Review: Dahua SD5A425XA-HNR 4MP 25x Starlight IR PTZ

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I don’t have that model but I do have a few others including a 6 series that works very well.

First thing I would recommend is NOT using h.265 or VBR. In my experience it can cause all sorts of issues and is not very effective.

I use h.264h, CBR, 10240

Last edited:

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
20,000 is very high on the bit rate even for 4mp. Probably 10-14K would do unless there's a lot of moving objects in the picture eg a lot of bushes trees with moving leaves.

danieln

n3wb
Reaction score
First thing I would recommend is NOT using h.265 or VBR. In my experience it can cause all sorts of issues and is not very effective.
I use h.264h, CBR, 10240
Ahh ok, interesting.. What sort of problems have you experienced? I've used it successfully on my 5442's for quite some time without noticing anything.
20,000 is very high on the bit rate even for 4mp. Probably 10-14K would do unless there's a lot of moving objects in the picture eg a lot of bushes trees with moving leaves.
For the most part, the PTZ sits at 3xxx kbps until vehicles drive past.. Originally i had VBR set to 16xxx, but was still experiencing some pixilation when it was tracking a vehicle.
On your problem returning to preset, try using a time task, thats what i use. Set at say 60 or 120 sec and it tells the camera to return to preset X
Oh, good idea.. I've just changed it to that now. Because "Idle motion" setting, only becomes effective if I manually move the PTZ away from a preset using the arrows.

On the rebooting note, the HiPOE Power injector helped significantly, It used to happen 4-8 times a day, usually in the evening when IR was on, suggesting it was power related, and it appears it is always happens when it is triggered by a ivs rule. It never happens when the scene is still.
Now it appears to only do it once every 2 days, again, only whilst tracking a vehicle / person, and also happens in daylight without IR. So I don't think these reboots are Power related.
I wonder if I change it to CBR/ 10240 as suggested to see if that problem goes away.

1653608229996.png
Ignore the Auburn, that is just a Preset name.

danieln

n3wb
Reaction score
On your problem returning to preset, try using a time task, thats what i use. Set at say 60 or 120 sec and it tells the camera to return to preset X
Oh, immediately this solved the issue I have. irrelevant of what moved the PTZ. Question is though, being a Time Task, does it count to X seconds, then repeat continually? or does the counter reset and begin after a motion/ivs/tracking event. Ie, what happens if it is in the middle of tracking an object, and the timer reached 120 secs (if configured at that).

I'm assuming it is just a constant counting loop, and will do the action

Wiz_ard

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ahh ok, interesting.. What sort of problems have you experienced? I've used it successfully on my 5442's for quite some time without noticing anything.

For the most part, the PTZ sits at 3xxx kbps until vehicles drive past.. Originally i had VBR set to 16xxx, but was still experiencing some pixilation when it was tracking a vehicle.

Oh, good idea.. I've just changed it to that now. Because "Idle motion" setting, only becomes effective if I manually move the PTZ away from a preset using the arrows.

On the rebooting note, the HiPOE Power injector helped significantly, It used to happen 4-8 times a day, usually in the evening when IR was on, suggesting it was power related, and it appears it is always happens when it is triggered by a ivs rule. It never happens when the scene is still.
Now it appears to only do it once every 2 days, again, only whilst tracking a vehicle / person, and also happens in daylight without IR. So I don't think these reboots are Power related.
I wonder if I change it to CBR/ 10240 as suggested to see if that problem goes away.

View attachment 129137
Ignore the Auburn, that is just a Preset name.
You may need to update the control firmware on the PTZ, dealt with this with a couple clients -PTZ would move to a certain position and reboot (only happened when tracking)

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
It starts counting when the ptz is called away from Home for any reason by any input. It will force the return regardless of what’s going on.

danieln

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi looney.. I learnt early not to make changes with NVR web interface and Smartpss, but rather from the camera's web interface directly. Even spun up a windows 7 / ie11 virtual machine to i could experience the webplugin in full force :)

As a small update to my previous post, I've reloaded the V2.812.0000012.0.R.P9.2519.UN.NR, Build Date: 2021-09-04 firmware back on again, and i'm unable to reproduce the custom bitrate setting from defaulting on reboot now.. So that is a positive. I can also confirm ptz movement is controllable from DMSS mobile app again.
Interesting.. Just as i was reviewing my PTZ firmware version, I've noted that the V2.812 update DID NOT TAKE??!?
Device Type SD5A425XA-HNR
System Version V2.810.10O8000.0.R.P9.2519.UN.NR, Build Date: 2021-09-24
WEB Version V3.2.1.1082385
ONVIF Version 20.06(V2.9.0.979397)
PTZ Version V2.401.0000001.11.RHNAN_210903_39102
S/N 7
Security Baseline Version V2.1
Copyright 2021, all rights reserved.

Or i reloaded 2.810 again... <facepalm>

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I need it to look in one direction, then turn 180 degrees to look in other direction. Etc. Then to lock on with Auto tracking as needed.
What's the best solution for this SD5A425XA-HNR?

Andy

David Morcos

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So where can I buy this camera from? A newer version will also work. Just looking for PTZ, 4MP 1/1.8 camera. Auto tracking is not at all important to me.

PM84

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello Guys,

i have Problems with the Auto Tracking (Human) with the "D-SD5A432XA-HNR"
In most Cases it loses the Track after 4-8sec .
Got that Problem on 2 different Installation Locations.
On both Installations i use a TimePlan for running a Tour to different Presets in Combination with PTZ Linkage from static 3441 Models to start Smart Tracking.
First i thought it could be the TimePlan that interrupts the Tracking because the Tracking is not prioritized over the Tour but the Problem exists if i disable the Tour.(the Idle Motion->Tour isnt working like @danieln already mentioned, otherwise i would use that instead of TimePlan)
I'm using Intrusion Boxes on the static Cams as well as for the PTZ to Trigger Auto Tracking.(already tried Tripwires on the static Cams to eliminate the Problem of triggering the PTZ again while it was already tracking)
For now i'm focusing on one of the Installations, which has the cleaner FOV (less Objectives in the Picture)
If anyone of the more experienced Guys can take a Look at it i would really appreaciate it. (dyndns rdy)

greets

Screenshot 2022-06-20 193930.png

• Version
Device TypeDH-SD5A432XA-HNR
System VersionV2.812.0000012.0.R.P9.3216.UN.NR, Build Date: 2021-09-04
WEB VersionV3.2.1.1114120
ONVIF Version20.06(V2.9.0.979397)
PTZ VersionV2.401.0000000.64.RHNAN_200219_34642
S/N6M0063FPAJ85393
Security Baseline VersionV2.2

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do you have an SD card in the camera that you can playback with the IVS rules on to see what it is trying to track and loses tracking?

Are your boxes closer to the center of the field of view? Anytime the camera needs to start panning left/right or up/down to start the track, it introduces the potential for it to try tracking something else that met the "object signature"

Are you off auto/default settings? In many cases bumping contrast up 10 points over brightness can fix some of this.

Sometimes glass/windows can create issues for tracking.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Just some notes:

Any command / event detected by a fixed camera acting as a spotter, will override any tracking in progress.

Also, I use a time task to force the ptz to return to its home view.

A video sample would be helpful

Futaba

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Also, I use a time task to force the ptz to return to its home view.
BTW, how different is using time task to return home vs. PTZ idle action to return to home preset? I assume the function the same or there are situations that are better with time task?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Ive never got the idle action to work reliably so I set a time task that says anytime the ptz is called away, return to home in 180 seconds.