The Typical picture of a Perp on Nextdoor-type Apps with Consumer Grade Cameras like Ring, Nest, Arlo, Canary, Wyze, etc.

DsineR

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Take that same camera setup. bring it out to my farm and we will look at the same objects at 2:00am. Betcha you won't even capture a face, and maybe some motion blur.
But I don't live on a farm, mute point.
Street lighting, garage lights & entrance light provide plenty of night time illumination for usable images.

Nunofya

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Anyone have samples of the Arlo Ulta 2? Supposed to be 8mp with a 1/2 inch sensor. Not being able to adjust shutter speed would be an issue, but wondering how they would be as an overview cam.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Is that one of those new drone cameras we've seen in Ukraine?

As the estate agent would say, location, location, location...

IF you're going to have a blurred picture, at least get a good one!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone have samples of the Arlo Ulta 2? Supposed to be 8mp with a 1/2 inch sensor. Not being able to adjust shutter speed would be an issue, but wondering how they would be as an overview cam.

Arlo Ultra 2 specs ..

Max Resolution 4K
FOV 180 degree diagonal
Sensor Size 1/2"

Due to the FOV I would expect this to not have a long ID distance .. also as they are typically cloud dependent cameras, they often have significant compression issues ..

1679001771373.png

JDreaming

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Look at all that light! A well configured camera would have gotten a perfect still.
That's LifeHackster the camera review guy from youtube. I watch lots of his videos when I first start learning about security cameras. :lol:

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
8mp on a 1/2" sensor size is a lot of pixels on a very small sensor. That combined with the huge issue of not being able to adjust the shutter speed is going to result in TERRIBLE low/no light performance.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So I went back to the vivint video above to see if the image and logo was clear at any time.

No surprise to any of us, but it had a clean higher resolution image until motion at which point the bitrate jumps up and the wifi cannot keep up.

Another great example of why we say wifi and surveillance cameras are not a good match.

1679530513215.png

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
Bit off topic, but I see the owner of the cat being more the Karen. If a cat was using my property as a toilet and eating in my garden, I'd be pissed, too.
I think there is a conversation to be had there, but if someone came to my door with that kind of attitude then my desire to answer or even continue talking to them would be zero.

Not to mention, I am not going to tell some random person at my door that I am not home and that is the reason I can't come to the door.

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
I think there is a conversation to be had there, but if someone came to my door with that kind of attitude then my desire to answer or even continue talking to them would be zero.

Not to mention, I am not going to tell some random person at my door that I am not home and that is the reason I can't come to the door.
I agree. The manner in which the complainant approached the issue was terrible. Aggressive and unhinged.