Scammers really Suck...

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Most importantly.. #1. Condolences on the recent loss of your loved one.

#2. FUCK CANCER!

#3. Reach out to the obit service and (politely?) tell them to get off their @$$ and monitor their services while they provide you a full refund on the fees incurred for using their service.

#4. FUCK CANCER!
I know every time I post on my Parents they have to approve the post which usually takes a day or two. I loss both of them in 2020, so each year I post on their birthdays just saying thinking of them...

Reaction score
Most importantly.. #1. Condolences on the recent loss of your loved one.

#2. FUCK CANCER!

#3. Reach out to the obit service and (politely?) tell them to get off their @$$ and monitor their services while they provide you a full refund on the fees incurred for using their service.

#4. FUCK CANCER!
A hat my wife made years ago....

1693627094676.png

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
There are no words......My pain isnt quite the same as your pain.....Thanks for letting us know.....Just keep doing the next right thing, if you get overwhelmed.....
My mom's 2 year anniversay of death from Cancer is next week.
At some point.....as ugly as it is/was...At times I thought, " maybe if just put a pillow over her face", during my Moms last days..... to stop all the Morphine, and the bullshit.....
Also 3 months out from a childhood friend whose breast cancer went to her brain.....and we lost her....

Today is a Gift, that's why they call it the Present.

Everyday I wake up above ground is a day that is borrowed or a gift from the Guys at U of M Oncology.
I survived Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma at 24( now 62) I can feel that old feeling again,.....Chemo is no fun after a few weeks.
They sent my tumor samples to the Mayo Clinic because they couldn't decide if it was Hodgkins or non hodgkins or non specific Lymphoma....I guess they got it right, im still here,,,,since 1985.....It could be creeping around inside me....thats what mind fucks me.....
If it comes back to get me again at 62,,,Chemo will really take it outta me.....
After moving my Mom 3 x in a year from Florida to Marseilles, Illinois to Libertyville IL..... I've been throwing stuff out so the surviving family members dont have to sift through excess shit.......

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Want to also share what the two funeral homes of my parents also said about writing an Obituary. Back in the day you could write all about your loved ones and all their family info. Today it is advised not to, all that info can be used for verification for credit and purchases by thieves.
One story was told that a family experienced 29 fraudulent accounts opened after a death of their loved one. Even credit cards opened and sent to their loved ones address/house where the thieves would go get them out of the mailbox. Lastly you would think it would just stop at the loved one, No, they will use that info for those family members mentioned on the Obituary too and go after them.

I wrote both of my parents Obituaries, I kept them very short with limited family info/history, that is the one we posted online. The one we read at the service was very detailed...

Reaction score
Want to also share what the two funeral homes of my parents also said about writing an Obituary. Back in the day you could write all about your loved ones and all their family info. Today it is advised not to, all that info can be used for verification for credit and purchases by thieves.
One story was told that a family experienced 29 fraudulent accounts opened after a death of their loved one. Even credit cards opened and sent to their loved ones address/house where the thieves would go get them out of the mailbox. Lastly you would think it would just stop at the loved one, No, they will use that info for those family members mentioned on the Obituary too and go after them.

I wrote both of my parents Obituaries, I kept them very short with limited family info/history, that is the one we posted online. The one we read at the service was very detailed...
You know-- initially I was just irritated at the low-life dirtbag that would spam/scam a damn obituary. I had not thought about her death turning her (and my) financial info and accounts into a massive target for financial fraud. It's amazing that grieving families have to put up with that kind of horseshit. Her credit info is now frozen with all 3 bureaus.

srvfan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My sincerest condolences for your loss sir. Prayers for you and your family.
I’d also like to extend my apologies that you have to deal with a scumbag waste of flesh, blood, and air that is this scammer. That is a true sick POS.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My sincerest condolences for your loss sir. Prayers for you and your family.
I’d also like to extend my apologies that you have to deal with a scumbag waste of flesh, blood, and air that is this scammer. That is a true sick POS.
You know, this is just my Opinion, there is not much difference in what Funeral Homes charge and seem to take advantage of people now a days and these scammers. I am not saying all of them are that way but a friend here, @pete_c just loss his Mom and it was $15k
That is a hard pill to swallow for a grieving family.

Keizer

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You know-- initially I was just irritated at the low-life dirtbag that would spam/scam a damn obituary. I had not thought about her death turning her (and my) financial info and accounts into a massive target for financial fraud. It's amazing that grieving families have to put up with that kind of horseshit. Her credit info is now frozen with all 3 bureaus.
Something else you might want to think about is taking your wifes name off any joint property. Its sad but people try and steal identities so they can steal your stuff. I took my wifes name off the land and home we shared right after she passed.

Reaction score
Well how about that.... Experion sent an email stating they were notified that the SS# associated with the credit file was of someone who recently died. Is the system actually working?

1694694622826.png

Reaction score
If you had not already planned on doing so... confirm & verify the validity of the email and the 'number to call' before responding
Yes-- Legit email from them. I went in and locked her credit down on all 3 bureaus.

Here's some more financial fun from the past week...

Sam's Club...

We had a SamsClub credit card where she was the primary. I called them (Synchrony Bank) to switch me to be the primary on the account. I was told: "I'm sorry, we can't do that, but don't worry-- you can cut up those cards now as the account is cancelled." WTF. The result of that account deletion was about a 20 point drop in MY credit rating-- F'ers. Weird how that account was counted against my credit (and ultimately helped my credit over the years), but they sure as F couldn't just keep the account and make me primary.

