T5442 - Having IR Issues

fnhanks

n3wb
Reaction score
I have had an IPC-HDW5442TM-AS installed inside for 2 months now without issues and love the camera. Went to check the camera last night and it was pitch black and the IR wasn't on. I can still make out the light on the microwave and slight glare from the windows, but the IR was not on. I power cycled the camera and it was still pitch black. I power cycled the switch that the camera was connected to with the same result. Logged into the camera's web interface and saw the same thing. Went to the IR setting and flipped it to manual under the current profile and at 100%. Nothing. IR didn't come on. Flipped it to off, then to auto, then for a second the IR turned on then off. I tried doing this again and after flipping to manual, then to off, then to auto it came on. From there I went to the live view screen and it shut off the IR. So I went through the sequence again and then as soon as I flipped to the live view, IR shut off. On the third time, I have everything still on auto, but didn't switch to the live view and it's still on as it should be, but I'm a bit concerned as 1) it seems like the web UI is pretty unresponsive in that changing the IR settings seems to have no effect and loading the live view seems to disable IR, and 2) I'm not sure why this is even happening in the first place and am wondering if my camera has issues.

Has anyone encountered this? Anything else I can troubleshoot? I haven't done a firmware update, and not sure if there's a central place to check where Andy posts them. EDIT: Found the thread here: IPC-T5442TM-AS , IPC-T5442T-ZE Latest new Firmware Volt V2.800.0000000.17.R.200620. Going to update the FW and see if that helps tonight.

Camera Info:
System VersionV2.800.0000000.10.R, Build Date: 2019-11-18
WEB VersionV3.2.1.817187
ONVIF Version18.12(V2.4.5.800245)
Algorithm Version1.0.0
Security Baseline VersionV2.0

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Reading this I have an idea, that admittedly isn’t yet well thought out... ;)

IR shuts off when you open live view but stays on otherwise right?

I’m guessing here, but opening live view on the camera puts an extra burden of processing and I suppose power load on the camera. Cameras are at their peak load when IR is on.

I’ve seen this on analog cameras when there isn’t quite enough voltage at the camera. Usually a wire or power supply problem in that case.

First thing I’d do to test the theory is take it down, connect the camera with a short 6’ known good cable and see if it does it.

Last edited:

fnhanks

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks bigredfish. I've updated the FW and going to see if it continues to exhibit the behavior; if it does I'll try a different port on the switch or pull it down and use a POE injector and see if it still does it.

One clarification to your statement above, the main problem here is under normal operation, at night the IR doesn’t come on and it stays black, essentially rendering the camera useless. This post is about that issue, I was just raising the issue around the web view causing the IR to turn on and off, alluding to some sort of firmware bug or issue.

EDIT: Even with the new firmware it’s still not turning on the IR. I moved it to a different port on the switch and still the same issue. Time to pull it down tomorrow and see if I does it with another switch or POE injector. The camera is just a hair over 2 months old. Does this kind of thing happen or does this seem odd/rare?

Last edited:

chaosengine

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This is odd, I've two HDW5442TM-AS, both are changed between full-time day/night mode by DahuaSunriseSunset tool. Everything is working flawless.
Firmware:
V2.800.0000000.16.R, Build Date: 2020-05-29
V2.800.0000000.17.R, Build Date: 2020-06-20
Day & Night, Mode: B/W (in Profile Night)
Illuminator, Mode: Auto

Reaction score
bad IR filter? one of my 5231's shoots IR (verified by another camera in the vicinity) but the picture stays black at night as if no IR. Many have commented that it could be a stuck or faulty IR cut filter. Andy says to bring it down and factory reset it. I'll do that and give a couple gentle taps with a rubber mallet for good measure. It's attached to my 2nd story roof eave so one day I'll get up there :)