Review - TOP-201 Super Mini 720P HD IP-Cam (The Cheapest IP Cam So Far !!)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Still no joy. :(

Does this tell you anything?

Did you try the suggestions without using the inspect button? What is the error that you get in BI?

Sent via Taptalk

Sparkey

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yea, what yhou're looking at is the result of using the inspect button.

I can log into the camera with CMS just fine.

Sparkey

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I kept pecking away at it and suddenly it started working. I quickly saved the setting in BI and called it a day.

Thanks for the help.

Dane

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Don - followed your instructions to the letter. Made a partition on "C" and even a DIR called "mod". All other settings as in your example. Both local and remote.
In remote settings/advanced "HD Manage" and in remote settings/info "HD Info" there is still no HD, but now it records on motion and saves in E:/mod.
So mission accomplished - it saves video on a HD it don't have.
Thanks again

Allan

dj_sandro

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello, I have an ESCAM QD520 Peashooter model. I just updated to the latest firmware. But now i cannot access the camera from xmeye.net Any suggestions? i tried to downgrade the firmware to version V4.02.R12.00006510.10010.1303 but i still cannot access it from the site. Cloud option is enabled. Hardware model is HI3518E_50H10L_S39. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

stepz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi, I read the archive last night until my eyes hurt. I want to ask questions not in the archives.

1) Can it accept pinhole lens (see attached image)? If not, why not? Is it because of the pcb board/sensor or the metal casing.
If it's the metal casing.. what exact metal casing to get that can accept screws from the pcb?

2) I read 3518e is better than 3518c. The 3518e being in the original top-201. but how come Aliexpress has no sellers for the one based on 3518e or the top-201 (this is not made in US but china? I live nearer china so Aliexpress is more preferable when I order. If you know even one seller in Aliexpess who does.. let me know.

3) I own a 1080p imx122 ultra low lux with 0.01 lux color and 0.001 b/w based on the 3516C chip. What is better, the 3516C or 3518E? And how does this top-201 compared in low light to the 0.001 lux 1080p imx122? The 1080p has 40mm*40mm metal casing. While the top-201 has 34mm*34mm metal casing. I need the smallest ip cam in the world even if it's 720p. Is there a 30mm*30mm pinhole ip cam?

4) That's all for now. Thanks.

Attachments

stepz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes this was brought up and mentioned earlier here, in this Forum thread. Your link ("$30.35 U.S.") is for a price almost $6.00 U.S. more expensive than the original link of only $24.41 U.S. which also includes shipping as yours does:

http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/cNP50oyu

Original link found here: http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php?1812-Review-TOP-201-Super-Mini-720P-HD-IP-Cam-(The-Cheapest-IP-Cam-So-Far-!!)&p=15401&viewfull=1#post15401

Also. Your link and the original link for a camera with the varifocal lens. Is for a different IP Camera module/model. See the specifications there:

"double core 32bit DSP(HI3518C),Hi3518C DSP 1/4" OV9712 CMOS Sensor"

Note: I have not been able to locate the Hi3518e being sold with a varifocal lens yet.

These cameras ("The original post") are based on the Hi3518e SoC Chipset. Which is more advanced and has more features. So, please be aware of that.

Don
Is the Hi3518e really more advanced than the Hi3518c? But the following URL say otherwise:

http://www.mvteamcctv.com/news/What-is-the-difference-between-Hi3518C-and-Hi3518E.html

Right now let’s come to notice the Sepecification between the two chipset Hi3518C and Hi3518E(you can study more about the chipset , then you will know why)

3518E Inter core Processor:ARM9@Max.440MHz,16KB-Cache,16KB D-Cache
3518C Inter core Processor:ARM926@ 440MHz,16KB-Cache,16KB D-Cache

3518C CBR/VBR Stream rate : 32kbit/s~40Mbit/s
3518E CBR/VBR/ABR Stream rate : 16kbit/s~20Mbit/s

3518C ISP support Anti-fog, lens Adjust, Mirror,Flip, support WDR and tone mapping ,while 3518E not

3518C power consumption: 700mW
3518E power consumption: 900mW
"

Is the above accurate guys? How can the 3518E is be better than the 3518C?

stepz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It's not so much as better as much as that the Hi3518E uses newer technology.

By the way. The Hi3518E does support WDR.

Also I would use the specification sheets from the manufacturer ("Hisilicon") vs. using potentially edited and incorrect data from 3rd party websites:

http://www.hisilicon.com/products/digital.html

Note: The downloads above are currently not working. However they should be back soon. They were working yesterday.

You can see pros and cons for both. When comparing both, using the manufacturers specifications above.

Don
The datasheet are inaccessible. I think the summary is that the older 3518e has better sensor (sony HAD) but older chipset than the newer 3518c that uses other brand sensor not so good as sony's? Right? If anyone has seen datasheet comparison of them. Please share them because the site datasheet can't be accessed

Also why did they make newer model that is lower in number. For example. 3518c is newer than 3518e. While 3516c is newer than 3518c. So that means a say 3415c is newer than all of them. In Chinese. Is there 9 lower than 1? How come?

