sanity check

Reaction score
Since ive never done this I wanted to state my plan and let you guys tell me if im on the right track or if im missing something. Here goes.

4 POE cameras > CAT6 > POE unmanaged switch > dedicated blue iris PC

that goes into one gigabit lan port on the PC and another gigabit lan on the PC connects to my main network.

Would this accomplish the ability to keep network congestion down on my main network, but still allow me to connect to view the cameras remotely using a phone app?

If im in the wrong forum for this could a moderator be so kind as to move my message where it should be?

Reaction score
yes gigabit switch. I figured it best to keep the network separate from my main network.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, you are going to have to route traffic across the 2 NICs on the PC, which is going to have to additionally process that (admittedly not large) load.
Remember also that a switch will only forward (non-broadcast) packets between source and destination, so the only area that would see the traffic is the uplink port, the PC LAN port and the switch fabric, which is generally rated at wire speed x all ports.

Reaction score
the PC is the elitedesk i5-4690S that is mentioned in the forums so there shouldnt be much problem with using 2 NICS, but do you think I would be better just connecting the POE unmanaged switch into my router instead with the cameras and dedicated PC on the POE switch?

I figured by having 2 NICS I would basically be creating a robust NVR.

Last edited by a moderator:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
do you think I would be better just connecting the POE unmanaged switch into my router instead with the cameras and dedicated PC on the POE switch?
If the PoE switch is Gigabit throughout, and is spec'ed with a full wirespeed backplane, you'll certainly have no problems with performance with cameras and PC all connected. It will act as the network core.
Even the aggregate camera traffic to the PC is hardly going to be noticed by the switch.
another gigabit lan on the PC connects to my main network.
But what does the 'main network' consist of? More switches, or just the router?

Then the onward link from PoE switch to the router will handle internet and presumably WiFi traffic.
What speed are the router ports specified as?

Reaction score
Main network would be a router and maybe a few unmanaged switches. Yes everything is gigabit. But I thought of a potential issue with my logic. An unmanaged poe switch for the camera network wouldn't give out ip addresses would it? If you think there shouldn't be a big bandwidth hit on the network with 4 cameras I may just connect everything to one network, less headache.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
An unmanaged poe switch for the camera network wouldn't give out ip addresses would it?
It's the router DHCP service that gives out IP addresses and other network configuration.
With multiple interconnected switches, it's a 'flat network', it doesn't matter where the router is connected, it will still work for DHCP.

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you've never done this before and are running your own line, consider Cat5e instead of Cat6. Cat6 is much stiffer and depending on circumstances, can be harder to pull/negotiate thru walls and other places. The wires are thicker too. A lot of people here would rather the 5e over 6 since its easier to work with and the speed difference between the two isn't going to be noticeable with IP Cams.

Reaction score
I have not done it before, but ive already purchased and received cat6 from monoprice. On that note, I have a rookie question. I am installing this in an attic, does it need to be in conduit?

mark4470

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have not done it before, but ive already purchased and received cat6 from monoprice. On that note, I have a rookie question. I am installing this in an attic, does it need to be in conduit?
No conduit..