Review - Dahua SD49225XA-HNR 2MP 25x Starlight + IR PTZ AI Camera with Deep IVS & SMD Plus

FlipNJ

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks all...I'll keep playing with it. I am currently using 3 spotter cams which seem to work great. Now i'll start messing with tracking size at each preset.
Takes soooo much time to find the sweet spot. You will find that there will be so many little things you want to control but can't. I also experience the loss of track when a target stops however I find it is a double edged sword. There may be times when another target is at the home position and if the cam was lollygagging in a different position, you will miss it. For me, spotter setup is also very time consuming and little things cause issues. Things like when it is dark out, a car's headlights will cast a beam in an area where a spotter triggers the ptz but it is only the beam of light there so now, the ptz is looking at nothing interesting. Still fun to mess with different things.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Takes soooo much time to find the sweet spot. You will find that there will be so many little things you want to control but can't. I also experience the loss of track when a target stops however I find it is a double edged sword. There may be times when another target is at the home position and if the cam was lollygagging in a different position, you will miss it. For me, spotter setup is also very time consuming and little things cause issues. Things like when it is dark out, a car's headlights will cast a beam in an area where a spotter triggers the ptz but it is only the beam of light there so now, the ptz is looking at nothing interesting. Still fun to mess with different things.
A lot of that can be knocked out if you are using cameras with AI in it or use DeepStack with BI to only trigger the PTZ for items of interest. Mine rarely trigger for a false.

Last edited:

FlipNJ

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
A lot of that can be knocked out if you are using cameras with AI in it or use DeepStack with BI to only trigger the PTZ for items of interest. Mine rarely trigger for a false.
Deepstack is greek to me. I really have to sit down and read through what it is all about.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Deepstack is greek to me. I really have to sit down and read through what it is all about.
Now that it is integrated with BI, a lot of the greek about it previously is gone LOL. No need for Docker and a bunch of other stuff.

Simply download DeepStack. Run the executable, and tell BI to use DeepStack and then go into the particular cameras and tell it to use DeepStack and to trigger on car or person or toilet or any of the other parameters available to trigger on.

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Now that it is integrated with BI, a lot of the greek about it previously is gone LOL. No need for Docker and a bunch of other stuff.

Simply download DeepStack. Run the executable, and tell BI to use DeepStack and then go into the particular cameras and tell it to use DeepStack and to trigger on car or person or toilet or any of the other parameters available to trigger on.
Toilet! Perfect! Now I can catch those serial shitters!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Raikkok

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
hello guys
Nowadays is still a good buy-option?

I want to change my huisiun ptz.. probably a stone would be his best final... XD

is this dahua completely compatible with BlueIris + Deepstack?

Thanks guys!

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
hello guys
Nowadays is still a good buy-option?

I want to change my huisiun ptz.. probably a stone would be his best final... XD

is this dahua completely compatible with BlueIris + Deepstack?

Thanks guys!
I have the newer 5 series and would say the auto tracking is better on the SD49225xa by far.

The auto tracking feature was removed from this camera soon after its release but I can send you this firmware FOC if you want it so you can buy this camera from anywhere you want.

Blue Iris is well worth it's asking price along with all its features.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Most will not find this camera cheaper than what Andy sells it for though (although in some parts of the world it might be different)....we have seen many people here purchase it for more than Andy sells it for and then you give them the firmware...why not just pay less and get it with Autotracking native than without and having to trust some random internet dude that the firmware isn't bogus...

Last edited:

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
I have zero interest in selling CCTV or firmware and only interested in my own personnel cameras.

I like to help other members here when I can. Members have the option to purchase Grey Market or from a Genuine Dahua authorised dealer. The firmware I give members FOC is the excact same firmware Andy enables on the SD49225xa.

The firmware I have is indeed direct from Dahua and Not from some random Internet dude.

The option is up to the buyer where he buys from and either will have a good ptz with excellent features and auto tracking enabled.

Congratulations to Tyson Fury tonight he whipped Wilders ass.

Last edited:

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
I’ve been testing a couple of new firmwares over the past week or 2 including a new 21-09-04 for the 5A425 and another for the 49225 (factory AT version tweaked at 21-08-02). Dahua is considering potentially separating these Prometheus FW's into different releases due to a) some of the changes we've discussed here before such as factory AT vs separate FW branch enabled AT plus b) functions for 5A425 that need more focus than 49225 etc. Both of these load well with just 1 note to point out that 1 of a couple of the 5A425's took a couple of loads and a restart to get it to take but other than that was good. The webplugin was updated with these releases for all Prometheus cams which means new plugin required for 49225 + 5A425 if you have both deployed.

The overall FW is a stable update. Still issues seen however with
  • Video metadata handling for plates etc at times is still not great + the obscuring locally (using cropping) is still present which as you know I am NOT a fan of
  • Local playback menu does not give the option for event type filtering which is something I reported (actually both of these) a few months ago
I’ve ensured feedback and bugs filed for these based on these new codebases as well.

icpilot

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I’ve been testing a couple of new firmwares over the past week or 2 including a new 21-09-04 for the 5A425 and another for the 49225 (factory AT version tweaked at 21-08-02). Dahua is considering potentially separating these Prometheus FW's into different releases due to a) some of the changes we've discussed here before such as factory AT vs separate FW branch enabled AT plus b) functions for 5A425 that need more focus than 49225 etc. Both of these load well with just 1 note to point out that 1 of a couple of the 5A425's took a couple of loads and a restart to get it to take but other than that was good. The webplugin was updated with these releases for all Prometheus cams which means new plugin required for 49225 + 5A425 if you have both deployed.

