ZeeCam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
edit: got ptz controls working after reset

Last edited:

ZeeCam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
One other issue with ptz delay in the camera interface (non BI related). Installed plugin and stream itself is good but controls and specifically PTZ function is laggy. For example I would press pan to the left button and it takes 2-3 seconds before it starts moving. It uses same POE+ connection as Hikvision dome was, so I doubt it's power related issue, unless somehow it consumes much more power.

JDreaming

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
One other issue with ptz delay in the camera interface (non BI related). Installed plugin and stream itself is good but controls and specifically PTZ function is laggy. For example I would press pan to the left button and it takes 2-3 seconds before it starts moving. It uses same POE+ connection as Hikvision dome was, so I doubt it's power related issue, unless somehow it consumes much more power.
I've checked the specs of PTZ camera power usage in the past and Dahua ptz seem to always use less power than Hikvision.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
My switch shows 9.9W without IR, 12.4W with IR, 14.9 with IR while panning.

I've not noticed any big lag. Maybe a little when you first hit the arrow. The PTZ speed doesn't affect that; rather, that's how fast it moves once it's recognized. Turn the speed up to high and it's too fast.

ZeeCam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah, high is too fast and medium is a bit slow, still tweaking settings, but they were mostly default and the 2-3 second delay when I click any ptz buttons. I have also updated to last firmware posted here and reset camera afterwards.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
A step in between for the PTZ speed would be good. There's the little slider with "SPEED" at the top next to the pan controls that goes 1-10 but that doesn't seem to do anything for me.

JDreaming

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm holding off, as well. I may be able to afford the much more expensive SD5 with a better sensor soon! lol
That's also my ptz upgrade options at the moment as well. I like the SD4A425DB-HNY with it's smaller form factor and budget price plus the discreet dome design. I also like the SD5A425XA-HNR and SD5A825XA-HNR video quality more and the bigger sensor size, but then it's much larger in physical size and more expensive in price.

That's why I'm so ambivalent about which one to choose to buy, and since Wildcat will do a review on the SD5A825XA, I was hoping to see the review before making up my mind.

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
That's also my ptz upgrade options at the moment as well. I like the SD4A425DB-HNY with it's smaller form factor and budget price plus the discreet dome design. I also like the SD5A425XA-HNR and SD5A825XA-HNR video quality more and the bigger sensor size, but then it's much larger in physical size and more expensive in price.

That's why I'm so ambivalent about which one to choose to buy, and since Wildcat will do a review on the SD5A825XA, I was hoping to see the review before making up my mind.
My comment was a bit tongue in cheek. If we keep waiting for the bugs to be worked out on the SD4 and I keep putting money aside, I'll be able to afford the SD5! lol

Yes, the form factor of the SD4 is ideal and the dome helps hide where it's pointing. If they had put a different sensor on it, I'd definitely consider it. I have a SD1A404XB with a 1/2.8" 4MP sensor and it's not as sharp at night as I'd like, even with my very well-illuminated area. It does all it's supposed to do, including face detection at night, but I should have gone with the 2MP model.

This is what happens when I don't listen to the pros on this forum. Live and learn.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My comment was a bit tongue in cheek. If we keep waiting for the bugs to be worked out on the SD4 and I keep putting money aside, I'll be able to afford the SD5! lol

Yes, the form factor of the SD4 is ideal and the dome helps hide where it's pointing. If they had put a different sensor on it, I'd definitely consider it. I have a SD1A404XB with a 1/2.8" 4MP sensor and it's not as sharp at night as I'd like, even with my very well-illuminated area. It does all it's supposed to do, including face detection at night, but I should have gone with the 2MP model.

This is what happens when I don't listen to the pros on this forum. Live and learn.
Keep in mind your SD1A404XB is a low power PTZ with less zoom than a ZE varifocal.

And at the height you have your PTZ, I think this mini-PTZ with a focal length up to 125mm will perform much better than your current PTZ that is limited to 12mm.

Now it would mean you will also have a tighter field of view and would need to employ spotter cams to cover the same area as a wider angle 12mm can.

I know you like the face recognition you get based on your image posts in your other threads, but personally I would like them tighter and clearer and this PTZ would certainly do that given your light.

Here is my mini-PTZ at 85 feet and I do not have near the light you do (well nobody does by sports arena's LOL)

1687453298874.png

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
Keep in mind your SD1A404XB is a low power PTZ with less zoom than a ZE varifocal.

And at the height you have your PTZ, I think this mini-PTZ with a focal length up to 125mm will perform much better than your current PTZ that is limited to 12mm.

Now it would mean you will also have a tighter field of view and would need to employ spotter cams to cover the same area as a wider angle 12mm can.

I know you like the face recognition you get based on your image posts in your other threads, but personally I would like them tighter and clearer and this PTZ would certainly do that given your light.

Here is my mini-PTZ at 85 feet and I do not have near the light you do (well nobody does by sports arena's LOL)

View attachment 166010
I need to work on my night settings. Mine are not as good as this.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
One thing that I didn't consider as much as I should have is that the lowest focal length is ~5mm (as it is for all of the good PTZs). Which doesn't seem like a lot but is a little tight as a minimum for the front of my house where I have it. The other cam that I had in this role was 2.7mm and it's a big difference. I thought that what I'd do as my "home" position was to set it at full wide as kind of a default overview with broader rules/zones and then have it trigger and move in from there to track as I did with my old one. That's not really possible. At the minimum it's already kind of 'zoomed' a lot . So I have to set it to look to one side and rely on my spotters to move it. Which works fine. Not a fault of the cam but would be better in my case if it were wider at that end. The 25X at the other end is great. Massive overkill for my view but I like it. lol

Yeah, I'd like to have a better sensor too. But I have enough IR around that it works pretty well.

Overall it's a good little cam. Tracking works very well for the most part especially given lots of challenges in my case. Anything bigger would look ridiculous. This also looks kind of big but I'm already 'that guy' in the neighborhood so...

JDreaming

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
One thing that I didn't consider as much as I should have is that the lowest focal length is ~5mm (as it is for all of the good PTZs). Which doesn't seem like a lot but is a little tight as a minimum for the front of my house where I have it. The other cam that I had in this role was 2.7mm and it's a big difference. I thought that what I'd do as my "home" position was to set it at full wide as kind of a default overview with broader rules/zones and then have it trigger and move in from there to track as I did with my old one. That's not really possible. At the minimum it's already kind of 'zoomed' a lot . So I have to set it to look to one side and rely on my spotters to move it. Which works fine. Not a fault of the cam but would be better in my case if it were wider at that end. The 25X at the other end is great. Massive overkill for my view but I like it. lol

Yeah, I'd like to have a better sensor too. But I have enough IR around that it works pretty well.

Overall it's a good little cam. Tracking works very well for the most part especially given lots of challenges in my case. Anything bigger would look ridiculous. This also looks kind of big but I'm already 'that guy' in the neighborhood so...
Yeah, Will be nice to have 2.7mm -125mm lens. That will be best of both worlds and nice option to have. I also wonder in the past why all the good ptz all start with 5mm minimum as well.

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score

View attachment 166010
If I were to get a SD5 (and chances are I won't), I have a spot 5m higher than where the SD1 is. It would be on the corner of the house where the streets meet. Spotter cams wouldn't do me much good and I'd have to have it patrol. Or I'd need two or more of the same PTZ which definitely isn't happening. lol

Great shot, BTW. Going to put the SD1 in B/W tonight. The colour is good but I'd like to see if I can get more detail in the faces.