Review - TOP-201 Super Mini 720P HD IP-Cam (The Cheapest IP Cam So Far !!)

lojix

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello!

Sorry first for my bad english,,
Welcome Hans! You're English seems to be fine for me to follow.

ihave see this camera and want to use it as a security door cam

i want see the picture from my iphone (In the browser or an app)
Regarding the Apple IOS app for use on your iPhone, please see the post directly above yours.

if i go on the webinterface with my mac with safari, i see the webinterface only in chinese, can i change it ?
I am not sure if there are any compatibility issues with Safari browser, but I suspect there might be.
You could try installing Firefox for Mac Then you should be able to select the correct language setting.

mag_ikke

n3wb
Reaction score
Recording of stream

Hello,

I have done some testing to record the stream of the cams.
The FTP recording is not working, so i tried some other options.

First USB, by soldering a usb stick to the connector.
The USB is visible (via telnet) in cat /proc/kmsg and as /dev/1-1 and /dev/usbdev1.3.
But mounting seems not possible, not sure why, because I have a limited knowledge of Linux.

Next try, direct recording by my router with openrts on OpenWrt (you could also use your nas).
Openrtsp has very litle overhead, it only uses 2-3% CPU/stream
First by monitoring the logfile of the FTP server, used by the cam for uploading pictures.
I used Router + Openwrt + Pureftp + openRTSP
I changed the decoding of the main stream to 1280x720 CBR and 10 frames/s, to reduce filesize.

script
Code:
#!/bin/sh
FILE="/var/log/pureftpd.log"
SAVEMAP="/home/ftp/"
CAM111URL="rtsp://192.168.XXX.111:554/user=admin2_password=admin_channel=1_stream=0.sdp"
CAM222URL="rtsp://192.168.XXX.222:554/user=admin2_password=admin_channel=1_stream=0.sdp"
CAM111="cam111.mp4"
CAM222="cam222.mp4"
RECORDTIME="30"
LAST=`ls -l "$FILE"`
while true; do
  sleep 1
  NEW=`ls -l "$FILE"`
  if [ "$NEW" != "$LAST" ]; then
    MP4DATE=`date +%Y%m%d_%H%M%S`
    openRTSP -b 3000000 -V -v -4 -d "$RECORDTIME" -w 1280 -h 720 -f 10 "$CAM111URL" > "$SAVEMAP$MP4DATE$CAM111" &
    openRTSP -b 3000000 -V -v -4 -d "$RECORDTIME" -w 1280 -h 720 -f 10 "$CAM111URL" > "$SAVEMAP$MP4DATE$CAM222" &
    wait
    LAST=`ls -l "$FILE"`
  fi
done

But with this option you record both streams at the same time and not only the the activated cam.
So next try was with the alarmserver on the IPCAM and netcat on the router to monitor an alarm.
I used Router + Openwrt + openRTSP + netcat
On IPcam activated alarmserver on port 15002
IP adress in my alarm message is inverter and in hex, therefore I use the hex code (CAM111HEX).
Check your hexcode on commandline with nc -l -p portno.
This will record the CAM on alarm output for 30 seconds.

script
Code:
#!/bin/sh
ALARMPORT="15002"
SAVEMAP="/home/ftp/"
LOGFILE="alarmlog.txt"
CAMURL="user=admin2_password=admin_channel=1_stream=0.sdp"
CAM111URL="rtsp://192.168.XXX.111:554/"
CAM222URL="rtsp://192.168.XXX.222:554/"
CAM111HEX="0x6F00A8C0"
CAM222HEX="0xDE00A8C0"
CAM111FILE="cam111.mp4"
CAM222FILE="cam222.mp4"
RECORDTIME="30"
while true; do
    ALARMCALL=`nc -l -p "$ALARMPORT"` 
    FILEDATE=`date +%Y%m%d_%H%M%S`
    echo $FILEDATE $ALARMCALL >> $SAVEMAP$LOGFILE
    RUNNINGPROGS=`ps | grep openRTSP`
    if [ -z "${ALARMCALL##*$CAM111HEX*}" ] && ! [ -z "${RUNNINGPROGS##*$CAM111URL*}" ]; then
       openRTSP -b 3000000 -V -v -4 -d "$RECORDTIME" -w 1280 -h 720 -f 10 "$CAM111URL$CAMURL" > "$SAVEMAP$FILEDATE$CAM111FILE" &
    fi
    if [ -z "${ALARMCALL##*$CAM222HEX*}" ] && ! [ -z "${RUNNINGPROGS##*$CAM222URL*}" ]; then
       openRTSP -b 3000000 -V -v -4 -d "$RECORDTIME" -w 1280 -h 720 -f 10 "$CAM222URL$CAMURL" > "$SAVEMAP$FILEDATE$CAM222FILE" &
    fi
done

