Review-Dahua IPC-HDBW4231F-E2-M Dual Starlight Cam

Reaction score
I have had this camera running for some time now. And now everday I loose connection and have to power down and re-power the cameras.
Is this cam inside or outside? If outside, did you weatherproof the connection? In general, wired cams that become intermittent is due to a bad connection.

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have had this camera running for some time now. And now everday I loose connection and have to power down and re-power the cameras.
Anyone else have this issue?

Are there logs I can check to see what the problem is?
Actually having a very similar issue of the camera losing connection every few minutes and last time I checked I could not connect anymore. Camera was installed November 2019. This camera is installed at my mom's house so have not been able to rule out physical issue yet. All other cams working fine except this one. Will post what I find. Hopefully can check this out this weekend.

Reaction score
Camera is outside, but not in direct rain.
I bought the weatherproof box with the camera.

maybe I can recrimp the ethernet cable???

Reaction score
maybe I can recrimp the ethernet cable???
Connections outdoors, even if not in direct rain contact, can, over time, become corroded due to just changes in temperature/humidity. Really the best way to combat that is to use the supplied watertight connector and dielectric grease. The grease isolates the metals from oxygen and water. Others will tell you to also wrap the connection in rubber tape.

Hopefully you left enough slack to be able to cut the old RJ45 off and install a new one.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Condensation will occur in any connector/camera that is not in an environmentally controlled environment. Use the supplied connector to cover the RJ. The RJ45 should get a small, tiny, dab of dielectric grease, wrapped with coax seal and then be wrapped with good quality electrical tape like 3M 33+ or 88. Then put it in the junction box or tuck it up into a soffit.

Last edited:

Billyjack5

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Anyone on this post use the camera uncovered in direct sunlight? While not preferable I know I'm just curious if anyone has this set up and the camera has performed fine given its already higher running temperature. I've got two spots where the camera could go, but the spot it would work best is in the front of my house that will receive direct southern Nevada afternoon sunlight. I have three other Dahua cams that endure this sunlight just fine in the summer but they don't run as hot on the bench as this one does.

Last edited:

ajwitt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have two of these cameras and one has been sitting in the direct sunlight has not had any issues. I have to periodically wipe the dome down, but have to with a bullet camera that is exposed as well. The camera is almost useless during rain events because of the dome being exposed and uncovered, so if you could have it under an eave or have another camera that provides coverage over that area, you will be fine.

Billyjack5

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have two of these cameras and one has been sitting in the direct sunlight has not had any issues. I have to periodically wipe the dome down, but have to with a bullet camera that is exposed as well. The camera is almost useless during rain events because of the dome being exposed and uncovered, so if you could have it under an eave or have another camera that provides coverage over that area, you will be fine.
Appreciate the response. Very helpful. Very impressed with this camera thus far.

abolition

n3wb
Reaction score
Dear all, I was considering this camera as I need to cover two points inside of my house, and have a single ethernet cable placed. I had some questions that hopefully can be answered by the people here owning one:
1 - I read that the camera runs hot, the idea is to have it hanging off a fake ceiling (plaster), or on a fake wall (plaster), will the heat damage the wall/ceiling, the house is painted in "artic" white. Temps inside are usually 19-22C in winter and 23-25C in summer.
2 - I read that there are two lenses 2.8 and 3.6mm, I know it depends on multiple parameters to choose the right lens, I was wondering what would be best choice for my setup.
3 - How flexible are the lenses, do they rotate 360 degrees? depending if I put them on the ceiling, or on the wall they will need to be pointing in different orientation.
4 - Since this camera is already 3y old, do you expect a new model coming out any time soon?
5 - Any reason to stay away from it, or is this a camera you would recommend?
6 - Dome cameras are normally not recommended due to reflections etc, what is your take in this one? can the plastic dome cover be removed? Is it required?

Thanks!

My setup, marked in red the areas that I am interested in monitoring.

1610452425347.png

Marc Finns

n3wb
Reaction score
Dear all, I was considering this camera as I need to cover two points inside of my house, and have a single ethernet cable placed. I had some questions that hopefully can be answered by the people here owning one:
1 - I read that the camera runs hot, the idea is to have it hanging off a fake ceiling (plaster), or on a fake wall (plaster), will the heat damage the wall/ceiling, the house is painted in "artic" white. Temps inside are usually 19-22C in winter and 23-25C in summer.
2 - I read that there are two lenses 2.8 and 3.6mm, I know it depends on multiple parameters to choose the right lens, I was wondering what would be best choice for my setup.
3 - How flexible are the lenses, do they rotate 360 degrees? depending if I put them on the ceiling, or on the wall they will need to be pointing in different orientation.
4 - Since this camera is already 3y old, do you expect a new model coming out any time soon?
5 - Any reason to stay away from it, or is this a camera you would recommend?
6 - Dome cameras are normally not recommended due to reflections etc, what is your take in this one? can the plastic dome cover be removed? Is it required?

Thanks!

My setup, marked in red the areas that I am interested in monitoring.

View attachment 79468
I have a nearly identical setup. As the cam is inside, I removed the domes. I am very happy with the outcome.

abolition

n3wb
Reaction score
I went for the broader view version (2.8). I am able to capture most of the floor. Aesthetic is acceptable even without domes, imho - see pic.
That looks indeed very good, I’m still wondering about the lense, I’m not really interested in capturing what happens inside, just the entrance door (bottom left) and terrace window (top left), and mostly that face is visible, would the 3.6 then be the better fit?

Reaction score
@abolition just FYI you won't have good ID capability 11M away from that camera using 2.8mm lens based on my experience.

You should consider:
  • two cameras with an ethernet splitter,
  • select the 3.6mm version of the IPC-HDBW4231F-E2-M/M12 which gives you 2* 86 degree FOV you can adjust
  • or consider DH-IPC-PDBW8802-A180 which would gives you true 180 degree FOV with about the same DORI numbers as the 3.6mm cam
  • an alternative: IPC-PDBW8800-A180 is also available which might have the larger sensor and pushes RECOGNIZE to 10m plus probably better in low light.
  • I have the IPC-PFW8802-A180 (different form factor), and can confirm the DORI distances (especially recognize and identify) are pretty close but only in very good light.

abolition

n3wb
Reaction score
@abolition just FYI you won't have good ID capability 11M away from that camera using 2.8mm lens based on my experience.

You should consider:
  • two cameras with an ethernet splitter,
  • select the 3.6mm version of the IPC-HDBW4231F-E2-M/M12 which gives you 2* 86 degree FOV you can adjust
  • or consider DH-IPC-PDBW8802-A180 which would gives you true 180 degree FOV with about the same DORI numbers as the 3.6mm cam
  • an alternative: IPC-PDBW8800-A180 is also available which might have the larger sensor and pushes RECOGNIZE to 10m plus probably better in low light.
  • I have the IPC-PFW8802-A180 (different form factor), and can confirm the DORI distances (especially recognize and identify) are pretty close but only in very good light.
Thank you for the valuable feedback, I think 3.6mm is the way to go. I did check other models, but I cannot justify the (5x) price difference if this model would cover my need, if it was 2x I would really consider it. I did consider the idea of two cameras, as I already have a HDW2231R, thought of getting two more, but I don’t have cost effective means of bringing additional POE/Power. I should also say that my kitchen is right under where the camera will be placed.

To clarify I don’t need 11M identification, it would be 4M or so for one and 7M or so for the other. I had in mind to connect them to my hue lights, and have the lights turn on the moment the cameras detect motion, and in principle I should have sufficient lumens for near (cloudy) day light conditions.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
With a 2.8mm lens to get reliable identification the subject needs to be within less than two meters of the camera and the camera needs a good, straight on, face level, view. At two meters from the camera mounted on a 2.25 meter ceiling the angle will be approaching 45 degrees at two meters. When mounting and deciding on lens size, height and angle of view are key considerations. Try wearing a hoodie and keeping your head level or tilted down a bit and see what kind of identification you will get, and you'll already know it's you but would anyone else?