Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Something doesnt seem right about those images... I've installed many dozens of the 5442's and have'nt seen anything even close to that bad. Looks like very low bitrate substream images

What bitrate are you running? and what Expsosure and DNR?

Odd how certain plants are blurry and others arent?

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Agreed - that is a low bitrate and maybe some backlighting going on.

I have that with one location where you have a lot of bright contrasting imaging and processing the camera has to do. Most of mine I can run fairly low, but one spot, regardless of camera, has to run a higher bitrate.

Try like 20,000 and then back down until the image blur starts again.

BayAreaDave

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Agree. I prefer CBR on all of my cameras and 8192 is a good rate for a 4MP camera. 2000 is way to low
Thanks for the info. All of my 2mp and 6mp cameras have stayed between 4096 and 5888 with perfectly clear images. I kind of surprised that I'm having to adjust bit rate on this one quite a bit higher to clean the image up. I will give CBR and 8192 a try.

DeadEnd

n3wb
Reaction score
@BayAreaDave
Okay - I think I had the same issue and here is what I found (after LOTS of digging).
For whatever reason, if you set the frame rate and I-frame interval the same (which on the 2mp model I did just fine) the camera has a problem doing the compression correctly.
1613658594287.png

Instead, make sure your I-frame interval is TWICE your frame rate - for me this COMPLETELY FIXED IT.
I had the same buyer's remorse thinking the cameras were bogus (lemons) but this one change cleaned everything up!
1613658651623.png

Give it a try - I hope this fixes it for you!
DeadEnd

BayAreaDave

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@BayAreaDave
Okay - I think I had the same issue and here is what I found (after LOTS of digging).
For whatever reason, if you set the frame rate and I-frame interval the same (which on the 2mp model I did just fine) the camera has a problem doing the compression correctly.
View attachment 82867

Instead, make sure your I-frame interval is TWICE your frame rate - for me this COMPLETELY FIXED IT.
I had the same buyer's remorse thinking the cameras were bogus (lemons) but this one change cleaned everything up!
View attachment 82868

Give it a try - I hope this fixes it for you!
DeadEnd
I jumped the gun on assuming there was something wrong with the camera and edited my original post. I guess I got complacent with camera settings. I set up my other eight cameras two years ago with good images in the initial settings. I applied those settings to this new camera. The image is looking better now after changing to CBR/higher bit rate. I will check out the frame interval next to see if it has any effect. Thanks.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Now a perfectly good camera was sent back and scrapped in all likelihood...

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That's great! I was under the impression from your first post that said you received a replacement that you had sent it back and came here for advice after the replacement exhibited the same behavior. Glad to hear you aren't one of the many that quickly return cameras thinking it is broke (when it was just a wrong setting) and thus increase the costs for the rest of us because vendors have to deal with cameras that they might not be able to resell. Now if there is a problem, yeah go for it.

I am sure you will find an older camera location to replace or add a camera to your system with this great camera!