Review: Dahua DH-IPC-HFW5842E-ZE-S2 - 8MP / 4K Vari-Focal Bullet Cam

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Lol, I tried several models, he said not right, haha

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
@genelit @kenzi there will be a comparison to the Color4K-X BUT the mystery camera in the video to guess is NOT the 5842TI/Color4K and it’s NOT the 8A840 ;) Anyone else have a guess ? If not I’ll reveal it in the daytime test video :)

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
My suggestion on the video, is to make the white overlay more transparent or on the bottom,
Then again, I wish I had some your talent....

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
I'll go with 2831 since you're asking if it's still worth running now.
Good guess @Mike A. it is in fact the 2831 (S1 to be complete as there was an S2 that I personally didn't like as much). This will be in the mix as I compare 5842 with 2831 and Color4K-X. Thought it would be great to compare a now almost 3 year old cam with the latest batch. With the FW I left on the 2831 I can still pull the higher bitrate of 11264 out so will be doing some comparisons at the same BR for daytime so all can see what they think on how a 2021/2022 cam stacks up against a 2019 4K :) For me, the 2831 S1 still represented a great camera overall, ahead of its time in comparison to what we now take for granted, featured one of the first 1/1.8" sensors and pulled 30 fps at a high bitrate. The 1831 of course was its smaller brother and equally as versatile. As I said above the 2831 S1 model was also not capped like its later S2 brother so really did represent great value at the time.

Next up will be the full daytime review of all 3, editing theses together now.

Thanks everyone for joining in the fun, more comparisons like this as I go forward with other reviews.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
All

I've completed the daytime test along with comparisons and tied in with the new look/layout. Uploaded in 4K and available at the link below on YouTube. Any comment, questions or feedback welcome. I'll post here and in Post #2 so you have it for easy reference. Timestamps are in the video as always. Onto the night time test next. Will share my thoughts and findings as I go as always.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@Wildcat_1 - you have completely outdone yourself again! This is a great production video and is better than most of the YouTubers was hundreds of thousands of viewers and making money off of these reviews.

Thank you so much for your contributions to this forum and for providing meaningful improvements to Dahua engineers to improve the products, as well as helping out the members here. It seems like forever ago that I was a NOOB and watched you do your magic on my camera and how much I learned that night.

At least in the daytime, you have managed to show the older model 2831 is still a great camera (although we have to wait until your night-time to see if that still holds true).

This 5842 in the daytime seems to be slightly better than the 4K/X in most of the distance observations. It appears that as you got into the sweet spot distance of the 4K/X that the 4K/X held a slight edge over the 5842 in that distance range.

I look forward to the night video demonstrations! And if this 8MP on the 1/1.8" sensor can hold it's own against the 4K/X on the 1/1.2" sensor, I look forward to your thoughts and analysis as to how that is possible.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
@Wildcat_1 - you have completely outdone yourself again! This is a great production video and is better than most of the YouTubers was hundreds of thousands of viewers and making money off of these reviews.

Thank you so much for your contributions to this forum and for providing meaningful improvements to Dahua engineers to improve the products, as well as helping out the members here. It seems like forever ago that I was a NOOB and watched you do your magic on my camera and how much I learned that night.

At least in the daytime, you have managed to show the older model 2831 is still a great camera (although we have to wait until your night-time to see if that still holds true).

This 5842 in the daytime seems to be slightly better than the 4K/X in most of the distance observations. It appears that as you got into the sweet spot distance of the 4K/X that the 4K/X held a slight edge over the 5842 in that distance range.

I look forward to the night video demonstrations! And if this 8MP on the 1/1.8" sensor can hold it's own against the 4K/X on the 1/1.2" sensor, I look forward to your thoughts and analysis as to how that is possible.
Thanks @wittaj for the comments, the feedback and glad you like the new look. I'll continue to add and evolve this going forward to ensure that it improves :) I'll be looking at adding further analysis into the video's as I work on further reviews, comparison and advice video's this year. Will also continue to add my thoughts, analysis and share recommendations on the reviews in my findings and wrap up. Keep the suggestions, recommendations coming all and I'll look to integrate wherever possible.

With regards to the 2831, yes as I said back when I first purchased these in 2019, they were a phenomenal cam for their time and TBH for me still represent a great value for what they brought / do bring to the table. Sure they're not using the latest sensors, lack the new AI algorithms and light handling vs detail in shot is not as good as newer cams BUT they still deliver one hell of an image that was unfortunately capped in the S2 version. For the record I still prefer the 2831 over the 5831 any day of the week.

What you'll see in the night videos is how the 5842 really does now provide a compelling reason for people to move on from the 5442. The Color4K also shows how it can really push the envelope BUT has its place in an overall well crafted security solution. In other words that a Color4K should not be considered the only cam you need BUT as I mentioned before, in conjunction with a great IR based cam (5842 for example) and special application cams provides for a phenomenal setup. More on this as I share my findings after the night video

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Night video almost ready, awaiting final encode then will upload here.

For those community users that have reached out for dial in assistance and calibration, don't worry I haven't forgotten about you. I wanted to make sure to get these videos uploaded but will then be replying to DM's

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I have to second what wittaj said, wildcat. A great video that blows the rest of the YouTube video reviews out of the water. The professional look is great, but the side by side comparison is what makes things shine, at least to me.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
I have to second what wittaj said, wildcat. A great video that blows the rest of the YouTube video reviews out of the water. The professional look is great, but the side by side comparison is what makes things shine, at least to me.
Thanks @sebastiantombs appreciate the comments and feedback. Anything else you want to see just let me know. I also haven't forgotten about the suggestion above RE: comparison to other cams etc.

Also, night video is uploading to YouTube now.