Single camera continuous recording issues w/ IVMS-4200, Storage Server, Alternatives?

Reaction score
Howdy all,

I recently put up a Hikvision DS-2CD23787G2-L(U) and have been trying to configure it to continuously record. To do this, I have set up a Hikvision PCNVR Storage Server on an old PC and formatted a 2TB Skyhawk HDD in which the recordings are stored; IVMS-4200 is used for remote playback. It only works some of the time however: The main issue is that there are significant gaps in the recording. For example, it was recording fine through the night, but stopped at 06:49:12 for some reason. Since then (it's about 15:30 now), playback fails, only returning clips of a couple of seconds at most, but skipping huge (hours long) time periods. The storage server is continuously storing video files throughout this time, however, the videos themselves are garbled (see photos attached).

I'm inclined to think that this isn't a camera issue, because I have separately set up event recording on the camera, which it records to an onboard microSD, without any issue in image quality whatsoever. Similarly, I don't think it is a network/power issue, because live view via IVMS-4200 or directly from the camera plays without issue as well. The problem appears to be continuously recording to the hard-drive; my guess is the PCNVR Storage Server or a decoding issue thereof. I just want to record continuously dammit!

Some things I have tried:
  • NST synchronization on both camera and server (thought it worked for a while, but still having issues).
  • Updated firmware on camera.
  • Yelling at the computer.

Video output is 4k, H264 (non-plus) encoding, variable bit rate.

Any further ideas to fix this would be greatly appreciated. Alternatively, given my simple set-up (single camera to a modem to an old pc), surely there has to be some other way (i.e. other programs - ideally free) that can do the job. I don't care about the event recordings because I can just access the camera directly to play these; continuous recording in 4k would be enough!

Thank you for any help in advance

Attachments

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
single camera to a modem to an old pc
A couple of suggestions that should eliminate some possible causes :

Do you have a switch that you could hook the camera and PC together with to eliminate the modem as the source of the problem?
Alternatively, as a temporary measure, set a static IP address on both the camera and PC and connect them directly together and see if that changes anything.
Do this using either of the 2 ethernet cables, to eliminate a cable as the source of the problem.