SMD Alarms not appearing in Log anymore

Reaction score
I've got a bit of a odd problem with a Dahua DH-XVR5108H-4KL-I Recorder. We've got a reasonably big Setup with 6 HDCVI and 7 IPC-HFW3849T1-ZAS IP Cameras hooked up to the Recorder which were all installed by a Security company at my mothers place. The idea is that the IP cameras in the most sensitive part around her farming house have SMD Alarms set up that are collected in the events section of the Recorders UI. It was all working great until a few weeks back when the guy from the security company thought he had to unplug the entire Recorder and then reinstalled it. He swears that's all he's done, but ever since the SMD Alarms from the IP Cameras don't appear in the Log anymore. Everything else is still fine though and the Live view in SmartPSS also previews my IVS drawings which light up when somebody walks through them I've spent the better part of two days trying to find out what's wrong but didn't find anything yet. Since it's a reasonably big setup and we never backed the Recorder up I'm close to having to wipe it and see if that helps but since it's a quite large setup I'd rather not have to pay the company to do that. The guy from there knows how to install and setup the cameras but has never tried to get into IVS/SMD so I'm kinda on my own here :/

Anyone got any more ideas? Here's what I have tried so far:
  • rebooted the recorder and the ip cameras both once in succession and also simultaneously
  • activated alarms for mere motion detection which work and appear in the log
  • checked every camera if the settings are still the same for the IVS rules which they are (10 second alarm with each entry or leaving of the defined zones)
  • went into the storage portion of the recorder in which IVS was not available as an option but in SmartPSS it was so i activated that for 24/7 as well as general and alarm
  • in SmartPSS I went to Alarmconfig of the recorder itself and tried activating various IVS Intrusion and Tripwire boxes but with no success

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Like many people here on the forum my mother is being harassed by a stalker and since she lives in a single house relatively far away from other houses it would be very valuable to know if and when that stalker is creeping around her place in order to have enough evidence for a restraining order. Since the amount of cameras is quite large it's pretty much impossible to check the nights recordings from the cameras without this feature :/

Feel free to ask if I can be more specific on the config or send Screenshots.

Last edited:

paul@austins.tv

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Once you add IP cameras to the XVR you loose the AI features like SMD or IVS. Unfortunately your stuck with just basic motion detection on the CVI and IP cameras. It's a limitation of the XVR capabilities.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! You're totally right that when you add IP cameras you lose the SMD function for all HDCVI Cameras, but it definitely still worked like a charm with the IP Cameras and those are in the most crucial areas. The UI of the recorder in the section alarm log on showed "intrusion" with the corresponding camera and time, as well as a play button when somebody triggered the smd. So all you had to do was click the play button and it was very reliable. So there's a huge upside compared to basic motion detection where wind and leaves already trigger that a lot (there's plenty of vegetation around the farm house)

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Some questions:

1 Are the IP cameras all connected to an external switch?

2) On these two bullets you posted: SmartPSS can't activate or configure anything that the XVR doesnt already have. Its merely an interface. If the XVR doesnt have the functionailty then SmartPSS cant make it so. Dont use SmartPSS to configure ANY settings. Its great for a live viewer, playback and exporting clips. Full Stop.
  • went into the storage portion of the recorder in which IVS was not available as an option but in SmartPSS it was so i activated that for 24/7 as well as general and alarm
  • in SmartPSS I went to Alarmconfig and tried activating various IVS Intrusion and Tripwire boxes but with no success
3- You reference SMD and IVS, which are you using? They're not the same thing. I think you're using IVS which is MUCH better than SMD
4- You say on the XVR that IVS was not an option for recording?

Show us a screen cap of your XVR camera registration page showing the IP cameras connected with green indicators...

Last edited: