Sneaky Coyote

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This happened tonight while I was testing the new strobe light activated appropriately.

Yesh, I never have to wait long for a real-world test eh?

Last edited by a moderator:

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Were the boots satisfactory or are you considering upgrading to Nikes for coyote chasing in the next video?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
boots made more noise stomping behind him.. I came home in better shape then the last time I ran down the street in the dark barefooted :p

Wearing PJ Pants and having shit in my pockets slowed me down the most, keeping my pants up isnt easy when you have no ass.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That was pretty cool. He was aware of you a bit before you of him...looked like he was considering coming after you for a sec there.
I did not see a strobe light going off in the video.
What is your use case for a strobe when there is motion detected? To scare off coyotes?
With strobe, wouldn't that mess up the clarity of recording exposure maybe?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
the strobe makes no visual impact on the image, thats why you cant see it.

I have a line cross on the sidewalk of the first camera.. when something human sized walks down the sidewalk between midnight (hence the time of the video) and 5am then the strobe will go off in an attempt to get them to look into the camera for a better facial ID.

He was fully aware of me, about 20mins before I tried to haze him off and chased him several blocks away in my car.. then he came back to get his revenge :p

Attachments

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Oh, a little red strobe...I was picturing a big white hi-po flashing light.
Interesting idea to get someone to smile for the camera.

The neighbors not starting to think you are some sort of secret military facility yet though? :nuts:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
hah, the dome is clear and I'll be spraying that black base white here soon.. its not easy to spot from the street when its unlit.

everyone's playing pokemon or instagram or whatever the fuck anymore.. the only people who look around are the old retiree's and if you just color match it they cant see it ;)

I know how to install a camera and make it blend in, I post video on nextdoor for my neighbors to see and they still ask me where my cameras are.. being under constant surveillance has trained our brain to not recognize a cameras presence.. its just air to most people.. Though I do admit having a 2-tone black and white house makes using 2-tone black and white dahua's much easier.

dont take much effort to make em blend in, I have a neighbor up the street who has em hidden in fake plants and all sorts of stuff.. cool, but much more effort than is required and he is limiting his mounting options greatly.. then he leaves em in color all night to keep em hidden and.. well his images are not that useful.

The main function of the strobe is to try to get em to look at camera, the second function is to let them know they have been detected and its in there best interests to leave the area so I dont have to make my presence known and the 3rd function is to notify me, incase communications break down, ie I've came home to my alarm system being triggered.. it'll also be used to notify first responders in the event of an emergency.. because GPS takes you to the house next to mine with a street number thats identical to mine at first glance, huge pita.

Last edited by a moderator:

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I was thinking a flashing strobe as well, not quite as i envisioned when first read about it. But I like its simplicity. And like you pointed out it's to get them to look at the camera which is second nature once it goes off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with being skinny. PITA having your pants fall off though. Dude's got balls but by the time they're what is holding up your pants it's too late.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
so I called Colorado Parks and Wildlife, last summer I got ambushed by a pack of 3 Coyotes after I had been harassing them for a few months.. they literally tried to eat me. I filed a report and they came out and managed to destroy one of the males in the pack and they stopped being such a problem

I emailed this video to my contact and he told me he thinks this will meet there requirements of aggressive behavior and showing no fear of humans.. going to talk to his supervisor and get back to me but since its got a bobtail and will be easy to identify they are likely going to spend a few nights hanging out and trying to hunt it.

Gotta hand it to CPW, they take care of shit so we dont have to.. I'd love to shoot this SOB but I'd rather not deal with law explaining why I discharged a firearm within city limits.. How come when some prowlers keep trying to break into my car the LEO wont stake out the neighborhood for a few nights with rifles and try to nail those bastards too hehe. Perhaps next time I'll call CPW instead of DPD ;)

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The coyotes do help control the rabbit population, but I'd much rather have foxes and the coyotes scare them off. A paintball gun would be a more entertaining way to haze them, but would probably be a crime.

I'm certainly surprised so little came of shots fired in your area, especially considering they have alpr cams on a 1 mile grid I guess it was probably stolen plates or a stolen vehicle.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Varmints come in many forms. Too bad you didn't have a larger acreage there and some kind of crop planted. Farmers can be licensed to carry and shoot all kinds of varmints that might damage their crop.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
We have foxes and house cats that do a fine job of controlling the rabbit population; however when the Yote's move in they chase away all the foxes, then the rabbit population just crashes from them overhunting; then housecats and small dogs start disappearing... Ive lost 2 cats to Yote's, woke up one morning to find 3 in my back yard eating my childhood pet.

Yeah a paintball gun would not be legal, its actually kinda fucked.. Found a Colorado website that listed Hazing strategies, on it they listed a slingshot.. but even those are not legal in the city; cant shoot any kinda projectiles with anything.

If i was not within city limits it would be within my rights to shoot the damn things, but I get it.. I dont want my neighbors out shooting rifles in the neighborhood either.. although I'd use a 22 or crossbow in the city to avoid collateral damage.. wonder how CPW does it.