SO.... I go into Sams club regarding the Sams Membership account.... they told me that I can be the primary on the actual membership account, but I have to be THERE in person to do it. OK-- 165 mile trip to Sams Club in Rapid City last Sunday to address this. I explain to this guy what I want done, and he says the computer won't let him edit the name since my name is already in there as the "alternate" member on the account.

He shows me the accrued Sam's cash-- about $100 under her name and about $85 under mine... I have never seen that broken down by name, so I told him to cash hers out. done. Then he says-- lets just delete you as the alternate and then I can edit the primary and put your name in. (deleting things in a database-- what could go wrong-- right??) He acted like he had used this strategy before, and while I was standing there thinking, he said "There -- done." -- meaning he deleted me. I said-- is my Sams Cash still there? He got a blank look on his face. Geeezus....

I said let's get the manager in on this-- but the manager was on break. I eventually spent an hour and spoke to 4 different people at that desk-- all sympathetic and apologetic, and none could figure out how to help me and there was NO evidence that there was $85 in SamsCash there prior to deletion-- though that first guy confirmed to the manager that it was there. So-- the manager gives me a number to a higher-level of support at corporate. I called that number on Tuesday, and spoke to a rep with that distinctive accent from the Phillipines. A couple of amazing things happened-- this lady recognized that my issues were above her pay grade, and escalated me to another lady--- how often does That happen?? That next lady actually fixed it all and sent me a credit on the account.

Last item-- I was burned on the credit card cancellation, but the plus membership is worth it to us so I went ahead and get a new card application done while checking out. Well fuck... that generated a hard check on my credit rating, dropping my credit score another 10 F***ing points. FFS. :banghead:

Our NEXT lesson boys and girls will be about PayPal and Venmo LOL... actually that was easy. I got into her accounts, transferred any cash in those systems, and closed the accounts.

I knew there would be some bullshit to deal with... but Wow.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes-- Legit email from them. I went in and locked her credit down on all 3 bureaus.

Sam's Club...

We had a SamsClub credit card where she was the primary. I called them (Synchrony Bank) to switch me to be the primary on the account. I was told: "I'm sorry, we can't do that, but don't worry-- you can cut up those cards now as the account is cancelled." WTF. The result of that account deletion was about a 20 point drop in MY credit rating-- F'ers. Weird how that account was counted against my credit (and ultimately helped my credit over the years), but they sure as F couldn't just keep the account and make me primary.

SO.... I go into Sams club regarding the Sams Membership account.... they told me that I can be the primary on the actual membership account, but I have to be THERE in person to do it. OK-- 165 mile trip to Sams Club in Rapid City last Sunday to address this. I explain to this guy what I want done, and he says the computer won't let him edit the name since my name is already in there as the "alternate" member on the account.

He shows me the accrued Sam's cash-- about $100 under her name and about $85 under mine... I have never seen that broken down by name, so I told him to cash hers out. done. Then he says-- lets just delete you as the alternate and then I can edit the primary and put your name in. (deleting things in a database-- what could go wrong-- right??) He acted like he had used this strategy before, and while I was standing there thinking, he said "There -- done." -- meaning he deleted me. I said-- is my Sams Cash still there? He got a blank look on his face. Geeezus....

I said let's get the manager in on this-- but the manager was on break. I eventually spent an hour and spoke to 4 different people at that desk-- all sympathetic and apologetic, and none could figure out how to help me and there was NO evidence that there was $85 in SamsCash there prior to deletion-- though that first guy confirmed to the manager that it was there. So-- the manager gives me a number to a higher-level of support at corporate. I called that number on Tuesday, and spoke to a rep with that distinctive accent from the Phillipines. A couple of amazing things happened-- this lady recognized that my issues were above her pay grade, and escalated me to another lady--- how often does That happen?? That next lady actually fixed it all and sent me a credit on the account.

Last item-- I was burned on the credit card cancellation, but the plus membership is worth it to us so I went ahead and get a new card application done while checking out. Well fuck... that generated a hard check on my credit rating, dropping my credit score another 10 F***ing points. FFS. :banghead:

Our NEXT lesson boys and girls will be about PayPal and Venmo LOL... actually that was easy. I got into her accounts, transferred any cash in those systems, and closed the accounts.

It is so crazy now a days. Technology is suppose make things easier right? We run into things like this all the time. I was trying to add my wife's name on a Bank of America checking account, it took us three days/trips to try to get this done, we finally closed the account. They had to check her credit, which we had to go home and unlock the Credit Bureau accounts, then go back next day, done right, haha nope, the 3rd day we get a notice that the transaction did not go through, went back to the bank to get an apology but no fix. Again just trying to add my wife's name to an account. Use to be a 5 minute signature card signing and a handshake...

Reaction score
... just trying to add my wife's name to an account. Use to be a 5 minute signature card signing and a handshake...
YES!!!

How I felt standing at that damn customer service counter listening to bullshit excuses raining down....

LOL.... we have easy lives in this day and age-- don't we?

Still-- simple things shouldn't be this damn hard.

Last edited:

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score

Sam's Club...

Going through all of the motions and making sure accounts are taken care of really does suck. I had some that were easy and others that were sort of a pain. I expected Xfinity to be a nightmare, but it wasn't that bad.

And, regarding Sam's Club, unrelated to my wife's accounts I had bumped up to the Plus membership because I was going to make a large purchase and with the pro-rated membership cost I was going to make more in rebate than it would cost to upgrade. I clicked the button in the app to upgrade, and that was it. When it came time to downgrade, I had to go to the store to prove it was me that was wanting to make the change. Why? I could make the change to go up, which COSTS money, without being there in person. But to downgrade and it cost me less money I couldn't just click a button. :rolleyes:

Last edited: