Texas State Voting

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Can someone explain what the purpose of "early voting" actually is? We already know when Election Day is. Is it just too difficult to arrange time when you already know the day and voting times on Election Day? Is this how casual and disconnected with our Republic that we've become? Absentee voting is fine IF there is a valid reason, but the minor effort of getting to the polls on Election Day isn't much to ask to respect our system, at least to me. On top of that I remember elections where some candidate did something really stupid in the last week that would change votes, dramatically. Vote "early" and you may be very sorry you did.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Can someone explain what the purpose of "early voting" actually is? We already know when Election Day is. Is it just too difficult to arrange time when you already know the day and voting times on Election Day? Is this how casual and disconnected with our Republic that we've become? Absentee voting is fine IF there is a valid reason, but the minor effort of getting to the polls on Election Day isn't much to ask to respect our system, at least to me. On top of that I remember elections where some candidate did something really stupid in the last week that would change votes, dramatically. Vote "early" and you may be very sorry you did.
Understand. It is more of a convenience I would say. My Early voting has been a 15 minute endeavor, no problem parking, no lines.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So we possibly compromise our election system for convenience? Not a good tradeoff to me at all.
Good question, where is the compromise though? Maybe I am wrong but I have had many schedule changes in my life, as most people do, I can see one day voting deter voters if something else important comes up on that day. Sadly even things that aren't that important would stop people. I just see it as a chance for everyone to get their vote in. Mail-in voting abuse is where I see to be the major problem. But maybe I am missing something.

Reaction score
Yeah, we loved it. No hurry, no standing in line, easy parking, everyone was super friendly. I don't see the 'compromise' portion of it at all. In person, on paper and electronic, ID was checked and compared. No problem at all. I am very proud of my wife, this was her second election to vote in.

Now mail-in voting, that's a completely different story.

Reaction score
So we possibly compromise our election system for convenience? Not a good tradeoff to me at all.
Early voting by itself is no compromise, so long as it is handled correctly (proper voter ID, properly secured ballots, etc.). Most people have already decided how they are going to vote, and avoiding possible schedule conflicts and long lines on on election day can improve voter turnout.

We had early voting long before COVID, and it was never an issue. It was all the changes to the voting process during the pandemic (e.g. unverifiable mail-in ballots) that caused the controversy.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I still feel that the words "Election Day" have a unique and special meaning to our Republic. A schedule change is an excuse, not a reason for not being able to exercise such a basic obligation and valuable right. Just another way of tearing the system down, from the inside. Mail-in gets the same line of reasons, convenience, what if I can't get to the polls, kind of things. An hour or two, twice a year, out of the entire year is nothing.

To each their own, that is what we are about, but watch carefully how it degenerates over the coming years similar to what has happened to the educational system.

Reaction score
I still feel that the words "Election Day" have a unique and special meaning to our Republic. A schedule change is an excuse, not a reason for not being able to exercise such a basic obligation and valuable right. Just another way of tearing the system down, from the inside. Mail-in gets the same line of reasons, convenience, what if I can't get to the polls, kind of things. An hour or two, twice a year, out of the entire year is nothing.

To each their own, that is what we are about, but watch carefully how it degenerates over the coming years similar to what has happened to the educational system.
From the descriptions provided by people here, I feel comfortable with how early voting has been done there. I agree with you though--- VIGILANCE of purpose, process, and implementation must be never ending.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If there are corrupt people who want to add , delete, or change votes, early voting gives them a lot more opportunity to pull it off.
Now this does make sense, giving the Devil more time is not good. The other thing about early voting is if results are released before Election Day, it may cause a swarm of voters to rush and vote where as they may not of voted.

When I mentioned important issues coming up, that is unexpected, which would cause someone not to be able to make it to vote on Election Day, I am sure that it is a small percentage. But I had a surgery scheduled when I got a called my Mom slumped over and was taken to the hospital where a few days later she passed, this of course altered my surgery, things happen. So for me knowing my vote is in is conforming...watching my paper ballot go into a 4x4x4 locked armor looking box was also comforting. I asked the lady how long they keep the boxes/ballots, she said she believed 3 years.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

If Election Day was the only day we could vote, it would be top priority on my calendar, bar nothing unexpected would change it. In a large city/county, the Polls can get very busy. We have an active Polling map where we can check/click on a Polling location to see how many people are in line, estimated, this makes it nice before you head out to vote.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I was disenfranchised a few years ago with mail in voting, mandatory in oregon (there are drop boxes, too). We have one of the cluster mailboxes, and I dropped my ballot in the outgoing slot with days to spare. Then the lock the letter carrier uses to open the cluster box broke. The repair person got out there a day or two before the ballot deadline. With the box open I could see my ballot sitting in the outgoing compartment. I asked to have it back so I could drive it to a dropbox, and the reply was that everything in the outgoing compartment is USPS property, and he could not let me have it.

Aside from my own story, there are the many stories of the blank ballots not being delivered, and the mailed ballots from republican-leaning neighbors never making it through the system. Not that the votes decide who the winners are anyway.

Reaction score
If Election Day was the only day we could vote, it would be top priority on my calendar, bar nothing unexpected would change it. In a large city/county, the Polls can get very busy. We have an active Polling map where we can check/click on a Polling location to see how many people are in line, estimated, this makes it nice before you head out to vote.

Election day should be a National Holiday. That removes a lot of excuses.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
LOL - I watched the news last presidential election and the long lines in my county for early voting (stretching at times over 4 hours) and figured I would be screwed election day.

Election day I walked right in and had my machine of choice. Place was empty.