Review: HDMI Over 75 Ohm Coax / HDMI Over Cat 5 / HDMI Splitter

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Since some of this equipment is discussed off and on I figured I'd post some positive first hand experience about the following equipment. I needed to deploy the NVR HDMI video feed directly to several TV's (4 Total - 2 via HDMI, 1 via ethernet, 1 via coax. In this case running third party apps (tinycam pro) was not a desired solution as this was to be a quick simple video input switch over on the tv's with no additional user interaction required. So below are positive first hand endorsements of the equipment used.

HDMI Splitter - Most people go wrong here because they get a passive non powered cheap splitter. In order to pass HDMI single to mult outputs you need to get a Powered Splitter. I went with the OREI HD-104 off Amazon (Free same day with Prime in my area). I've used different HDMI splitters and Matrix Switches before and this thing is built solid and very nice.
Amazon.com: OREI HD-104 1x4 4 Ports HDMI Powered Splitter for Full HD 1080P & 3D Support (One Input To Four Outputs): Home Audio & Theater

HDMI Over 75 Ohm Coax - First time I've used an HDMI over 75 Ohm adapter. However, one of the locations on the lower level had an extra Coax cable so I gave it a shot. It does NOT come with any Male BNC to Female F81 so make sure you pick up BNC to F adapters as well if you don't have any laying around. This adapter is constructed just like your typical HDMI over Ethernet adapter. I'm guessing the Coax run is around 125' - 150' and worked no problem.
Amazon.com: Portta DMI Extender by Single Coaxial (100M)/328ft Compliant with HDMI 1.3 Support 48 KHz LPCM Digital audio for Blu-Ray / Player / Play Station 3: Electronics

HDMI Over Ethernet - Ran this over around 75' - 100' of cat5e with zero problems. A lot of these adapters get mixed reviews, but again a lot of time it is because people are using sub par cable. In this case I was working with preinstalled cat5e and pulling new cat6 was not an option. A lot of these adapters state you must use cat 6 to get X distance but I've never had problems when deploying these over quality cat 5 cable.
J-Tech Digital HDMI Extender By Single Cat 5E/6/7 3D 1080P (NOB) | eBay

HDMI Cable - While these are a dime a dozen anymore some are better then others. While all my HDMI cables used to come from Monoprice I have found myself utilizing Amazon more and more because of Free Prime Shipping and quicker delivery. I've been using these Twisted Veins cables now for a few months. The reinforced braided outter jacket is nice especially when pulling though attics, across roof trusses, and down though walls, it gives a nice added layer of protection & at $15 bucks for 50' with an L adapter included Monoprice can't touch it which is sad because Monoprice is a great company, but they just can't compete with Amazon like they used to.
Amazon.com: Twisted Veins 50’ High Speed HDMI Cable + Right Angle Adapter and Three Micro Velcro Cable Ties (Latest Version Supports Ethernet and Audio Return): Computers & Accessories

Products and TV image utilizing coax cable attached.

Attachments

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
Nice review, thanks for taking the time to do it and share it with us! Will be helpful to many.

dv569656

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Do you leave your bedroom TV on at night as a monitor? Or are any of your TVs just used as monitors 24/7?

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.