Last edited by a moderator:

truxntrax

n3wb
Reaction score
Re: Recording of stream

Hi Don,

My cam has been in the wars again... This time it stopped worked which I think was due to a small amount of water ingress into the camera housing. I have dried the camera out and cleaned the board with some ISO alcohol. The camera powers back up but now has a problem. I can telnet to the camera and I see that the process "Sophia" is exiting with a "segmentation fault". At this point telnet is stays up. I can start sophia, which runs for a period of time and then errors again. Can I flash the "special firmware" you provided before over telnet or does this need to be done over the USB TTL connection. I guess this is my last try in trying to correct the error.

It would be easier for me if I could do via telnet as it saves having to solder to the board again.

Many thanks

truxntrax

n3wb
Reaction score
Re: Recording of stream

Hi, it's the 6510. I flashed the firmware as per the instructions by ttyusb. That all went ok. All the files were deleted and rewritten OK. However the cam is still not happy and the process sophia crashes with a segmentation fault... I think the water must have damaged something that cannot be recovered with a firmware re-write. I will try the reset utility but expect that I'm stuck.

Thanks

zuccster

n3wb
Reaction score
Let me start by thanking Don for this gold mine of information on these amazing little cameras!

I've searched the thread, but can find no mention from anyone about the dimensions / aspect ratio of the snapshot stills.

I'm using 4.0.2.R12.00006510.10010.1303 and the stills (704x576px 1.222:1) are squashed compared to the live feed. That is to say, the images are not only lower resolution, but the wrong aspect ratio.

Have I missed a config option?

Many thanks!

zuccster

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for your help.

I had already installed the latest firmware linked from the page you gave

https://pan.sohu.net/f/MTY2NzYsaGRkaWQ.htm

Which is: General_HZXM_IPC_HI3518E_50H10L_S38_RT3070_V4.02.R12.20150317_ALL.bin

The build date shown in under Setting -> _Info -> Version talies with this.

Have I missed later builds somehow?

I'm using the camera's built in Video Motion detection tool to create snapshots.

Thanks again.

Attachments

johnjm

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All

Great thread this and great forum!

Im nre to the IP cam (well kinda but its my first try with onvif...).

I received two of these cameras, confirmed to be teh 6510 type and for some reason the one wont login or be recognised by CMs, device manager or anything. When I try to add it or login all it says is "unknow error".

I am able to tellnet into it but dont know how to do a hard reset.

Could anyone please tell me which two pins to short in order to do so?

The reset tool isnt working as W8 complains about side-by-side error or something.

Many thanks.a

zuccster

n3wb
Reaction score
You are very welcome.

For some reason, I had assumed that you were generating the mini IP Camera snapshots in question manually vs. them being generated by motion detection. Snapshots destined for Email and FTP generated by these mini IP Cameras during motion detection, will not be at full resolution. Please see below for complete details.

Don
Thanks for your comprehensive answer re. image scaling. I've reflashed the firmware and there's no change in the System string. Could I trouble you to confirm that the latest firmware that you have for the 6510 is:

General_HZXM_IPC_HI3518E_50H10L_S38_RT3070_V4.02.R12.20150317_ALL.bin

and the md5 checksum is: e32cdc898a7f149c88910e866e31baf1

I've extracted the firmware archive and greped around inside the img files, but I can't find where version string is kept - any clues?

johnjm

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the assistance.

Here is the error of the reset tool:

Here is the error in devicemanager:

Here is the version information. This I obtained from the one working camera (IP 192.168.1.218). They are exactly the same.

Last but not least, here is a picture of the board in question.

johnjm

n3wb
Reaction score
Forgot to add - is there a way to do full reset in telnet as I do have full access to it.

johnjm

n3wb
Reaction score
I looked into the system logs for the application:
Log Name: Application
Source: SideBySide
Date: 5/24/2015 9:37:21 PM
Event ID: 33
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: WIN-LT3MBBARUEB
Description:
Activation context generation failed for "C:\Users\John Marshall\Desktop\ResetTop-201\ResetTool.exe". Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC80.MFC,processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="8.0.50727.762" could not be found. Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="SideBySide" />
<EventID Qualifiers="49409">33</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2015-05-24T18:37:21.000000000Z" />
<EventRecordID>1512</EventRecordID>
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>WIN-LT3MBBARUEB</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>Microsoft.VC80.MFC,processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="8.0.50727.762"</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>C:\Users\John Marshall\Desktop\ResetTop-201\ResetTool.exe</Data>

Not really much help. I think I need to be more specific here - the device manager works on the camera that is working fine, however the other camera is not working. It is clearly something wrong with teh camera and not my network or PC setup. Although it is weird how this side by side error occurs, however a software reset is something that might not work.

I think the shorting of the pins method could very well work to force it to reset.

johnjm

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Don

Correct, I have had access in the past and the bad camera did work briefly.

The error in device manager is caused when I try to log into it. Either through the http port in IE or via device manager.

I have also tried to disconnect the good camera and access the bad and still no luck as when I try to log in it still says "unknow error".

If I try to reset the settings it doesn't work as the login is denied due to the unknow error. I have not changed the password of the bad camera so it is odd that it gives this error.

Many thanks for trying to assist, I just say these are very nice cameras and I think I was unlucky that the one is giving this error.

johnjm

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks Don, will give it a try. I've already ordered a few more like this and under other brand names to use.

I haven't searched the entire thread but I also like to access these via my phone and to bypass the NVR by doing so.

What is the best protocol to use as I currently use IP Can Viewer with a generic DVR and the frame rate is very slow.

johnjm

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks Don, I'm in the office right now and will attempt this as soon as I'm home :)

johnjm

n3wb
Reaction score
Don, I would just like to thank you VERY much for the assistance.

The telnet command worked and I now have access to the camera. It is great to know that helpful persons are out there and I am sure to be on this forum more often because of the great help!

Cant thank you enough!

gth

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Bought this camera: TOP-201 IP Camera for $30 AUD.

Seems like it was the right one:
Build Date:2014/10/23 16:54:2
System: V4.02.R12.00006510.10010.1407

Connected it with this PoE adapter for $15 AUD, and I was up and running in about 15 seconds after unboxing.

Figured I'd also something back - found a DOC in an archive linked earlier in this thread. Reworked in Google Docs and exported as a PDF. Still isn't very professional, but better than it was. Covers basic CMS and changing a few key settings.

Cheers, and thanks again!

edit: updated the Quick Start manual (FTP, Email, Snapshots, Android app pages added)

Attachments

gth

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
review the extensive information
Thanks Don - definitely read your deep dives when I started, along with this whole thread. Unfortunately I couldn't afford to get buried in pulling this toy open and hacking into it (much as I'd enjoy doing so). Doorbell camera was required ASAP and now it's done - on to the next project.

PS: Updated the manual above with a few more sections. Enjoy.

SDdeRuiter

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am new to this forum and would like to ask a few questions.
Recently I bought a camera on Aliexpress without having a clue what kind of hardware and software is used.

Thanks to all of you I know a lot more,

This is the camera I have:

System: V4.02.R12.00006510.10010.140700
Build date: 2015-05-18 13:17:43
System status: 71

My idea is this. I want to use the camera for Motion detection when I am not at home. My home automation will power up the camera when I leave.
But I can't get motion detection working. I have succesfully confgured the mail client and sent a test email but thats it.
In the motion settings you can select the area to detect. All I see in IE is a grey field with in the lef-bottom a blue box with select next to it I am running IE11. What can I do about it?

Next issue is Motion detection it self. I want on an alarm 1 or 2 pictures sent to my email. I already tried several settings including a full schedule from 00:00-24:00. But for some reason motion is not detected.
I tried als setting the alarm input from NO-NC (have no clue what it does..) also no effect.

Can you help?