Someone hits my mailbox, again

grumpywilson

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

She said she mis judged how wide the road and car was while another car was coming the other way. The mirror was ripped off the car and the rear door and quarter panel has damage too from what I could tell. I assumed the dents and scrapes on the rear door and quarter panel are from the mailbox because of the white paint deposited on the black paint of the car.

The mailbox was bent enough the door wouldn't open very far and was almost ripped off the post. The repair took about 15 minutes and is now good as new, well almost. The paint is chipped and the bottom corner is a little mangled from the numerous repairs. Good from far but far from good!

Attachments

grumpywilson

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
At least she had the courteously to stop and notify you. Everyone makes mistakes, but it's how a person reacts to them (especially when they don't think anyone is watching) that shows their true character.
Yeah, I woulda stopped and turnt myself in. Offered to replace the box etc....
She offered to pay for it to be fixed. I went out to look at it with her and told her not to worry about it. If she kept going and then came back later, it might have been a different story.

This is my third mailbox. The first regular cheap $20 paper thin mailbox got so beat up by people hitting it that it wouldn't close. The second one was taken out along with the post by my neighbors trash can. Being a little stubborn, I made a 3x3 steel post for my new 10 gauge mailbox and put it two feet in the ground in concrete just to the right of the old location not knowing until I started digging that a little farther to the right over was ANOTHER previous mailbox post location, and both of them were installed with concrete. So now there is one gigantic chunk of concrete securing my mailbox post.
Yes, the mail box just behind the big tree. Need a longer lens to watch.
I have been thinking about getting a camera just for this purpose.

grumpywilson

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Maybe an A.I. mailbox that can rock back 2 feet when its LIDAR detects an imminent collision.
I could see that being troublesome when the mailman comes up to it and it swings away. But I like the idea!
I suppose the postal service won't let you put it further from the road?
I could move it back but I like how it slows people down coming by my house if another car is coming the other way. It's a narrow spot in the road right there. I live on the only section that's not widened and has no curbs. I also don't want to deal with all the dirt and mud in the road from people moving over further if the mailbox was moved back more.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
It's time to fill it with concrete, and put a second mail box up for your mail.
Or make one out of 1/4" steel so it can't get smashed.

grumpywilson

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It's time to fill it with concrete, and put a second mail box up for your mail.
Or make one out of 1/4" steel so it can't get smashed.
I wanted to go 1/4" but couldn't find a typical looking mailbox like what I have now. This one was only $100 and I figured with it being 10gauge in thickness, it would do quite well, and it has. Still going back and forth with filling the mailbox post with concrete though. And maybe I should replace the pine wood that attaches the box to the post with a hard wood. This last hit almost killed the wood mount.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
I could see that being troublesome when the mailman comes up to it and it swings away. But I like the idea!

I could move it back but I like how it slows people down coming by my house if another car is coming the other way. It's a narrow spot in the road right there. I live on the only section that's not widened and has no curbs. I also don't want to deal with all the dirt and mud in the road from people moving over further if the mailbox was moved back more.
Replace the mailbox on the existing post with a house numbers, you could even paint it white as here:

Then put your new mailbox behind the tree. Both aims achieved and if it the post gets wiped out, it's only a post and some stick on numbers, so cheaper and easier to replace.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
Ever seen the mailboxes built for surviving snow plow wakes? I’ve seen them in Rural Wisconsin.
RTC SwingAway Mailbox Support, 48-inch arm, Galva...
I just put one of these up last week. I ended up buying it from their website directly since Amazon only seemed to have the older style in galvanized and I wanted something a bit nicer. I got the black version which I believe is powder coated. Works great. Hopefully it’s the last mailbox/post I need to replace. Plows have taken out mine multiple times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

vandyman

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That mail box looks like it is from 1930.
Did the pony express deliver mail in that box.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk