Service hardware requirements for 8-10 4K (8mp) cameras

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
is this overkill? with some july 4th coupons it comes out to about $315 out the door.

You don't want a mini PC and no t processor. Stick with SFF.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
is this overkill? with some july 4th coupons it comes out to about $315 out the door.

The price is overkill and the processor is weak. Then there is no room for real storage. You want at LEAST a SFF what will hold 1 3.5 disk.
You can buy a i5-8500 dell optiplex for 150 or less all day long on ebay. However, if you plan on using codeproject AI without a video card or tpu (this is in the works) AND you want ai on all or most of your cams you will want a more powerful system. 10th or even 12th gen i5.

atom631

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks. Since Ive optimized my BI server, My cpu stays mostly around 10-14% usage and even with activity across 2-3 cams, it only goes up to 50-60%. On a windy day when all cameras are triggering at once, the CPU hits 100%. So for now, Im going to focus on swapping out my old Hikvision cams for the Lorytas. Once I see how the server does, I can then decide if I should upgrade.

Ive also figured out how to better integrate them into my Ring alarm system. It seems the motion detection needs to be enabled within the camera's GUI. Once I did that, Ring has been a lot more responsive and useful, at least from an alerting standpoint (which is all i really need it to do).

However - there is definitely an issue with BI detecting and triggering. For instance, my Ring will alert me even when a car is driving down the road which is 70-80' from the camera. Blue Iris is not picking up that motion. It seems that in order for BI to detect anything, its gotta be within around 40' of the camera. Any idea how I fix this? Should I be letting the camera's built-in motion detection send the signal to BI? And then I would just disable BI software detection?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks. Since Ive optimized my BI server, My cpu stays mostly around 10-14% usage and even with activity across 2-3 cams, it only goes up to 50-60%. On a windy day when all cameras are triggering at once, the CPU hits 100%. So for now, Im going to focus on swapping out my old Hikvision cams for the Lorytas. Once I see how the server does, I can then decide if I should upgrade.

Ive also figured out how to better integrate them into my Ring alarm system. It seems the motion detection needs to be enabled within the camera's GUI. Once I did that, Ring has been a lot more responsive and useful, at least from an alerting standpoint (which is all i really need it to do).

However - there is definitely an issue with BI detecting and triggering. For instance, my Ring will alert me even when a car is driving down the road which is 70-80' from the camera. Blue Iris is not picking up that motion. It seems that in order for BI to detect anything, its gotta be within around 40' of the camera. Any idea how I fix this? Should I be letting the camera's built-in motion detection send the signal to BI? And then I would just disable BI software detection?
There's a difference between a bunch of more resolution cameras without AI and 10 4K cameras all running AI.

The reason Blue Iris is not triggering is because you have incorrectly set up Blue Iris motion detection.

atom631

n3wb
Reaction score
There's a difference between a bunch of more resolution cameras without AI and 10 4K cameras all running AI.

The reason Blue Iris is not triggering is because you have incorrectly set up Blue Iris motion detection.
understood aout the camera. For now, Im buying the 4Mp 5442 cameras. Im not sure Ill be upgrading to 4K anytime soon based on my new found knowledge and cost of those cameras with proper sensor.

Is there a guide for how to properly setup motion detection in BI?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
understood aout the camera. For now, Im buying the 4Mp 5442 cameras. Im not sure Ill be upgrading to 4K anytime soon based on my new found knowledge and cost of those cameras with proper sensor.

Is there a guide for how to properly setup motion detection in BI?
There are many posts discussing it as well as the help file. Use the simple algorithm not edge vector.