Sd and Smb storage together

gim74

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello everybody,

I just finished installing my new ip camera (Hikvision 2332) and it works quite well.

I speny quite some time searching in the forums but had no luck.

I installed and formatted both a SD card and configured a SMB partition on my home server (PC Win10).

I did set up motion detection, it works and it records videos that I can see from the ivms-4500 Iphone app.

I have a couple questions, maybe someone can help me on at least some of these.

- where are the videos stored, on the SD card, on the SMB partition or on both? both storages are present in the storage section of the web based portal.

- does this applies also for the snapshots?

- on the PC SMB partition I see a strange structure (/datadir0 with many empty and non empty mp4 file that do not open, some bin file and a large jpg (but with the extension pic) that I guess contains many jpgs from the snapshots. How can I use these files??

Thanks a lot from Switzerland!
Gim

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
These should open, they are the actual video files. Sounds like you may be missing an h.264 codec.
The empty ones and the indexes are part of the 'framework' of folders and files created when the camera 'formats' the share.
This is how it manages the storage and its metadata when the 'Playback' function is used.

gim74

n3wb
Reaction score
These should open, they are the actual video files. Sounds like you may be missing an h.264 codec.
The empty ones and the indexes are part of the 'framework' of folders and files created when the camera 'formats' the share.
This is how it manages the storage and its metadata when the 'Playback' function is used.
Thanks for the answer.

My PC has VLC installed that plays almost everything (mkv with h264 are a common file I use)... but these mp4 file I cannot play. BTW if I download locally from the camera the videos (playback menu) I can play the mp4 I get from there.

Are the files I download using the playback menu on the SD card?

GSB1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm new to this, but also have an SD card and SMB NAS configured.

My belief at the present is that the camera writes to the NAS when it is online, otherwise the card, but not both.

With my 2132 I started with just my SD card, then added the NAS. With the NAS offline, I can only view records from before the NAS was configured and those after it was tajen offline, hence my present conclusion.

It would be great for someone more experienced with this to confirm either way though.

By the way I am having to use VLC to play the videos.

gim74

n3wb
Reaction score
I tried to test this scenario (NAS disconnected) and I was still able to see the recordings. Is it possible that it saves simultaneously on both the SD and NAS?

GSB1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I tried to test this scenario (NAS disconnected) and I was still able to see the recordings. Is it possible that it saves simultaneously on both the SD and NAS?
If you have found that it does, then it must!

My NAS is consuming diskspace while my SD is card is not changing at all, so I know mine is not recording to both simultaneously.

So it would appear the 2332 uses the card as a live second drive and the 2132 only as a fail over.