Review - Dahua IPC-HFW7442H-Z 4MP Ultra AI Varifocal Bullet Camera

dex90

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey again @Wildcat_1!
I finally got my 3 cameras (thank you Andy!), including the 7442h and I started my tests. Everything went amazing so far but I am a bit stuck right now with the AI portion of it. I set up Video Structuralization only and I got the vehicle, people and non-motor vehicle counters going and firing. I am using a trial version of Blue Iris and I don’t have NVR yet. My question is: where are the images of license plates, their recognitions, face screencaptures saved? I didn’t put SD card in the cameras, I expected to find these images either on BI or in some small storage onboard the camera itself. Is using NVR or SD card the only way to save these images and link them with reports? Thanks.

storage.png
This might be it:) I think I'll look for an SD card to avoid setting up FTP. I assume this will all be nonissue once I get NVR. Will all be stored locally on NVR even if the AI logic happened on the camera and not on the NVR?

Last edited:

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
If you are not using an NVR or BI with Ppate Recognizer then your ‘tagged’ AI clips are not being stored. Therefore an SD card while you decide which way to go (NVR or BI etc) is the way to go as it will at least tag Car Detect clips which will give you the vehicle metadata and plate info.

If you do go the NVR route then as I showed in my 5216 review you can pull individual clips or even an XLS (CSV actually) file that includes embedded cap images with it. You can also then setup your database of black and white listed vehicles for triggers and alarms.

HTH. Reach out directly with any questions

Hey again @Wildcat_1!
I finally got my 3 cameras (thank you Andy!), including the 7442h and I started my tests. Everything went amazing so far but I am a bit stuck right now with the AI portion of it. I set up Video Structuralization only and I got the vehicle, people and non-motor vehicle counters going and firing. I am using a trial version of Blue Iris and I don’t have NVR yet. My question is: where are the images of license plates, their recognitions, face screencaptures saved? I didn’t put SD card in the cameras, I expected to find these images either on BI or in some small storage onboard the camera itself. Is using NVR or SD card the only way to save these images and link them with reports? Thanks.

View attachment 69470
This might be it:) I think I'll look for an SD card to avoid setting up FTP. I assume this will all be nonissue once I get NVR. Will all be stored locally on NVR even if the AI logic happened on the camera and not on the NVR?

dex90

n3wb
Reaction score
If you are not using an NVR or BI with Ppate Recognizer then your ‘tagged’ AI clips are not being stored. Therefore an SD card while you decide which way to go (NVR or BI etc) is the way to go as it will at least tag Car Detect clips which will give you the vehicle metadata and plate info.

If you do go the NVR route then as I showed in my 5216 review you can pull individual clips or even an XLS (CSV actually) file that includes embedded cap images with it. You can also then setup your database of black and white listed vehicles for triggers and alarms.

HTH. Reach out directly with any questions
Thank you again. I decided I will go with NVR even before I started using blue iris which I find a bit awkward at times. Like: I still have not found how to turn ON/OFF IR via blue iris interface. For now, I am eyeballing 5216-16P-I but I wish for more HDD space, more onboard AI resources and channels. A big issue I need to solve as well is how to communicate an alarm signal that comes to NVR and send it along to my house alarm central and I also need to handle different alarms differently. Some camera alarms need to set of the siren, some only send me SMS or a call… What are people on ipcamtalk using to connect the 2? There must be some third party module that can be hooked to NVR and programmed to interact with specific alarm central.

Here is a snap from a recording I made manually, I only left a dash and 1 letter/number but it is enough to see how well it works. I noticed in this case that it did not count the vehicle correctly, it didn’t count it at all. Would be pretty strange if the ANPR worked but the car number was not incremented.
lp.png
I didn't find turning off 3DNR doing anythign for me at this distance and angle. I used shutter 1/500, same as you, and then the »Exposure Comp« slider all the way to the left. Not sure what that slider does, I expected it will all be regulated by the shutter speed.

A bit off topic but I wanted to mention that I use Chromium and it seems that it works OK to manage cameras. I also installed Blue Moon on a VM. I used VM because Blue Moon triggered AV for some adware that it got bundled inside. Fun fact: IE plugin that Dahua needs to run in IE was also flagged for 2 different potentially malicious threats.

Edit: My bad, complete overlay in live view only worked in IE with the extension. Are overlay boxes and tripwires being passed on to blue iris or NVR?

Last edited:

clueless

n3wb
Reaction score
Dahua IPC-HFW7442H-Z

Hi all, I am considering purchasing a camera with ANPR night time capabilities. The distance coverage would be approximately 30 meters and the camera will be mounted at 2 meters height under the eaves.

Should I make the leap Or should I wait it out, just in case there may be a release of something special like - ANPR with night colour capabilities :banghead: , does that make any sense?
At present I have the Dahua Mini Black Face SD29204T-GN which is performing superbly in seeing number plates at daytime.

One more thing, I have a standard Dahua NVR, so would the IPC-HFW7442H-Z see the number plates without the additional software mentioned in some of the posts?

My current NVR has four channels, all are used up, so should I consider SD card with something like blue Iris – I am after a set-up and forgetting until there is a need to review some footage for say, investigative purposes.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
You’re getting good plate captures at 90 ft with an 11mm lens?

And understand “night color” assumes you have a ton of white light directed at the plate. The camera still needs light to see in color, a lot of it.

clueless

n3wb
Reaction score

And understand “night color” assumes you have a ton of white light directed at the plate. The camera still needs light to see in color, a lot of it.
only during day time though, I need to trim the hedge for a better clearance.

Attachments

clueless

n3wb
Reaction score

just to clarify, 90ft is a bit of a stretch - I would say the distance is more like 60-70ft

Stormy

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello friends !
Does anyone know how I can reset to factory condition ?
I heve bought a used camera , but iI dont know the password ! I cannot find a reset button.
Thx

Attachments

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Hello friends !
Does anyone know how I can reset to factory condition ?
I heve bought a used camera , but iI dont know the password ! I cannot find a reset button.
Thx
Does your camera have a spot for a SIMM card? Quite often the reset button is next to where the SIMM card would go.

Edit, I believe you are in the wrong section of the camera. Look for an access panel on the camera itself with 2 screws holding it in place. Remove the cover and see if there is a reset button on the PC board.

Last edited:

Stormy

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello again !
Whats does mean :

Please flash the baseline firmware "DH_IPC-HX8XXX-Nobel_MultiLang_NP_V2.800.0000000.5.R.200525.bin" first.

Flash the algorithm firmware "firmware.bin" second.
What is the content of this files ? Why there 2 parts ?
Is this in connection with ANPR ?
How can support or explain me .
Many THX

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Yes, there has 2 files, contact me for the firmwawre.bin by sending a PM.
If you just update the 200525 bin, will shows a triangle on the camera.
So need to upgrade the algorithm firmware "firmware.bin" to make it working out.

Stormy

n3wb
Reaction score
So my friends !
There is a new question:
Which camera mount is the right one ?
DH-PFA136