Selecting a NVR maybe Hikvision NVR DS-7608NI-E2/8P?

wxjoe

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
HIK USA has public ftp for firmware downloads for the NVR/Cameras listed in folder name. I was just curious if there were more features/functions available.

tradertim

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
hey alastair.

1. Does the 3.3.4 come with virtual host?
2. How are you finding it with respect to software bugs etc.
3. Does the motion email attached photos of the motion event?

I could narrow down my firmware if not the 78xx 76xx.

Peace from New Zealand :)

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
1. Does the 3.3.4 come with virtual host?
I don't actually know, sorry, as I'm running it on a 7816N-E2 that has no PoE ports. I'm leaving my 7816N-E2/8P pretty much alone in terms of updates as its my 'production system'.

2. How are you finding it with respect to software bugs etc.
I haven't seen any quirks or problems on the web GUI, it's stable and been on it about 2 weeks just to see how it is.
It would have been good to have motion events highlighted with continuous recording on the playback timeline on the web GUI. But it does have that on the VGA/HDMI interface, which I don't use much.
One thing I have noticed on the VGA/HDMI interface is that mouse clicks are now quite erratic, often giving multiples, quite annoying when entering the required long strong password.

3. Does the motion email attached photos of the motion event?
Until I take the time to tune down the motion events in the cameras, I won't be using email alerts as I'd be swamped.
But I should do some experiments with that as it seems to be a problem topic on the newer firmware.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I just added email alerts to the 7816N-E2 with the 3.3.4 firmware.
It does seem to work - but the attached images are thumbnail sized at 14KB. See sample below a view of a ceiling:

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Biggs

n3wb
Reaction score
If you place your NVR on the same switch as the cameras you will accomplish the same thing without the noise of the built in poe ports and direct access to the cameras as well as not having to homerun the cameras to the NVR.
1. In this setup, how will you power the IP cameras?
2. How loud is the noise from built-in POE ports or is this coming from the fan of the NVR?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
1. In this setup, how will you power the IP cameras?
2. How loud is the noise from built-in POE ports or is this coming from the fan of the NVR?
1) using a fanless poe switch.
2) yes its coming from the fan..
Hikvision made some vertical NVR's sold by lts that had much larger fans and were much quieter...

Biggs

n3wb
Reaction score
1) using a fanless poe switch.
2) yes its coming from the fan..
Hikvision made some vertical NVR's sold by lts that had much larger fans and were much quieter...
1. I see. So from the router, you connect a fanless poe switch. From this fanless poe switch, you connect a fanless NVR and each IP camera?

2. Would using the Hikvision NVR's built-in POE consume more power than say, using a DC adapter for each IP camera?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
1. I see. So from the router, you connect a fanless poe switch. From this fanless poe switch, you connect a fanless NVR and each IP camera?

2. Would using the Hikvision NVR's built-in POE consume more power than say, using a DC adapter for each IP camera?
1) yes. Except I think there is still a fan on the non-poe NVR's...I havent seen the newer hikvision non poe nvr's...It should be quieter though...
2) Power consumption will be the same...its silly to use a dc adapter.....aside from the wiring mess, you will need a surge protector at each outlet...