MikeSav

n3wb
Reaction score
I will ask the manufacturers support team on if they are aware of any issues with the xmeye.net interface and the latest firmware. Personally, I am not aware of any issues.
Interestingly, if you look at the entry on the Escam site for firmware for the camera mentioned above (and the QD310 that I have), it says:

Sorry,because of the firmware problem, this firmware has been removed off shelves.we will solve it and upload again.

It is dated March 20, 2015.

I haven't upgraded mine. It's less than a year old, and the IR LEDs are already starting to burn out. I'm going to replace it.

stepz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I don't agree with your numbering assessment above and you will be able to see why when the specification downloads comeback online. Each specification is dated. Which makes it really easy to see what came first and what came later.

Yes my prior posts mentions that the downloads are not working today. But they were working yesterday. They should be back online shortly. I have noticed that the downloads tend to go "Offline" during the manufacturers non working hours and they comeback about 9:00 PM U.S. CDT time.

It's important to note that the sensors are not tied at the hip for either SoC ("System On a Chip"). A manufacturer can use different sensors and they do.

See 3 devices support classes 5. Do you now corresponding sensor module models have what? below, for a list of sensors with the different IP Camera boards this manufacture sells:

https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?act=url&depth=1&hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://wiki.xm030.com/index.php/IPC%E7%B1%BBFAQ&usg=ALkJrhhp_6xLDrj9WpatvOXrnEmSc3_L5w

You then can use this to see the actual models of the boards to cross reference the above sensor list. See 1.3 HD network camera module IPG:

https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?act=url&depth=1&hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://wiki.xm030.com/index.php/%E4%BA%A7%E5%93%81%E4%BB%8B%E7%BB%8D&usg=ALkJrhgIX6f5fKXodAiX6p3dbl2RwGGJLw#.E9.AB.98.E6.B8.85.E7.BD.91.E7.BB.9C.E6.91.84.E5.83.8F.E6.9C.BA.E6.A8.A1.E7.BB.84IPG

Don
such complication.. lol.. for us consumers who just want to know how many percentage less performance we get from 3518e... hope someone can just give numbers.

anyway. what puzzles me.. the original top-201 based on 3518e is only available in www.buyincoins.com located in the US (for only $21). Howe come none of the dozen miniature ip cam sellers in aliexpress.com in china sells this too (they sell only 3518c based and more expensive at $28)? Can someone explain this mystery?

skywise

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I kept pecking away at it and suddenly it started working. I quickly saved the setting in BI and called it a day.

Thanks for the help.
Do you have your settings? COuld you screenshot it?
I'm trying to get a TOP-201 going and the best I've managed so far is a very slow framerate (1 or 2 a second)

stepz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
As it turned out. The IP Camera being sold with the varifocal lens on Ali Express that you reference. Really is a ("Partial - Black metal box housing being the only thing in common") clone of the IP Camera originally posted here and does not use the same SoC ("System on a Chip") chipset or firmware. Which is a Hi3518E SoC chipset. The IP Camera being sold below, with the varifocal lens, is based on an older SoC chipset. The Hi3518C:

http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/b9FTycs0

They are different. The Hi3518E SoC chipset is newer and has more features. The Hi3518E SoC chipset was created/released in 2014 whereas the Hi3518C SoC chipset, was created/released in 2012. The Hi3518E is in the IP Camera originally posted about in this thread.

You can compare the product brief descriptions between the two by clicking them here:

Hi3518C Chipset Specifications -- Hi3518E Chipset Specifications

I'd ask the seller if the SoC chipset for this IP Camera is a Hi3518C or Hi3518E. One way to prove that they are not lying to you is to ask them what their IP Camera shows as its System firmware version when accessed via its browser interface. If that version number does not include "6510" then the IP Camera is not using the Hi3518E SoC chipset:

For some reason. I have not found a Hi3518E SoC chipset based IP Camera being sold with a varifocal lens yet in the same black metal box housing. The ones I have found, like yours. Always turn out to be based on the Hi3518C SoC chipset.

IMHO. The most major issue with purchasing a IP Camera with an older SoC Chipset like the Hi3518C ("Created/Released in 2012") is that manufacturers don't continue to support them with new features and firmware changes like they do with the newer SoC chipsets like the Hi3518E ("Created/Released in 2014").

These days. It seems like the average actively supported IP Cameras including adding new features and frequent firmware updates. Seems to be generally no more then 2 years before the manufacturer/OEM moves on with another SoC chipset to make fresh money on.

More or less abandoning IP Cameras, older than 2 years of age which are using older hardware technology. When there are security issues that need to be fixed for IP Cameras two years or older. Some manufacturers/OEM's don't even care to release firmware fixes due to their age.

I call this mentality. The "New TV Age". After purchasing a Samsung LCD TV years ago that would not turn on two years later and the warranty had expired. Closest TV repair shop from me ("Listed on the Samsung website for suggested TV repair shops") that said they could work or were willing to work on the TV. No joke, 150 Miles! Even the big box stores including where the TV was originally purchased from. Won't repair TV's. Took out my voltmeter opened up the TV replaced a capacitor in the power line circuit board. Good as new.

