The Typical picture of a Perp on Nextdoor-type Apps with Consumer Grade Cameras like Ring, Nest, Arlo, Canary, Wyze, etc.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Two perps sneaking up to steal the American Flag from this house at 12:30am.

1687810921749.png\

The perp even stops and doesn't move and looks at his phone while his accomplice steals the flag....and you still cannot make out anything on the face

1687810998473.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Lucky for them at 9:25 there was still enough light out for this guy checking their house for an unlocked front door.…unfortunately for them their doorbell camera battery was dead so they didn't get a good close up...

1688700095348.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Surely that can’t be the best or closest still pic of the perp?

I have a Ring pro doorbell and it does pretty well during both the day and night if the perp comes up to my front door.
Yep that was the best it could do and was the closest the perp got to the camera. Classic case of the camera too far away. The package was left right there where the perp was and not closer to the door and camera.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Can anyone make out the plate of this vehicle that the occupants were stealing catalytic converters? Or even make out the make of vehicle LOL

1688831476110.png 1688831492671.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Holy cow, some of those captures are horrible.
Yep, and that is why I started this thread!

Through marketing, these consumer grade companies have convinced the average consumer that poor nighttime videos are acceptable. Consumers are conditioned to believe that you cannot get good quality night images from surveillance cameras.

Look at all the countless Nextdoor and FB posts where people are posting crap video and pics and not one person ever says "hey there are cameras that can give you better images", or if someone does, they are ignored as someone doesn't want to accept something is better than their $250 Ring camera... It is just accepted that this is the best that can be done.

The police are shocked when something happens and members here can actually provide them video and pictures that are useful. Even they are conditioned to believe that good night video isn't possible. Their exact words are "What Ring camera captured this?" And we are like it ain't no Ring LOL.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This guy has been showing up at people's door naked with a hammer at 1am. I guess this is better than most captures, but still a pixelated mess from probably a combo of wifi and digital zoom:

1688875813596.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hammer because of naked? Or just two details unrelatedly related?
Here was the post LOL:

For this past month this person who we don't know has been showing up at our property many times and trying to get into our house. One time he came to our house naked at almost 1 am in the morning with a hammer. We called the police a couple times but they're not able to do anything about it.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Interestingly, they've now brought out a Ring Elite POE doorbell for a massive £349!!!

It looks as though it uses the same sensor as the Pro 2 / Doorbell 4.

I've seen some video on people's phones of the Pro 2 and it looks almost like Dahua in the day. That said, though, full size video on Youtube, looks nothing close. Pesonally, I can't see myself paying £349 for POE on a Ring when other manufacturers offer potentially euqal or better doorbells for a lot less.

I also find it amazing that no-one has a 4mp or greater doorbell that sees well at night and is poe and wireless, espeiclaly given mobile phones these days can have some pretty wild camera sensors in very thin light packages. Surely Dahua or someone can produce a camera with 5442 style abilities and even colour night vision in a doorbell package?

Last edited: