Stream greater than 1080p w/ RPISURV?

teh brosta

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm using a Raspberry PI and the popular RPISURV project to display an IP camera stream. I've done this in the past with an Axis camera and had no problems displaying the main stream. I'm currently trying to do this with a Hikvision camera and I'm having problems. It works fine with the sub stream but not the main stream. Using VLC I have no issues viewing the video either.

rtsp://user:pass@192.168.10.205:554/Streaming/Channels/1

I also tried using 'nayr's omxplayer build with the RTSP TCP stream option enabled, with no luck

As I am writing this out I tried to change the resolution of the main stream to 1920*1080 and sure enough the stream is mint!

The problem I have is when I set the resolution to 3MP, the video goes straight to crap.

I've attached an image of whats happening to the video... any ideas? I'd hate to have to reduce the resolution that I record the camera at.

Thanks!

Attachments

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
What does the Pi CPU utilisation show for these various settings?
And what model of Pi is it? There is a big difference in CPU capability across the models.

teh brosta

n3wb
Reaction score
What does the Pi CPU utilisation show for these various settings?
And what model of Pi is it? There is a big difference in CPU capability across the models.
It's a Raspberry PI 3.

Using the top command, I am seeing about 11-17% CPU omxplayer.bin trying to stream the 3MP, and about 5-8% on the 1080p

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
can your display handle the resolution? mebe play with scaling options in omxplayer..

can you get a 720p or anything decent from substreams?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I've also been trying -- and failing utterly -- to stream anything larger than 1920x1080 with omxplayer. 3MP, 4MP, 8MP, all bad. I will have to use substreams :(. With their main streams I get the same type of corruption as the OP.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
For what its worth, recent cheap dahua cameras let you have two substreams, and the second substream is capable of 720p while the first maxes out at 480p. So I got lucky there.