Shutter Speed

AusGuy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi, I've just installed a ds-7608ni-i2/8p and 4 x ds-2cd2385fwd-i cameras. All working good, just wondering if there is a way of setting the camera's shutter speed? I can't find it in any settings.

Thanks for any help.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
All working good, just wondering if there is a way of setting the camera's shutter speed?
If already enabled, use the Virtual Host facility - the links in the NVR web GUI under System | Camera Management right hand column - and in the camera web GUI under Image | Display settings find the dropdown for Exposure time.

AusGuy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If already enabled, use the Virtual Host facility - the links in the NVR web GUI under System | Camera Management right hand column - and in the camera web GUI under Image | Display settings find the dropdown for Exposure time.
Thanks, I've had a look there and can't seem to find anything.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks, I've had a look there and can't seem to find anything.
A look where? NVR Virtual Host or the camera web GUI?

If no Virtual Host, check under NVR web GUI Network | Advanced Settings | Other tab for the tickbox - if the NVR firmware is new enough.

AusGuy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
A look where? NVR Virtual Host or the camera web GUI?

If no Virtual Host, check under NVR web GUI Network | Advanced Settings | Other tab for the tickbox - if the NVR firmware is new enough.
Thanks, I've got it all worked out now.

What's a good exposure setting for day time, for people and car's going past? Mine were at 1/25.

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
What's a good exposure setting for day time, for people and car's going past? Mine were at 1/25.
that is usually the default setting 1/25th
have a look on you tube about ip camera shutter speed
there are some well documented stuff about frame rates, shutter speed, i frame rates.
also it depends on where you live if overcast most of the day
a higher shutter speed will need more light to be effective and at night a lower setting just remember if you set an awesome day mode make sure you have schedule switch on as you do not want those settings at night.and set up a night time mode with a slower speed and a few other tweaks.
my best advice would be to watch those videos on you tube and experiment with the camera settings in day time mode
as you will learn, push them to far and you will get ghosting and all sorts of weird images its a matter of finding the best balance with what you have
and once you learn that a few settings come together you will be able to set up all sorts of cameras
just remember one good settings doesn't always work the same on another camera in a different location but i can be dialed in once you understand all of the settings

AusGuy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you, I'm playing around over the next few days to see how it goes, so much to learn but getting there!

AusGuy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So I've been playing around with settings, got things about as good as i can i think. I've noticed the picture from the 2.8mm camera appears softer compared to the 4mm ones, that would be pretty standard?