Review: EZVIZ DB1C

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What firmware is it using? I had the same problem with 211011 and dropped back to 201106 and solved the problem. But then a few months later it died altogether and I had to replace it. Now running 220802 and no problems.
Good luck.

Reaction score
It's been a few weeks now, and the damned DB1C still loses connectivity at least twice every hour, 24 hours a day. At least three or four e-mail exchanges with EzViz Support, and they are being as ignorant as a pre-historic rock. I finally told them to put up or shut up. Either fix the damned firmware problem, or supply a new unit that works reliably. It's really that simple. One solution or the other, and they can choose. If they continue to play ignorant, I'll badmouth them and plunk them in the same crapper with Reolink, reputation-wise.

I'm just sick of incompetent stupidity.

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
It's been a few weeks now, and the damned DB1C still loses connectivity at least twice every hour, 24 hours a day. At least three or four e-mail exchanges with EzViz Support, and they are being as ignorant as a pre-historic rock. I finally told them to put up or shut up. Either fix the damned firmware problem, or supply a new unit that works reliably. It's really that simple. One solution or the other, and they can choose. If they continue to play ignorant, I'll badmouth them and plunk them in the same crapper with Reolink, reputation-wise.

I'm just sick of incompetent stupidity.
Ill sell you mine once i get the Reolink POE.

Been working great with ZERO issues.

Reaction score
Woke up about 4 am with the likely answer. There's a wifi config parameter called 'airtime fairness'. Years ago, it caused problems with poorly-coded wifi firmware. Yup, its still there and it was enabled. Just disabled it again and rebooted the router mesh. Let's see if that finally resolves the issue.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Woke up about 4 am with the likely answer. There's a wifi config parameter called 'airtime fairness'. Years ago, it caused problems with poorly-coded wifi firmware. Yup, its still there and it was enabled. Just disabled it again and rebooted the router mesh. Let's see if that finally resolves the issue.
Where did you find 'airtime fairness'? AP? BI? DB Config?

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Depends on your router manufacturer. On my Asus routers its under Wireless / Professional, along with the low-level wifi parameters.
So I found it on my EAP660, mine was defaulted to OFF...thanks...

1673961902374.png
1673962138993.png

Reaction score
This appears to have resolved the issue. In the five hours since i turned off 'airtime fairness', there has not been a single connection failure.
FYI, I informed their customer service team, they should be aware of this feature causing connectivity issues. Many routers default this feature to ENABLED.

Last edited:

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This appears to have resolved the issue. In the five hours since i turned off 'airtime fairness', there has not been a single connection failure.
FYI, I informed their customer service team, they should be aware of this feature causing connectivity issues. Many routers default this feature to ENABLED.
Thank you, will add this fix to our 101, assume this would affect the DB1s too...

@VorlonFrog Can I get you to post your fix/discovery in the New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera Thread, thinking this will help others. Thanks...

Last edited:

TheBoz

n3wb
Reaction score
Great review, goes to show you can get pretty far without dropping hundreds on a video doorbell, and avoid a monthly subscription to prevent it from turning into a brick while you're at it!

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Gonna finally throw this thing in the trash. Constant disconnects the last several months when it worked fine for nearly a year before. Gonna try the Amcrest AD410 and see if it works any bettter.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Gonna finally throw this thing in the trash. Constant disconnects the last several months when it worked fine for nearly a year before. Gonna try the Amcrest AD410 and see if it works any bettter.
So I have the ReoLink WiFi Doorbell, don't know much about Amcrest but you may want to check out this DB

Worth the Watch:

If you can get an ethernet cable to your DB, the POE version would be the way to go.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
My DB1C drops out all the time. I've tried many different wifi networks, frequencies, and AP locations. Sometimes it is fine and stable. Sometimes it spends 50% of its time frozen in Blue Iris before the watchdog restarts the stream. I honestly doubt any wifi doorbell would do better.

Luckily the doorbell cam is not very important for me. I have better cameras nearby. It wouldn't even be worth running an ethernet cable up behind the siding at this point for a PoE video doorbell.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My DB1C drops out all the time. I've tried many different wifi networks, frequencies, and AP locations. Sometimes it is fine and stable. Sometimes it spends 50% of its time frozen in Blue Iris before the watchdog restarts the stream. I honestly doubt any wifi doorbell would do better.

Luckily the doorbell cam is not very important for me. I have better cameras nearby. It wouldn't even be worth running an ethernet cable up behind the siding at this point for a PoE video doorbell.
I hear ya, in truth no one even presses the doorbell button anymore...I guess the Smart Doorbells are popular because of their convenience of getting notices via an App without having to have a full BI or NVR setup. For us who do, we could do the same with any of our CAMs, maybe not two way audio, but get alerts. I have mine setup through Home Assistant with an automation to send a snapshot of who ever pressed the button or motion setoff the alert in BI, which again I could do minus the doorbell button press. Well I could have a relay capture the button press and send it through a Sage Z-Wave Doorbell sensor. But again Convenience with a SmartDB.

Presently I am running the WiFi version, I have had no dropped signals using RTMP in BI. Though I was one of the lucky ones with my LaView DB1 variant, WiFi worked. Maybe it is my Enterprise Access Points I used. I know 2.4 worked much better than 5.0, my AP is only about 20 feet from the DB.

I know it has to be a pain with all the dropouts. This is why when ReoLink came out with their POE version, that issue is solved for many...just getting a cable ran presents a new issue. I still need to get mine ran.

loopy123

n3wb
Reaction score
I have had two of the DB1C and I find it to be great using BlueIris (first one died during a bad firmware update - manufacturer eventually replaced it). BI camera status page shows only 7 no signal errors over last 5 days (some of which are power outage related).
My router/wifi-AP is fairly close with a -45dBm signal on 2.4GHz, so maybe that is why my experience is different. You could try using a different SSID for your 2.4GHz and 5GHz and test DB on 2.4 to see if that helps.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

@bp2008
So this is BI footage my ReoLink WiFi Doorbell about 30 feet away:
1682902031942.png
1682902099192.png

Here is 3 Days of Logs (I am still resetting/testing a lot) No Signal Loss...I have not had One Signal Loss on the WiFi Reolink since I switched to RTMP a few months ago. On my POE Version I am running RTSP...

1682902525237.png

Last edited: