Review-IP Villa Outdoor Doorbell Station & Indoor Monitor Kit

newfoundlandplucky

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
When you test at work what do you intend to use for a client?

BTW, I found two solutions for ringing the doorbell chime. Dahua VTO API integration by riogrande75 and a less robust program that listens for multicast push notifications from the VTO. Haven't gone through the API version but the second program listens to the wrong multicast address for my VTO … otherwise the idea is sound. Trying this first because the main event loop is only a dozen lines of code. Either should run OK on a Raspberry Pi.

Reaction score
Currently at work. Can still use the gDMSS program on my Android smartphone in work WIFI to connect to the at home doorbell. I do have P2P turned on. Never understood exactly what P2P stood for (other than old Napster days) but have been warned of various security issues with it. I am actually surprised it connects because that entire VLAN subnet is blocked from the internet. Maybe that IS the security issue since bypasses router security :) Might have to turn off the P2P and figure out more firewall ports to allow or something.

Reaction score
Fenderman says somewhere above that the network error happens when VTH monitors the VTO because of SIP username/pass not correct. I'll investigate that later tonite as well.
One word of advice for folks who go this route: get pen/pencil and notepad ready. You will have need for VTO device itself username/password, for the SIP server user/pass, for the VTH/clients user/pass, for the users user/pass, bleh bleh bleh. Gets overwhelming.

Reaction score
The doorbell system can do like this.
VTO can add more VTH, but VTH can't add more VTO. For example, 1 VTO can add 4 VTH, but 1 VTH can't add 2-3 VTO.
Something I did not look up yet. How many VTH's can you add to a single VTO? I do have a 3 bedroom house, garage, kitchen to consider :)

Reaction score
Really like the look of this. Especially after watching this:
Howecer I have two questions Im hoping someone can help with :)

1- anyone got a photo of how dahua cameras look on the indoor monitor? I'd like to use it to permanently display my Dahua NVR cameras unless the outdoor unit sends a call.
2 - is there a slightly larger POE monitor that can be used?

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
1- anyone got a photo of how dahua cameras look on the indoor monitor? I'd like to use it to permanently display my Dahua NVR cameras unless the outdoor unit sends a call. Display on the screen it bit small, as i know it can work with the NVR. Maybe we could ask @looney2ns to help make some testing.
2 - is there a slightly larger POE monitor that can be used? They have larger monitors.

Reaction score
Main Stream vs Sub Stream has been something I have never really went down the hole (yet) to 100% figure out.
As I understand it...when Blue Iris live viewing a camera in a grid, you see the camera substreams. When maximize a single camera or during recording, you see the Main Stream.... correct? (this is according to the IPCT Sub Stream Guide ).
here is the look of my Blue Iris Substream while in grid view and then maximized (yes...still have to tinker with the focus soon):
Untitled.png

Untitled2.png
Untitled3.png

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
1- anyone got a photo of how dahua cameras look on the indoor monitor? I'd like to use it to permanently display my Dahua NVR cameras unless the outdoor unit sends a call. Display on the screen it bit small, as i know it can work with the NVR. Maybe we could ask @looney2ns to help make some testing.
2 - is there a slightly larger POE monitor that can be used? They have larger monitors.
@dingdong555
note that the camera feed times out it's not the camera itself, but it's the monitor that stops to feed after a. Of time. I have not been able to find a setting to change that. The screen itself you can sit to not time out and go dark.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reaction score
@dingdong555
note that the camera feed times out it's not the camera itself, but it's the monitor that stops to feed after a. Of time. I have not been able to find a setting to change that. The screen itself you can sit to not time out and go dark.
Thanks mate. Yep basically I want to use the POE monitor to sit on the wall and show all 8 cameras around my house whilst the door bell is not ringing. Is this possible? Or can you only go into one camera at a time and not display a grid?

@EMPIRETECANDY /Andy - What larger monitor POE can be used?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks mate. Yep basically I want to use the POE monitor to sit on the wall and show all 8 cameras around my house whilst the door bell is not ringing. Is this possible? Or can you only go into one camera at a time and not display a grid?

@EMPIRETECANDY /Andy - What larger monitor POE can be used?
I would think that the monitor feed timing out after 15 or so minutes, would defeat the purpose of what you are looking to do.
Buy a 10" kindle fire or the like.

jmcu

Known around here
Reaction score
Has anyone figured out the message system yet??

If you let the VTO ringer time out when pressing the call button you are able to leave a message at the end by pressing the button to leave a message. ( if it is on in the settings )
It will show up on the VTH as a missed call. I was able to bring the call log up and replay the "missed" call and see the recorded playback message that was left.

But now I can't seem to bring up the playback again. When I goto the missed call log and select the missed call it just brings up the live view? I checked the SD card and it has plenty of room..

int

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi @looney2ns,

a different angle - since you got DHI-VTO2202F-P have you ever checked the power consumption of it!?
Since all are powered - outdoor unit and inside monitor are powered by a POE switch it can be measured in one place incl. the POE switch - I believe.

As a door bell is 'running' 24/7 the power consumption interests me.
I found old style installations with rather high energy needs and I hope that the new IP stuff is at least not worse.

Thank you ,
INT

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Strange I performed the same operation, numerous times, and didn't have that issue. I don't have an answer.

Has anyone figured out the message system yet??

If you let the VTO ringer time out when pressing the call button you are able to leave a message at the end by pressing the button to leave a message. ( if it is on in the settings )
It will show up on the VTH as a missed call. I was able to bring the call log up and replay the "missed" call and see the recorded playback message that was left.

But now I can't seem to bring up the playback again. When I goto the missed call log and select the missed call it just brings up the live view? I checked the SD card and it has plenty of room..