Starlink satellite internet

IReallyLikePizza2

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Would be way cheaper and less of a hassle to use cellular backup.
Problem is, its probably not going to be a backup. I'm fairly certain a lot of the carriers around here use AT&T as the backbone, which means when my internet goes out, there is a chance the cellular goes out

Plus, if there is a city wide power outage, as long as I have a generator, starlink will be up

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Well early on anyway, I don't think the satellites can route packets between each other. Only to a ground station. So there's a chance a widespread outage could affect that too.

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Well early on anyway, I don't think the satellites can route packets between each other. Only to a ground station. So there's a chance a widespread outage could affect that too.
Hopefully they have some gas powered generators charging up some Tesla batteries to keep the ground stations powered then... :p

IReallyLikePizza2

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
They surely will be at a datacenter, which won't lose power since they all have diesel generators

Reaction score
I just talked with my daughter. The company she and my SIL work for has an office somewhere in TX. He's an "upper management" type and was up all night trying to get fuel delivered to that office to keep the backup generator running, and couldn't. No vehicles allowed on the roads or no one wants to take the risk. The office is now without power and they're an IT operation. I think they may "re-think" how much fuel they keep on hand now.

IReallyLikePizza2

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I went to swap some hardware at our Colo at CyrusOne just before Harvey, and they had 18 tanker trucks lined up in the parking lot filled with Diesel, together with their giant belly tanks

Power didn't even go out, but that's planning!