Reaction score
SD8C845FG-HNF
PTZ4K45X-AI
Superior Night Vision at Long Range
4K 8MP 45x Smart PTZ Ultra Light , 1/1.2'' CMOS
8 mm–360 mm Lens
White Light and IR Dual Light Fusion

Face Detection and Recognition

How heavy is this PTZ? How high does it need to be mounted to get reasonable performance? Any newer PTZ cameras in this price range I should consider?

For background:
I am on a 40 acre farm with the farmhouse and barns at the top of a hill/homesite. Pastures and driveways all fall away with ~100ft drop in a 1/4 mile.

I am looking for facial recognition pictures at ~200yd/m day or night in addition to general surveillance. Do I need special software to record video and adjust features?

TIA,
Sid

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Product Dimensions 442 mm × Φ262 mm (17.40" × Φ10.32")
Net Weight 9.6 kg (21.64 lb)
Gross Weight 12.5 kg (27.56 lb)

SD8C845FG-HNF - Dahua Technology

You should be golden at 200 yds in daytime
At night you'll be nearing the limits of the onboard IR according to spec but it does have the big 1/1.2" sensor

I think a couple of members have one so maybe you can get a real world opinion

Otherwise I'd look at the 4MP with 500+M IR with 1/1.8" sensors
WizMind Series - Dahua Technology

sidpost

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No special software, though you may want to invest in an NVR to record it vs relying on the card and limited record time
I have a Synology Diskstation 1821+ for video storage. I also have a 2 Surveillance Station software licenses for it. Not sure if all the functions on the PTZ are supported though so, I may need to get Blue Iris or similar software.

Broachoski

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I feel fortunate to have one of Andy's SD8C845FG-HNF cameras. I only run in IR mode at night.
Just to get you an example, tonight I pointed it to my barn, 220 yds away which has trees and crap in the way but wanted to test it in color mode without using the built in LED lights. I made no adjustments to the settings. The barn was illuminated with flourescent lights. photo attached.
The other photo is a basic IR capture with IR from another camera at the barn. I cannot show a distant photo using the cameras built in IR as the area is pretty well saturated from other cameras.
220ydsColorModeFlourescentBigBoyPTZ-101m.20230914_204647233.73.jpg220yds-Infared-BigBoyPTZ-101m.20230914_204647233.73.jpg

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Nice shots. Better than I expected at that distance. Gotta love that 1/1.2” sensor.

But with 360mm of zoom and that being almost at max zoom, is it enough without ambient light? Can you take that same snapshot with camera IR only and no lights on at the barn?

Broachoski

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Can you take that same snapshot with camera IR only and no lights on at the barn?
I am zooming though a small window between trees and cannot quite make it work. This pic is with IR turned off but other cameras (not at the barn) are casting the IR. The barn is located where the bright IR is seen in the middle of the screen. Some leaves are interfering and I cant get it to focus on the barn. I will do some trimming and try again tonight. I will disable all lights at the barn. From what I have seen I think it looks quite promising.

Attachments

Broachoski

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Here is an example of an old SD49225XA-HNR. 350 yards tracking. The Blue house in the distance is not quite a mile at 5200 ft. Forget about night time. Quality it tuned down for storage. That tree that in the way has another camera nestled within the branches. I have had no issues whatsoever with EmpireTech-Andy cameras.

Last edited:

Broachoski

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
When doing color at night with the SD8, the "White Light" LEDs do get attention.
The first night that I played with it, I scanned around the property to play with it.
I got a text from a neighbor who's house is not visible from mine and is about 400 yards away.
He wanted to let me know that someone is spot lighting on my property.
It took me a while to determine that the culprit was only myself.

reaper77

n3wb
Reaction score
How come the IR light are almost as bad?
Are you saying that IR lights are visible to human eye?
Or are these some hybrid lights?
Is it the case for every camera or just for those with external IR lights?

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
The IR is 850nm so it's visible as a red glow at the LEDs on the camera. Most all cameras use the same wavelength IR and you'll see them if looking at the camera whether they're external or inside a dome (the latter not done much anymore).