Replacement Site for Networkcameracritic.com

Overcon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As most, if not all, of you know that Carl of http://www.networkcameracritic.com passed away suddenly in March and he is missed tremendously by me and many others. God Bless Carl and your family! I miss his knowledge, his enthusiasm, his great reviews and his love of helping others. But with him gone, I don't know of any other sites that were like his. Does anyone know of any?

I know we have the forums and the manufacturers sites, but Carl was so through and he told you like it was and his reviews, awesome; and he helped you out with suggestions and advice based on on hand information. I am trying to find something like that, though I know we can't replace his loss are there no other sites even close?

Thanks!

acvb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Reviews would have to be shorter than your rants and posts of lately Uber. Wonder if his daughter would like it to remain in the family? Site goes and dad is forgotten.

acvb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't read your long ranting threads now... LOL. Keep 'em short.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
While I am not personally interested in contributing to it, I would like to see another high quality, free (and no ads) network camera review site.

But I am not so sure about this part:
TheUberOverLord said:
IP Cameras reviewed would remain connected to the websites as IP demo cameras.
As nice as it would be to have access to a bunch of genuine, live demo cameras, the potential for abuse is staggering. And so is the potential bandwidth usage. Sure, you could hide the cameras behind a proxying application that only allows access to video and PTZ functions, but then you might as well just post a youtube video of the real thing as that would be more useful to people trying to make a purchase decision.

LittleBrother

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Well, not trying to fill his shoes by any means, I was inspired by networkcameracritic to start a blog myself.

Indeed, my blog's focus is more than cameras, but I'm striving to do as good a job as Carl has done.

https://diysecurityguy.wordpress.com/
Nice!

I've never found anything like Carl's site, which is funny considering how many people use these. When I google ip camera review or whatever I get just tons and tons of absolute garbage. Obvious crap links and people trying to sell stuff or do nothing but sell advertising.

CamFan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Its tough to review every product out there unless you can afford to buy one of each or you have a connection to get loaners or demos. Carl covered a ton of cameras over the past few years. Tough for anyone to pull that off.

acvb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
"Obvious crap links and people trying to sell stuff or do nothing but sell advertising."

Carl's daughter owns "wrightwood surveillance". He was always trying to help her with sales (from most of the reviews). Yup, No Advertising There. There is no way anyone could review that many cameras without an access.