Reset/Find IP Address of Hikvision NVR

yellowbunny

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've got a Hikvision DS-7608NI-E2/8P NVR, and I had it set to a static IP, well I went in and checked DHCP so on reboot it would get IP from router (where I would assign IP), but now I can't find it anywhere. I tried using NMAP on 192.168.1.0/24, 192.168.1.1/24, and the static IP range it was on, but no go. I also tried going to the static IP that I had given the NVR but it's not there. Is there a way to figure out what IP it is on aside from having NMAP scan the entire list of possible IP combinations which may take a heck of a long time?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Is there a way to figure out what IP it is on aside from having NMAP scan the entire list of possible IP combinations which may take a heck of a long time?
On the same LAN, even on a different IP address range, SADP will find the NVR - if it is still operating : Hangzhou Hikvision Digital Technology Co. Ltd.
The Batch Configuration Tool will also find Hikvision devices automatically.

yellowbunny

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Weird, I entered a reply yesterday but then the server was down for maintenance and now my message is gone.

Is there a similar function I can do with NMAP tool (for use on Linux or Mac) that will do the same thing as SADP - or what makes SADP able to find Hikvision products?

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Weird, I entered a reply yesterday but then the server was down for maintenance and now my message is gone.
Yes, my follow-on post disappeared too.
There was a server or app upgrade taking place.
what makes SADP able to find Hikvision products?
Hikvision use a broadcast-based proprietary protocol for finding devices on the same wiring, independent of the IP address range.
I don't know of any equivalent that nmap could emulate.

I use Linux almost exclusively - but I do have to fire up a Windows VM from time to time to deal with Hikvision (or other similar) devices.

yellowbunny

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So what networking settings are you using in a virtual machine to get SADP to work, if the cameras are just connected to a POE switch without a router? On the host machine (OS X) I'm going manual ethernet, 192.168.1.10 for ip, 255.255.255.0, and 192.168.1.1 for gateway. On VMWare Fusion, I'm setting it to NAT, then going into Windows XP and changing manual IP to same, except IP of 192.168.1.11. Setting to bridge doesn't seem to do anything either. What a PITA.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
So what networking settings are you using in a virtual machine to get SADP to work, if the cameras are just connected to a POE switch without a router?
I'm away just now - when I'm back, maybe Friday, I'll post the settings used in the Oracle VirtualBox VM that I use.
I know SADP doesn't work via NAT, from what I recall I had the networking in bridge mode.