Spiderwebs throwing lots of alerts

bob.m

n3wb
Reaction score
I don't know if others have this issue but it seems that every so often I'll get a spiderweb across one of my cameras and will wake up to 50+ email alerts due to the constant triggering. I then (the following day) go out and clean them off but I'm wondering if there is a setting in BI that can say -- I did too many alerts and am going to take some time off.

Of course the flip side of that is that I don't want the alerts to stop if multiple real events are happening. I've looked at the settings under Alerts but they all would seem to conflict with getting real alerts. Note that the time between alerts from the spiderweb is anywhere from 1 minute to every 5 minutes.

Thanks for any suggestions.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
^+1

Or force it in color.

I have sprayed some bug spray around the cameras that can help for a bit.

You could try the object detection to cancel any triggers above a certain % and may or may not work depending on your field of view.

You can add alert timeouts, but as you mentioned, it can cause you to miss a real trigger.

Or try the Deepstack Integration that has knocked it out for many if you do not have a camera with AI built in.

Last edited:

MJAATC

n3wb
Reaction score
Deepstack AI integration has completely stopped my spider and flying bug triggers! Had good luck with is so far

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
I was also going to suggest using some sort of AI triggers. Some cameras (like the Dahua 5442 series) have very good AI built right into the camera software. Otherwise you can use Deepstack AI with BI to cut down on the false triggers.

bob.m

n3wb
Reaction score
Thx all, guess I need to bite that bullet next. AI here I come.

holiday

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thx all, guess I need to bite that bullet next. AI here I come.
no need to buy the new bullet, just get the latest version of BI, it has AI features built in.

See this thread for example:

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I was also going to suggest using some sort of AI triggers. Some cameras (like the Dahua 5442 series) have very good AI built right into the camera software. Otherwise you can use Deepstack AI with BI to cut down on the false triggers.
Can BI make use of AI built into a camera as it's trigger to record and notify? Or is it only of use I'd Paired with an NVR if the same mfg?

holiday

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Can BI make use of AI built into a camera as it's trigger to record and notify? Or is it only of use I'd Paired with an NVR if the same mfg?
I've havent tried it b4 but there is a check box "Camera's digital or motion alarm" under trigger for your camera settings. I think that will work.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, you can make BI trigger and record when the camera's AI detects something. You just set BI to trigger on the ONVIF trigger that the camera sends out when the AI gets triggered (under the "Record" tab of the BI camera setup menu). It works very well and uses the processing power of the camera instead of the processing power of the BI computer to do all this.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, you can make BI trigger and record when the camera's AI detects something. You just set BI to trigger on the ONVIF trigger that the camera sends out when the AI gets triggered (under the "Record" tab of the BI camera setup menu). It works very well and uses the processing power of the camera instead of the processing power of the BI computer to do all this.
Plus you have to check the motion settings to pull the digital output under the motion tab.

But yes it works very well.

CrazyAsYou

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
As other have said Deepstack AI has completely stopped spiders, webs and bugs setting off my alerts but before that I had good success by spraying the camera body and surrounding wall area with silicon spray lubricant (don’t get it on the lens) – none of the bug sprays worked for me.

I used this brand, but they should all be the same

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As other have said Deepstack AI has completely stopped spiders, webs and bugs setting off my alerts but before that I had good success by spraying the camera body and surrounding wall area with silicon spray lubricant (don’t get it on the lens) – none of the bug sprays worked for me.

I used this brand, but they should all be the same

How long would it stay effective?