Suggestions for new NVR Hikvision

Billkater

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am wanting to migrate to a Hikvision NVR. I have a mix of 12 OEM and gray market Hikvision cameras. I am needing a NVR that will work with all of them. I have them all powered thru a POE switch, so the NVR doesn't need to have POE ports.

I want it to be able to do 24/7 recording and also mark alarms or events. I would like to keep at least 7 days of video. So it would require comparability with 1 or 2 large drives.

What would you all suggest?

Thanks

Bill

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
More than likely you will need to talk to a US base HIKVISION dealer / vendor. The Hikvision NVR has security built into it to prevent mixing Hikvision international and China cameras. Do research on this topic.

MNapple

n3wb
Reaction score
FNG here.

I've had a hikvision NVR with a dozen OEM cameras for four years. Twice now, I've tried other camera and could not get them to work. They really lock you into their product line.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
That is interesting. I have had a mix of Hikvision and Dahua cameras on my Hikvision NVR's without a problem. Also one other brand camera that the name escapes me for the moment.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I also have a mix of Hikvision, Dahua, miscellaneous Chinese IP cameras (ONVIF compatible) on Hikvision NVRs with no problems.

Will.I.Am

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Using onvif cameras is rarely as straight forward as using the manufacturers own brand, especially on the budget equipment like hikvision and dahua.

While they make their own devices plug and play, you have a bit more setup to do to get cameras from another manufacturer working

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Using onvif cameras is rarely as straight forward as using the manufacturers own brand, especially on the budget equipment like hikvision and dahua.

While they make their own devices plug and play, you have a bit more setup to do to get cameras from another manufacturer working
I'm not sure I agree.
Selecting ONVIF from the protocol drop-down, selecting the 'ONVIF port' and adding the user/password is pretty straightforward.
OK, it's not Plug&Play but in reality no different from any other manual config.

Guan

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm not sure I agree.
Selecting ONVIF from the protocol drop-down, selecting the 'ONVIF port' and adding the user/password is pretty straightforward.
OK, it's not Plug&Play but in reality no different from any other manual config.
Hi, have you managed to get Chinese IP cameras (ONVIF compatible) with PoE support to power from the PoE ports of Hikvision NVR's?

Will.I.Am

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm not sure I agree.
It's not as simple as plug and play, that's all I said.