Second entry door cam directly over door?

steve457

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm in the process of installing my cameras and so far have got my mini-dome installed next to the front door about 6' high so that I could get a good view of faces. From this location, however, I cannot see directly under the camera and cannot see what is directly on the door step. I'm debating whether I need yet another camera directly overhead on the overhang above the door looking down so that I could get a clear view of the doorstep area. Do you think it necessary to have a second camera just to see the doorstep? I'm debating whether it is necessary, but figured while I have the wall ripped apart it is easier to get a wire up there now than to have to rip everything open again later on.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm debating whether it is necessary, but figured while I have the wall ripped apart it is easier to get a wire up there now than to have to rip everything open again later on.
I think you've answered your own question there.
Another option if you can handle the strange images, and the cost, is to look at a 360Deg fisheye camera such as this: www.hikvision.com/UploadFile/image/2014041511314065455.pdf

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Only you can decide if it's worth it to have a cam showing the packages. It'd make it a lot easier to see if there's one there NOW instead of having to flip through a bunch of earlier video and see if someone carrying a package approached the door. Same thing with a missing package. You'll be able to see if anybody approaches your front door but might have to watch a lot of footage of cars driving by, etc to see if someone left with it, depending on how your motion detection is set up. If it's sheltered and up in soffit then even one of these super cheapos pointing straight down with the lens looking through a small hole should last a long time- https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/1812-Review-TOP-201-Super-Mini-720P-HD-IP-Cam-(The-Cheapest-IP-Cam-So-Far-!!) How badly a cam is needed would depend on the ease of seeing the package instantly and the size of the current blindspot. For example, can someone be at your front door and not be seen standing there? What's proof worth that someone actually entered instead of possibly just standing in the blind spot?

Wire's cheap. With the wire or even a cheap $22 camera there, you could always add one later or swap the throwaway out for something better for packages in the future. If the budget would allow for a "real" camera at $50-$100 then even better.

LittleBrother

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I would hate not knowing if a package is there. I only have one camera and it points downward. Can't see faces as well but it's fine by me :) I can get faces on another camera anyway above my driveway.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
If the camera you're using now is a 16:9 wide screen camera, rotate it 90°. Depending on how wide your porch is, you probably will benefit from a taller image, rather than a wider one. I've turned my DS-2CD2432F-IW on its side, and can now see directly beneath the camera, all the way up to above the head of the courier.

Attachments

steve457

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I appreciate all the suggestions and replies! I'll definitely give turning the camera sideways first to see if that still gives the coverage I need. I may still just get a wire up into the soffet, since it will be relatively easy while I have the wall open. I'd hate to kick myself later if I ever want a camera up there and did not run the extra wire.