 75353

However, if I turn those checkboxes OFF, the app now shows ZERO notifications (or recordings if I go to the alerts tab, or try to browse alerts from the live video button), BUT the WebUI has them there all nice and pretty as you please:
View attachment 75354

So, I either get EVERY POSSIBLE notification or ZERO, neither of which is ideal. IDK how to see my recordings in the app at all. Very odd.
Your really not helping me. I need to know if you are using cloned cameras recording triggered clips or single cameras recording continously. The setup is different for each configuration

whoami ™

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I was afraid of that. Here are some screenshots:
In a camera, there are settings on TRIGGER for"Capture an Alert List Image"
and on the Record tab for "Include all JPEG's"
If these boxes are CHECKED, I get an alert list image any time anything triggers the BI motion detect settings, which are turned DOWN because we're letting AITool do the work. This also results in an app notification for every jpeg.

However, if I turn those checkboxes OFF, the app now shows ZERO notifications (or recordings if I go to the alerts tab, or try to browse alerts from the live video button), BUT the WebUI has them there all nice and pretty as you pSo, I either get EVERY POSSIBLE notification or ZERO, neither of which is ideal. IDK how to see my recordings in the app at all. Very odd.
Think this is what your wanting....

1.PNG2.PNG

Village Guy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
haha i saw that, but nope I'm still confused. I guess I'll just re-read everything. I think i'm further away from what I was trying to figure out. So what exactly changed in AI Tool from 1.65 to 1.67 in regards to the suggested method of implementation?
OK forget all about versions at it is just confusing you. State what you would like to achieve and I will try and guide you.

seth-feinberg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@Village Guy I guess i'll go back to the original question: I am using, I THINK , cloned cameras (Amcrest with 2 streams). I don't really have space limitations, but seems wildly inefficient to continuously record 16 4k cams. What I thought I was doing was taking stills from the SD stream, sending them to a folder monitored by AI Tool which would then tell the HD stream to record a clip when a relevant event is observed. The 1st post in the thread suggests that I should be using flags as of v1.67 as the preferred method, but you're saying it shouldn't really matter and that flags are only useful if you are continuously recording?

Village Guy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@Village Guy I guess i'll go back to the original question: I am using, I THINK , cloned cameras (Amcrest with 2 streams). I don't really have space limitations, but seems wildly inefficient to continuously record 16 4k cams. What I thought I was doing was taking stills from the SD stream, sending them to a folder monitored by AI Tool which would then tell the HD stream to record a clip when a relevant event is observed. The 1st post in the thread suggests that I should be using flags as of v1.67 as the preferred method, but you're saying it shouldn't really matter and that flags are only useful if you are continuously recording?
V1.67 is aimed at folks that would like to have a configuration without cloned cameras. It only works when your setup is to record continously.
V1.67 is also compatible with cloned cameras!

Stream selection is a BI function NO CONNECTION with aitool. When BI is setup for dual stream it can save a CH1 hd stream as a clip when triggered.

seth-feinberg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
AHHHHHHHH! THANK YOU! I was just rereading Post #1. It seems to say that the recommended method is NOW continuous recording with flags being sent, but itmakes so much more sense if it's really just an added feature. I don't really understand how the flag feature works in practice but at least now I realize it's def not my issue. This does create a new question. Why am I even saving jpegs from the SD stream, seems like (and you suggested) that having AI Tool analyze High def images would be better and doesn't seem like it would require that much extra space for the jpegs.

I'll forumate where I'm going next but thanks so much for taking the time to get me to understanding this much.

Senor Pibb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
For each camera in AI tool, do you need a cancel URL for MQTT cancel to fire? I have my trigger URLs working, but don't have a cancel URL config. Although I would like the MQTT cancel to fire. Also if does fire is it timed? Thanks

1605831815355.png

seth-feinberg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I feel like a real goon for asking this but how do I install Chris Dodge's latest version, the one with the Masking feature @Village Guy mentioned? I followed the advice of unzipping and overwriting but it's a completely different file structure from what I installed on the first page.

Attachments

barnyard

n3wb
Reaction score
I feel like a real goon for asking this but how do I install Chris Dodge's latest version, the one with the Masking feature @Village Guy mentioned? I followed the advice of unzipping and overwriting but it's a completely different file structure from what I installed on the first page.
You downloaded the source. You need the files found here:

Look for the one named AITOOL-VORLONCD.zip

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Tinbum

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@Village Guy I guess i'll go back to the original question: I am using, I THINK , cloned cameras (Amcrest with 2 streams).
Cloned cameras is within BI and nothing to do with the actual camera you have.

Clone means 'copy' so in BI you set up a camera and then copy it. It in effect lets you have 2 setups for 1 camera, one to send images to AITool and then one to do what AITool wants it to do. (BI also doesn't use double the CPU processing for them)

seth-feinberg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You downloaded the source. You need the files found here:

Look for the one named AITOOL-VORLONCD.zip

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Ahhhh thank you!

Cloned cameras is within BI and nothing to do with the actual camera you have.

Clone means 'copy' so in BI you set up a camera and then copy it. It in effect lets you have 2 setups for 1 camera, one to send images to AITool and then one to do what AITool wants it to do. (BI also doesn't use double the CPU processing for them)
Thank you so much for that explanation. I had moved on and thought it was not important to fully understand but now I do and it was honestly bothering me. So i have cloned my cameras with 2 substreams in BI, what does dual stream mean then? just the fact that my cameras can record 2 different resolutions at a time?

Tinbum

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Ahhhh thank you!

Thank you so much for that explanation. I had moved on and thought it was not important to fully understand but now I do and it was honestly bothering me. So i have cloned my cameras with 2 substreams in BI, what does dual stream mean then? just the fact that my cameras can record 2 different resolutions at a time?
Send 2 different resolutions at the same time.

seth-feinberg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
haha I feel like such an idiot and that I'm going around in circles. I've set up 2 streams for each Camera in the Camera's (amcrest) interface, and I have 2 different streams loaded into BI for each of these Cameras (the main 4k stream and the SD substream). Did I clone these cameras?

I'm learning a lot from this thread viewing and recording different quality streams but haven't quite gotten my answer...

seth-feinberg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You did not clone the cameras, you used the integrated dual cam recording feature. Cloning cameras would be if you had DOUBLE INSTANCES of each camera in BI, each at a different resolution.
This guide is very very good, if a tiny smidge outdated: danecreekphotography/node-deepstackai-trigger
Oh thank you so much, i've been googling like a mad man and coming up empty, Then i tried the Blue Iris Manual in it's hundreds of pages of glory. thank you very much, hopefully this will keep me away til i have a much less banal question.