Not so easy when you are dealing with IP Cameras that maybe have a security issue published in the public domain or a bug and because the IP Camera is over 2 years old. Nobody wants to release a firmware fix. So much for your $300+ U.S. Dollar investment.

This is one of the major reasons why I stick with cheap IP Camera solutions which are using recent technology. Why invest $300+ U.S. Dollars in anything, that in 2 years has no support, of any kind? It might also be because personally I have no need or desire to purchase IP Camera equipment to try to break the current record of distance or quality in day/night modes that any of my IP Cameras, can capture the actual act of a mosquito farting at 30 FPS.

I find this approach less costly and it leaves me with lots of extra cash as new technology is released at those same cheap prices vs. tying up all that same cash, in soon to be abandoned technology, which was overpriced anyway.

So in my hometown Chicago slang. What some sellers are trying to do now is. Put "Lipstick on a pig" with older technology ("Hi3518C SoC chipset") that on the outside looks like the newer technology ("Hi3518E SoC chipset"). Because it's in the same small black metal box container. With the bait being, the varifocal lens. Which you can still get for the Hi3518E version of this IP Camera for about $8.00 U.S. including shipping, as an accessory. Hopefully soon IP Cameras with the Hi3518E SoC chipset, will be being sold that include or have as an option from the same seller a varifocal lens for less than $30.00 U.S. including shipping.

This is not to say that purchasing this IP Camera with the Hi3518C SoC chipset is a bad idea. But it's best to know it's not using the same technology or firmware that the original IP Camera posted about here is using and that most likely the support cycle for the Hi3518C will end sooner than for the Hi3518E. Because it's about 2 years older than the Hi3518E, in the hardware technology release cycle.

All this is simply a buyer beware warning. Ultimately, the choice is yours. But at least it will be a more informed choice.

Don
Don, found the data sheets of the two in your previous message. So 3518e is really newer than 3518c. Maybe most aliexpres seller sells one based on 3518c is because it's cheaper? anyway why is there many misinformation the 3518c has more features.. for example in

http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=42123

3518E Chip Made in China ;20fps @ 720P, 15fps @960P. Not Realtime.
3518C Chip Made in China; 25fps, Realtime

why is this believed even if the specs don't say so? maybe an earlier version? Or maybe it depends on the video chipset used?

the sensor used in the top201 appears to be the OV, although as I understand it, It can take the AR low lux too?

skywise

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Do you have your settings? COuld you screenshot it?
I'm trying to get a TOP-201 going and the best I've managed so far is a very slow framerate (1 or 2 a second)
Ok, replying to my own post. :)
Two things:
1. I was using a new user ID I'd added (blue, and blue) and I was getting a password error.
So, I added a password to admin (admin) and that seems to have solved my first problem.
2. I was still getting horrible frame rates, it was slowing everything down (all cameras) and when I disabled the camera, the problem persisted with the other cameras so I shutdown/restarted BI. That fixed things and the TOP201 (and the other cameras) are working fine.

So, everything is ok using the TOP201.

stepz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
i already ordered a top201. id like a confirmation that it can accept pinhole lens like below before i ordered such lens. tnx

Attachments

DaveP

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi stepz

The 'top201' type of camera board does not come with the IR switching/ blocking components, and needs to use an IR blocking lens to keep the colours right.... (doesn't come with it cos the case/box is to small)

So if you can find a pinhole lens that is IR blocking then all will be well.

Legolas

n3wb
Reaction score
An update and a question.
Update: a version of this camera sold on amazon.com can't receive firmware upgrades. I returned it and bought from OP's link. Now I can update firmware fine.

Question: I configured TOP-201 to work with Blue Iris using this RTSP string: rtsp://192.168.1.10:554/user=admin_password=[XXXXXXXX]_channel=1_stream=0.sdp?real_stream but if I shut down the computer without closing Blue Iris, upon next login Blue Iris looses RTSP stream and the only way to bring it back is to power cycle TOP-201. I do need to shut down the computer (which is a low-power nettop NUC2820) by pressing the power button because I don't have a monitor/mouse/keyboard connected to it, so I press power button once - computer powers up and camera is armed. I press power button again - the computer shuts down - recording stops.

VLC player also can't find the stream after such computer shutdown. Why is that happening? Am I using a wrong RTSP string? It looks like TOP-201 can't restart RTSP stream after it has been improper interrupted. Any suggestions, please?

rach58

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,
Thank you for this forum which is a source of information (sorry for my bad english). I use two cameras that are in automatic detection and sends files to a ftp server. they walk day by creating a directory to today's date but does not create a directory for the next day (I'm forced to delete the directory of the previous day that my cameras send images). I tried several different configurations and firmware is always the same. thank you for your advice. In device -> record -> snapshot in week i chose "all" and confirm. If i return in this option, becomes one day. Is this good ? thank you.