Sneaky Coyote

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
although I'd use a 22 or crossbow in the city to avoid collateral damage..
Yeah but you would get some twit that would use a .338 and kill someone 3 suburbs away. Morons ruin it for everyone.

wonder how CPW does it.
Traps I would suspect. Locally we bait foxes (introduced pest) in urban areas with 1080 and the wiki helpfully says they use it in the US for Coyotes but if you have native fox populations that could have undesirable side effects.

Atxworm

n3wb
Reaction score
Wow! Kind of crazy how close it got without you even noticing.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yeah they protect the foxes when they are here, was a den under someone's massive blue spruce w/pups so CPW put up a sign on the sidewalk saying give this area a wide birth.. had flyers with living along w/foxes on it.

but canines usually too territorial to tolerate other canines hunting the same area, coyotes chase out foxes and the wolves chase out the coyotes.

I had a wolf circle my camp this summer up in the mountains, that was crazy.

Last edited by a moderator:

brian.rtl

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
We have foxes and house cats that do a fine job of controlling the rabbit population; however when the Yote's move in they chase away all the foxes, then the rabbit population just crashes from them overhunting; then housecats and small dogs start disappearing... Ive lost 2 cats to Yote's, woke up one morning to find 3 in my back yard eating my childhood pet.

Yeah a paintball gun would not be legal, its actually kinda fucked.. Found a Colorado website that listed Hazing strategies, on it they listed a slingshot.. but even those are not legal in the city; cant shoot any kinda projectiles with anything.

If i was not within city limits it would be within my rights to shoot the damn things, but I get it.. I dont want my neighbors out shooting rifles in the neighborhood either.. although I'd use a 22 or crossbow in the city to avoid collateral damage.. wonder how CPW does it.
Slingshots should not be used in the city, agreed, as it is too dangerous for bystanders. On the other hand, if you used large ice cubes with the slingshot they wouldn't leave any tell-tale signs. :)

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
LOL, great capture!

Seeing yours, I have a lot of work to do on my nighttime images.

I was thinking same as far as a red led/strobe to get visitors to look at the camera, haven't decided/figured out how to do it yet. With the new DVR and tripwire function coming, I'm guessing I can rig it to activate with that but not sure just how yet.