Review-Dahua IPC-HDBW4231F-E2-M Dual Starlight Cam

Mr_D

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Would that make the “boobies” two different sizes?

One thing this camera has going for it is the odd appearance that might cause people to look directly at it, increasing your odds of facial recognition!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Hey, it happens! They'd be aimed in different directions too. I just did some testing and I might not even be able to use such a camera since the wide angle lens would need to be aimed at the porch lamp to see people standing at the front door. I think having a camera on either side of the door - one wide and one long to cover the approach- might work better.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@looney2ns @Arjun suspect this maybe worth testing on an NVR

On my Dahua OEM NVR5216 the OSD interface has a "remote channel number" field

under the options:
camera > manual add
@mat200 @EMPIRETECANDY @Arjun

It worked! I looked at that a dozen times yesterday, but it didn't' click in my head. :facepalm: :banghead::brainfart:
Actually, I deleted it and manual added it again, and didn't have to choose channel 2, when I clicked ok, both came up!

Sweet, thanks Mat!
20180525_160358_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
I feel like there are probably very specific use cases for this product.

My front runners are:
  1. Front door approach plus package cam with higher WAF than 2 cameras
  2. Center mounted hallway cam with decent ID in two directions
  3. I have a garage entry door and front door where 2 cameras angled exactly 90 degrees would be perfect
  4. A corner cam outside like @looney2ns kind of has, with one camera covering a front patio and the 2nd covering a side yard. Assuming your corner is square, (2) - 2.8mm would give you 220 degree? (plus the building would block 90 degrees) so 310 degrees of coverage from a single camera?

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I feel like there are probably very specific use cases for this product.

My front runners are:
  1. Front door approach plus package cam with higher WAF than 2 cameras
  2. Center mounted hallway cam with decent ID in two directions
  3. I have a garage entry door and front door where 2 cameras angled exactly 90 degrees would be perfect
  4. A corner cam outside like @looney2ns kind of has, with one camera covering a front patio and the 2nd covering a side yard. Assuming your corner is square, (2) - 2.8mm would give you 220 degree? (plus the building would block 90 degrees) so 310 degrees of coverage from a single camera?
Also, "L" corner for the intersection of 2 hallways.

Should be very useful for those situations where someone only installed ONE cat6/5e cable and discovered that they need 2 FOVs. ( I do think the front door would be a very popular installation option )

BTW - thanks @looney2ns for the review!

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Thank you @mat200 ! Solution worked perfectly. It worked best when not connected to the NVR and connected to separate PoE Switch. I generally only use the ports on the NVR for testing out the cameras prior to official deployment.

@looney2ns I'm able to view both channels in SmartPSS now

Cheers! :)

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score

zebrock

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just to confirm, does it show up as 2 separate cams in BI or only the NVR?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Andy when you going to have this in stock?

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Nice to know it is working fine. I think it ultimately looks like a cleaner installation than this:

I have the DH-IPC-HDW4231EMP-ASE (3.6 mm Lens) on the right in corridor mode to also catch packages, and the 5231 on the left zoomed all the way in to catch approaches on the front sidewalk.

Given my use case, the boobie cam would not have been ideal.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a similar setup like yours for one side of where I currently have this system installed. I still think two separate cameras in their own respective bodies is better than one. If one camera fails for unforeseen reasons, the other one can still be of an assistance. Whereas, in a single-bodied two-camera model, if an internal component fails, there's greater chance of the the whole unit failing altogether.
I actually intend to use this dual Starlight camera for indoor purposes; although still want to conduct one test outside. I generally don't favor domes for outdoor uses for obvious reasons (weather, IR glare, etc).

Although, overall I still like this dual camera as it can serve two purposes in one.

Nice to know it is working fine. I think it ultimately looks like a cleaner installation than this:

I have the DH-IPC-HDW4231EMP-ASE (3.6 mm Lens) on the right in corridor mode to also catch packages, and the 5231 on the left zoomed all the way in to catch approaches on the front sidewalk.

Given my use case, the boobie cam would not have been ideal.

Last edited:

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
@giomania off-topic, but did you find it more beneficial in terms of positioning your DH-IPC-HDW4231EMP-ASE that way (IR beneath the lens)? :)

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@giomania off-topic, but did you find it more beneficial in terms of positioning your DH-IPC-HDW4231EMP-ASE that way (IR beneath the lens)? :)
We’ll see tonight if I remember to check it because I just installed them this morning and I just flipped the camera 90° and see which way I had turn the camera to get it upright so if it’s a problem with the IR on the bottom—which I don’t think it will because the camera is kind of pointed down—I can always flip it up

however that it would be closer to that lantern hang in there it might reflect off that

we’ll see

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, the last you'll want is IR reflection :lol:

We’ll see tonight if I remember to check it because I just installed them this morning and I just flipped the camera 90° and see which way I had turn the camera to get it upright so if it’s a problem with the IR on the bottom—which I don’t think it will because the camera is kind of pointed down—I can always flip it up

however that it would be closer to that lantern hang in there it might reflect off that

we’ll see