The overall FW is a stable update. Still issues seen however with
  • Video metadata handling for plates etc at times is still not great + the obscuring locally (using cropping) is still present which as you know I am NOT a fan of
  • Local playback menu does not give the option for event type filtering which is something I reported (actually both of these) a few months ago
I’ve ensured feedback and bugs filed for these based on these new codebases as well.
This topic started as a review of the SD49225XA-HNR and brought to light many aspects and issues. The one thing which has become pretty confusing to me (at least) is which firmware is the very latest AND also supports Auto-Tracking.

As you continue testing these FWs for Dahua, can you please be sure to indicate which, if any of the latest ones, continue to support AT?

Really appreciate all you do in testing these cameras and providing support for this community. Thanks.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
I
This topic started as a review of the SD49225XA-HNR and brought to light many aspects and issues. The one thing which has become pretty confusing to me (at least) is which firmware is the very latest AND also supports Auto-Tracking.

As you continue testing these FWs for Dahua, can you please be sure to indicate which, if any of the latest ones, continue to support AT?

Really appreciate all you do in testing these cameras and providing support for this community. Thanks.
Thanks for the kind words

Yes to recap there are the original batches of 49225's that shipped from factory with Auto Tracking enabled. Dahua then decided to remove Auto Tracking as a feature. Due to distributor / integrator push back this was later re-enabled in a specific branch (separate) of FW. Its important to note however that this specific branch of FW does NOT mirror the main branch therefore some features may be lacking and its generally not updated as often. The 21-08-02 FW I list here that I'm testing is for the original batches of factory enabled AT 49225's. For clarity, ANY 49225's purchased today will be the non-factory Auto Tracking models. For those models your distributor such as @EMPIRETECANDY or others depending on who you purchase through should have 'special branch' FW available to share with you. This has also been shared on this board by others as well. I did recommend strongly to Dahua that they look at converging the 49225 FW branches (factory and non factory AT) but have not seen this to date. The fact they are now considering separating the Prometheus FW for 49225 vs 5A425 could allow for this convergence I mentioned but we'll have to wait and see.

HTH clarify. Also to date, this is the only newer cam (last few years) that has had a feature like this disabled after release. 5A425 came with it enabled from factory and other newer PTZ's also still have enabled.

If you need any further assistance just DM me, happy to help

GerwinK

n3wb
Reaction score
I have zero interest in selling CCTV or firmware and only interested in my own personnel cameras.

I like to help other members here when I can. Members have the option to purchase Grey Market or from a Genuine Dahua authorised dealer. The firmware I give members FOC is the excact same firmware Andy enables on the SD49225xa.

The firmware I have is indeed direct from Dahua and Not from some random Internet dude.

The option is up to the buyer where he buys from and either will have a good ptz with excellent features and auto tracking enabled.

Congratulations to Tyson Fury tonight he whipped Wilders ass.
Hello LJW2K,

Question: is the FW "General_DSS-Professional_Win64_IS_V8.000.0000003.0.R.20210729" still the latest version for the DH-SD49225XA-HNR?
I've got a new DH-SD49225XA-HNR-S2 and the AutoTrack is not available, but with the above mentioned FW should the AutoTrack work. Should the FW installation be done just like a regular FW update?

Last edited:

Ryushin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Andy, so your saying the SD49(2|4)25XA-HNR are being replaced with the S2 model and once the current stock is sold out, that will be the end of auto tracking in this model with the custom firmware? If so, I'm glad I got mine.

Can you ask the Dahua Engineer's if it is possible to expose some of the AI auto tracking settings. I'd like to increase the linger timeout before giving up on the movement to look at something else.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Andy, so your saying the SD49(2|4)25XA-HNR are being replaced with the S2 model and once the current stock is sold out, that will be the end of auto tracking in this model with the custom firmware? If so, I'm glad I got mine.

Can you ask the Dahua Engineer's if it is possible to expose some of the AI auto tracking settings. I'd like to increase the linger timeout before giving up on the movement to look at something else.
Right now no good chance, i asked them for this before ,they said official specification not support AT, and more Smart functions on the latest new fw just without AT anymore.
You know the factory is greedy, they want to sell more higher version PTZ with double price. But not everyone can pay for.

Ryushin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Right now no good chance, i asked them for this before ,they said official specification not support AT, and more Smart functions on the latest new fw just without AT anymore.
You know the factory is greedy, they want to sell more higher version PTZ with double price. But not everyone can pay for.
I guess for the home enthusiast, Dahua is pricing themselves out of the market then. Shame. AT should be a standard feature on all PTZ cameras. A lot of the cheaper HK compatible knockoffs have human AT already. The Dahua SD49(2|4)25XA-HNR is already twice the price of the HK knockoffs and I can't even think about four times the price or even higher than that.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Those cheaper ptz can't do 25x optical zoom, i know hikvision well too, at 25x zoom, hikvision not have this range or price. Actually this model is the king model on the market.
That is the product design, small PT camera's pan/tilt Zoom speed also very limited. The currently ptz AT has big improvement compare to the old 2.0 ptz.