TeamViewer Hacked

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
VPN + Remote Desktop, I know its really convenient to use the cloud.. but its not secure, and never will be.

We've been down this path before, it was once called the MainFrame.. now its called the Cloud, we all got off the mainframe and went to personal computers so we could own our equipment and control our software and data.. but somewhere along the line we forgot all the reasons we left the mainframe as we all move back into it.

/cloud engineer

Last edited by a moderator:

copex

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Im probably just misunderstanding, but I don't see how whitelisting would have helped. Hackers spoofed as the same user as the real user.
As yet Teamviewer only admit to a DOS attack, and i have not seen any proof they where hacked :) time will tell. there was a fake java update would doing the rounds that would compromise Teamviewer users

whitelists will protect against certern attacks, my post was not refering to the hack that was posted just to point out teamviewer has been hackably for some time :) personally i would never leave teamviewer running on any of my computers :)

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
VPN + Remote Desktop, I know its really convenient to use the cloud.. but its not secure, and never will be.

We've been down this path before, it was once called the MainFrame.. now its called the Cloud, we all got off the mainframe and went to personal computers so we could own our equipment and control our software and data.. but somewhere along the line we forgot all the reasons we left the mainframe as we all move back into it.

/cloud engineer
+1

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I checked some of my always-on machines the day Nayr posted this. There was no sign of an intrusion, but there are a lot of PCs in my account that aren't mine and I haven't checked them yet. I'm too lazy for my own good.

I think I will be uninstalling TeamViewer and switching to a combination of NeoRouter and TightVNC for most of the PCs for the time being.

mycoma

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Teamviewer supports two factor authentication use it with the google authentication app on your phone and yes don't leave it running.

capnswab

n3wb
Reaction score

/cloud engineer
Any decent guides or recommendations for setting up a VPN for remote access?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
best method at this point is to determine if your existing internet router has a built in VPN server, if so search YouTube and you'll likely find a walk through on setting it up.

if your router does not have a VPN Server built in, might be best to consider upgrading to one that does.. its the best place for it, if your internet and router are accessible so is your LAN.

capnswab

n3wb
Reaction score
Cool, I'll take a look at the video. I did pre-order the Dojo, curious to see what that will do once it arrives.