Starlink satellite internet

ClarityAVS

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I registered and put down the deposit for my parents that live in BFE Ohio. It claims by mid to late 2021 it'll be available in their area. $99 down, $499 for hardware, and $100 a month after that.

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
For me, it went right through to the beta program. I suppose my zip code was desirable for them, or maybe because I signed up to be a beta tester a while back. My credit card was charged the full equipment price and it appears it is being shipped. I will keep yall updated.

Screenshot_20210215-120341_Chrome.jpg

Due to increased order volume, orders may take 4-6 weeks to ship.
Thank you for participating in Starlink’s Beta program!

During beta, users can expect to see data speeds vary from 50Mb/s to 150Mb/s and latency from 20ms to 40ms in most locations over the next several months as we enhance the Starlink system. There will also be brief periods of no connectivity at all.

As we launch more satellites, install more ground stations and improve our networking software, data speed, latency and uptime will
improve dramatically. For latency, we expect to achieve 16ms to 19ms by summer 2021.

Your Starlink Kit will arrive with your Starlink, wifi router, power supply, cables and mounting tripod.

Download the Starlink app for iOS or for Android to ensure no obstructions (trees, poles, etc.) will interrupt service at your desired install location.
In some cases, a roof install may be required. For roof mounts, visit the Starlink Shop. For more information or to cancel your order, sign in to your account to contact Customer Support.

Last edited:

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Very cool! Are you planning on putting the dish on the roof?
No, fortunately I have corn and hayfields around the house so I have an almost unobstructed 360 view. I'm planning to mount it to the siding below a window like the Dish Network guy did, so I can brush off snow without using a ladder.

Reaction score
It is not the size of the dish. Right now you can only use it from your registered address. Internet RVers are hoping that will change in the future. A few years ago that is what Starlink had stated. But I doubt it will ever be able to work while actually moving down the road.
Right, I read about the current RV limitation, same problem would impact traveling salespeople, business travelers (have you ever used hotel internet?), or especially (someday during retirement) on a parked RV was more like I was thinking long-term.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
All I can say is if they are able to offer this service at $20.XX a month with unlimited use. I'll accept this as a extra Internet backup source for sure! I applied for the Beta program once announced but was told I was too close in town. :facepalm:

My goal was extreme arctic cold testing of the hardware . . .

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
I really, really want this as backup internet. The problem is that I pay $70 for AT&T Fiber 1G/1G which has never had an outage, so its a little crazy spending more than my main internet on a slower backup
Agreed, this most definitely helps those in the bush or customers not in a ISP service area. Ultimately, more competition in the market place is good for everyone. Seeing what others charge and the lack luster performance from Hughes / Other is just shameful.

I don't agree with all the things Elon Musk does but this man has single handily via his companies. Has forced all of the market leaders to wake up and do better whether it be solar, batteries, electric vehicles, to reusable rockets!

The fact its taken a private company to drive four major industries to do better is truly shameful . . .

Reaction score
I really, really want this as backup internet. The problem is that I pay $70 for AT&T Fiber 1G/1G which has never had an outage, so its a little crazy spending more than my main internet on a slower backup
Yeah that's kind of where I am at. At one location I pay $49 for 20/6 fiber, while this could be a faster alternative or a backup tripling the monthly cost for that sole purpose is meh.
At the Colorado house we get 1G/1G fiber for $50/mo so paying +$100/mo for "backup" seems pretty silly.

Now, if this had been a thing anytime during the previous 20 years I had Comcast, no brainer. Or a cabin/RV (in the future) with no option but cellular, also a no brainer. If, SpaceX ever offers a pay-as-you-use-it plan (or $20/mo + per GB/pricing) then it might work for those instances.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I live at damn near the center of my small town and the only internet service here (besides satellite) is the telephone monopoly. My block only has DSL, and it takes two bonded phone lines to get the 75 Mbps down and 20 Mbps up that I pay $109 per month for. I've been asking them to expand fiber into my area for 10+ years but I must be the only one because every time they announce fiber expansion plans it is somewhere else. It probably doesn't matter if I had fiber anyway. I doubt they'd offer faster speeds or a better deal on the current plans. It would probably shave off the 13 ms of latency added by the DSL modem, but that is of minimal importance.

Years ago they stopped even advertising their internet speeds or pricing. I hope that Starlink is a real wakeup call for these clowns. Most of their customers have much farther line lengths on their DSL and can't even get the speeds I do.

So my plan is to get Starlink and once it proves itself, drop the DSL plan down to the minimum and let IT be the backup.

My DSL is actually really stable, low jitter and packet loss, and the attainable speed is extremely predictable. I just don't like the company's business practices.

Last edited:

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
two bonded phone lines
I was begging for AT&T to bond my pair, but they said they don't do it any more. Something about the reliability. I have several pairs that go all the way back to their service box, too, but nope.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I was begging for AT&T to bond my pair, but they said they don't do it any more. Something about the reliability. I have several pairs that go all the way back to their service box, too, but nope.
They just don't have the right equipment I bet. My bonded pair has been solid as a rock for the last 4 or something years since they found and fixed the line that was intermittently shorting.