Three Dahua Bricks... Is There a Trick to UNBrick?

ccssid

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That's an impressive little switch, right there. Added to my list for future expansion in the shop which has a 4poe/4non switch right now.
My comment re: fanless vs power was prompted by searching 16~24 port switches, it looked like all the poe versions and especially the high wattage units were all fan. 200~400W of throughput will necessarily expel a good percentage of that energy as heat locally.
Even more reason to Daisey chain several smaller fanless units.

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What do you consider high wattage? I have an incredibly modest fanless VLAN capable switch for IPC's which I picked up back when I started this journey, and it's only a 4 port but has a 120W budget. You can cycle a port's power without losing PoE to that device downstream, test for shorts, and loops etc. At the time all I cared about was decent wattages, an intuitive web UI, and that it was basic, and advanced VLAN capable including 802.1Q (basic/advanced) so it could continue to serve as my network grew. I guess, in your case, it would also matter where the switch is physically (in which building), and whether something like this would play in your ecosystem.

Yep, I have two of those, got them a couple of weeks ago when Amazon had them for $30 off. :) One of them is running a couple of cameras including the 49225 PTZ which is the highest power demand I have.

MrSurly

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Well, I cancelled the order on the 24p. I'm still leaning toward the OMADA SDN feature (only because I have some of the pieces now), But that little NetGear above,is tempting IF it was on sale. To replace my failing switch would take a BUNCH of them. The good news is that my failing switch is working for now and since I was able to cancel the other, I now have the option to take a better look around at what's out there. Maybe three 8p switches or two 16s.
Maybe I SHOULD just forget about buying management features as I likely won't ever bother with them. I've not used any V-lan yet and I'm not sure it would do anything especially useful for my set up.

MrSurly

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Looking at what TP-Link has, if i want to retain the Omada compatibility, have a fanless PoE+ and redundancy, they have only one model, this 8+2 port. And, it's not high powered.
Still looking. Now at the Netgear line.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

ccssid

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of BV Tech. Their power supplies are kind of weak. The one I had, a 16 port, wouldn't start under load, IE with cameras plugged into it. So if there was a power failure, pre UPS being online, I had t rush in an unplug the cameras before power came back up. That happened once too often and it wouldn't power back on. Now I'm using two IPCamPower 16 port switches. They're on a second NIC in the BI machine so a VLAN would be redundant redundancy.

ccssid

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of BV Tech. Their power supplies are kind of weak. The one I had, a 16 port, wouldn't start under load, IE with cameras plugged into it. So if there was a power failure, pre UPS being online, I had t rush in an unplug the cameras before power came back up. That happened once too often and it wouldn't power back on. Now I'm using two IPCamPower 16 port switches. They're on a second NIC in the BI machine so a VLAN would be redundant redundancy.
Good to know. My cameras are set up similarly. A 2nd nic in BI pc going to an 8 port unify switch. The one problem I have is this switch refuses to be re- adopted by the Unifi Controller. The adoption only lasted a few months. Mute point as I am not changing the port management settings any time soon.

MrSurly

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Good to know. My cameras are set up similarly. A 2nd nic in BI pc going to an 8 port unify switch. The one problem I have is this switch refuses to be re- adopted by the Unifi Controller. The adoption only lasted a few months. Mute point as I am not changing the port management settings any time soon.
Earlier I looked at the IPCT switch because i assume it’s good because it’s in the store, right?
The 16 and 24 are b/o. and apparently they’re all unmanaged.
I’m trying to find a 12 or 16 port similar to the beefy little 4-port that was posted. Fanless/managed/Hi-Power is a tall order if you want more than four ports.

Last edited:

MrSurly

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
To provide some wrap-up of this thread... Following the advice of several here, instead of getting another 24Ppoe switch, I ended up with three switches, staying with TPlink and with the Omada capability (which I have yet to actually employ but the capability is there).
I was trying to go completely fanless but that would mean only the minimal poe power budget. I want to have some headroom so that later PTZs don't cause power problems. This way I can simply make sure the high-load cams go into the 'big' box. My compromise is two 8-port low-power fanless TL-SG2210P V3 and a single 'high power' 8port with a fan TL-SG2210MP.
16BBDADD-FF32-4A75-9EC7-75E81C1B5A16.jpeg

The two fanless units happen to be desktop models (lights front, cables back) and the other unit is 'rack style' cables in front. Good news is that none of them are monstrous full-depth rack size, so that's good. Fully plug&play, I haven't tried to manage anything yet but all the cameras pop right up on connection and I no longer have a jet engine running in my closet. The fan on the high power unit is whisper quiet when it runs and even better, it rarely runs!
EDIT: I SERIOUSLY need to find the label maker!

Last edited:

MrSurly

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Once again, the forum has helped save me some headache!. On the considered advice of many here I replaced my failed 24P switch with three 8P switches for the redundancy factor. It has now been implemented as the larger switch (SG2210MP) just took a dump. The ethernet was still passing through to the other switches and power was good, but no poe and no signal on any of its ports.
Reset, power cycle etc but it’s stone cold dead.
I had just the minimum required redundancy to run everything on the two remaining smaller boxes.

Now to see about the warranty. Im
right at 90 days.

Last edited: