Restore of NVR - Does it delete recordings etc

jase_31

n3wb
Reaction score
Does "restore" reset all parameters except IP, and user information default settings, disconnect cameras that are currently installed? Does it delete old recordings, and/or system logs - i.e give you a clean system - but still connected to your network and have the same users/passwords as before?

normel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No, it doesnt. Records are saved in HDD.
And logs are saved in Cmos battery

So if you factor default + format hdd, the logs will be still there

jase_31

n3wb
Reaction score
Great info.

Is there any issue in resetting a NVR that has already been "activated". If you do a reset, can you just create a admin user with the same password, or does it need to contact HIK as it has already been activated.

Do the longs eventually overwrite? rather than getting bigger and bigger? Would taking the cmos battery out cause it to forget the admin password, and boot to the activation screen? or would nothing happen I guess that logs are in NVR and therefore dont need battery.

yazen

n3wb
Reaction score
Does "restore" reset all parameters except IP, and user information default settings, disconnect cameras that are currently installed? Does it delete old recordings, and/or system logs - i.e give you a clean system - but still connected to your network and have the same users/passwords as before?
No

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Would taking the cmos battery out cause it to forget the admin password, and boot to the activation screen?
The system configuration including settings and passwords is held in the flash memory - the battery just keeps the system RTC (real time clock) ticking when the power is off.

jase_31

n3wb
Reaction score
The system configuration including settings and passwords is held in the flash memory - the battery just keeps the system RTC (real time clock) ticking when the power is off.
Does the memory just overwrite over time when the get to a certain size?

johnfitz

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Is there any issue in resetting a NVR that has already been "activated". If you do a reset, can you just create a admin user with the same password, or does it need to contact HIK as it has already been activated.
No problem resetting an NVR that has already been activated...

But, if it is linked to hik-connect, "unbind" before loading the default settings on the NVR and then "bind" it again after you have reactivated the NVR. I'm not 100% sure this is necessary but I had trouble reconnecting to hik-connect once after I reset mine... had to contact support at Hikvision and they reset something on the hik-connect servers for me...that may have only happened because I also downgraded the firmware on the NVR.

Initializing the HDD's erases the log information. I don't think you need to be concerned about the cmos battery/flash memory.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Does the memory just overwrite over time when the get to a certain size?
Settings/configurations reside on the motherboard similar to how memory sits on a flashdrive.

The video memory (on the HDD) will either fill up and stop recording or write-over as it gets full - you have to tell it what you want it to do when it gets full.