Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+

kbgator

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Version 3 is out as a replacement. Probably due to chip issue's.
IPC-HDW5442T-ZE

Its discussed somewhere around here already.
When I added new cameras to existing set of IPC-HDW2231R-ZS, I started using the Dahua IPC-T5442T-ZE. Love them.
Assuming IPC-T5442T-ZE is the latest model? I sold my last home and have no cameras, yet!

Richdem

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Is the T5442TM 3.6mm still a decent low light camera in 2023? I have a couple of T2431T’s but I’ve been looking to upgrade the main camera that watches the vehicles on our drive as there has been a spate of thefts unfortunately lately. My drive is fairly well lit with 100w warm led lamp mounted in the centre between the 2 garage doors (the camera is mounted under the soffit on the left side as you look down the drive from inside the garage) I also have 3 X 100w warm bulbs in a lamp post situated to the left of the camera. I have found a supplier locally in here in Toronto that is selling the following

I’d be interested to see what your thoughts are on this camera or should I stick with the T5442TM?

Richard

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The 3549 model is a 5MP on a sensor designed for 2MP, so a 2MP would kick it's butt at night.

There is currently no 5MP that we recommend as their are none on the ideal MP/sensor combo.

The 5442 would be a MUCH BETTER choice and is still considered the standard and king of cameras.

There is a 4K/X and 4K/T model that are out now that are better, but they need light and do not see infrared. If you have enough light or do not care about using the built-in white LED, they are great cameras, otherwise the 5442 is the way to go.

Richdem

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The 3549 model is a 5MP on a sensor designed for 2MP, so a 2MP would kick it's butt at night.

There is currently no 5MP that we recommend as their are none on the ideal MP/sensor combo.

The 5442 would be a MUCH BETTER choice and is still considered the standard and king of cameras.

There is a 4K/X and 4K/T model that are out now that are better, but they need light and do not see infrared. If you have enough light or do not care about using the built-in white LED, they are great cameras, otherwise the 5442 is the way to go.
Thank you for the quick reply,
That is kinda what my gut was telling me

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I can also get this next day on Amazon, it’s only $40 more than the fixed focal variant. Is there any discernible difference in image quality over the 3.6mm or is it just down to having variable focus?
Some will say a fixed lens can provide a cleaner image, but a lot of us say the advantage of the varifocal negates the image improvement. I have fixed lens and varifocal of the 5442 series and I don't see a difference and certainly not enough to justify not getting the varifocal.

Richdem

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Some will say a fixed lens can provide a cleaner image, but a lot of us say the advantage of the varifocal negates the image improvement. I have fixed lens and varifocal of the 5442 series and I don't see a difference and certainly not enough to justify not getting the varifocal.
Perfect,

Thank you. I’ll be ordering the varifocal shortly

Appreciate the help guys

Richdem

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well I ended up grabbing a 3.6mm as I already had a T2431T 3.6mm in the exact same position and knew what to expect. I managed to get the camera swapped this afternoon before it started to get really cold and I have been blown away. Daytime is fantastic and I very quickly dialed some night settings in as per the suggestions here. I did a quick walk around the drive and it was very good. I might wait until it is a bit warmer to dial the settings in further lol. I will be picking up a varifocal for the opposite corner of my garage.

Attachments

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Isn't the cam to go with the T5442T-ZE?
The 5442-ZE is the still current go to camera as that is a varifocal so you can optically zoom in and get better IDENTIFY at 15-30 feet out and that camera can see infrared.

The 4K/T is a better model IF your identify is within 15 feet or so of the camera and you have enough light or run the built-in white LED. But many people do not have enough light or refuse to run the camera with the white LED on. At that point the 5442 fixed lens would be the better choice as it can see infrared.

kbgator

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The 5442-ZE is the still current go to camera as that is a varifocal so you can optically zoom in and get better IDENTIFY at 15-30 feet out and that camera can see infrared.

The 4K/T is a better model IF your identify is within 15 feet or so of the camera and you have enough light or run the built-in white LED. But many people do not have enough light or refuse to run the camera with the white LED on. At that point the 5442 fixed lens would be the better choice as it can see infrared.
Very helpful, thanks!