Replace current PC with SFF PC

propman07

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi-

The PC that I built back in 2011 (Win7/i7-4770@3.4GHz/8 GB RAM) is giving me issues, so I'm looking to find a suitable replacement. I've noticed that a lot of folks are going to the SFF, specifically looking at older Dell machines. I found one on e-Bay that seems pretty reasonable, price wise...wanted to see what the consensus was regarding the hardware.

Dell OptiPlex 3070 Small form factor sff business Desktop INTEL CORE i5-9500 PROCESSOR 16GB RAM 512Gb SSD
Processor 9th Generation Intel Core i5-9500 Processor (6 Core, up to 4.4GHz, 9MB Cache)
Display No Screen or monitor
Video Intel UHD Graphics 630
Memory 16GB DDR4 Non-ECC Memory
Hard Drive 512GB Solid State Drive

My current setup has 13 cameras, 3 of which record 24/7 with the others set to record on motion triggers.

Thanks.

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
While not Dell, I found the HP Slimline 290-P0014 does the trick and, if you are patient, can be found for very cheap on ebay. If you are good at tech, you can find one "for parts" real cheap and usually it's an easy diagnosis and fix.

propman07

n3wb
Reaction score
oicu2-

Thanks for the reply. I'll look at the HP Slimline....looking for something that will pretty much be turnkey as I have a lot of other projects in work...otherwise, I would go ahead and put together a new machine like I did for the original BI PC back in 2011.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi-

The PC that I built back in 2011 (Win7/i7-4770@3.4GHz/8 GB RAM) is giving me issues, so I'm looking to find a suitable replacement. I've noticed that a lot of folks are going to the SFF, specifically looking at older Dell machines. I found one on e-Bay that seems pretty reasonable, price wise...wanted to see what the consensus was regarding the hardware.

Dell OptiPlex 3070 Small form factor sff business Desktop INTEL CORE i5-9500 PROCESSOR 16GB RAM 512Gb SSD
Processor 9th Generation Intel Core i5-9500 Processor (6 Core, up to 4.4GHz, 9MB Cache)
Display No Screen or monitor
Video Intel UHD Graphics 630
Memory 16GB DDR4 Non-ECC Memory
Hard Drive 512GB Solid State Drive

My current setup has 13 cameras, 3 of which record 24/7 with the others set to record on motion triggers.

Thanks.
That PC will do fine.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
looney2ns- Thanks for the reply....getting ready to hit the buy it now button.
what is the asking price?
Note that there is only room for a single 3.5 drive plus the ssd...there are ways to stuff another 2.5 drive in but if you intend to use more than one 3.5 drive consider something else.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
While not Dell, I found the HP Slimline 290-P0014 does the trick and, if you are patient, can be found for very cheap on ebay. If you are good at tech, you can find one "for parts" real cheap and usually it's an easy diagnosis and fix.
note that comes with windows home not pro

propman07

n3wb
Reaction score
what is the asking price?
Note that there is only room for a single 3.5 drive plus the ssd...there are ways to stuff another 2.5 drive in but if you intend to use more than one 3.5 drive consider something else.
Asking $224. I am aware of the HDD and SSD limitation. I have network storage that I use to archive cam video to if needed. I was going to use SSD for OS and BI software and internal 3.5 HDD for direct to disk recordings.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Asking $224. I am aware of the HDD and SSD limitation. I have network storage that I use to archive cam video to if needed. I was going to use SSD for OS and BI software and internal 3.5 HDD for direct to disk recordings.
that is overpriced for a 9500 considering that the 8500's go for 120...you should be able to find an 11500 for 250....Ive purchased 12500's for 300 but you need to wait for them to pop up.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
This might be a great deal. Seller has only two reviews but price is right. Says its a T processor but I may be an error...message and get exact specs...risky with low reviews but you have ebay protection

or this with best officer you may get close to the 224 .....

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

propman07

n3wb
Reaction score
This might be a great deal. Seller has only two reviews but price is right. Says its a T processor but I may be an error...message and get exact specs...risky with low reviews but you have ebay protection

or this with best officer you may get close to the 224 .....
fenderman- Thanks for your comments and the links to the two machines. I'm looking into both of them now....we'll see what I get back from the two sellers.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
fenderman- Thanks for your comments and the links to the two machines. I'm looking into both of them now....we'll see what I get back from the two sellers.
If you can wait, just watch auctions for an i5-12500 for about 300 bux...they will come...and there is a big jump in cpu performance...double the 9th gen i5

Here is a 9th gen but i7. with best offer...https://www.ebay.com/itm/126312874844?hash=item1d68d5835c%3Ag%3AQ0EAAOSwYnVlvR0D&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAAwLZU1bvHlhZUohDM64y%2FDgaposX%2FrKkXUW1kOxFl9VKTw3zLBO3KecXP%2FyuX6MseBBrRGulcRxXpXSH43V1dVHPPPREKHpJcn%2FFh9xnoTPZwlgAxw2hyysciidphB59hj8XG5tJEKolQmwGw1A22tzGJslGwLGtuqf%2FzvEcpgWZfHVrPt47IuC%2Bqey2si46ttT%2FE7ixj4%2BDSCLu95ro%2B1hXsKP7N%2FsBg3lBZGaVFHcFFyZYbtHHfy8jRlg%2FgVDkEXg%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR4zLrKauYw&LH_BIN=1

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
found one....but for $399. I figure that a lot of these would be upgrades compared to the old machine I am currently using as it is a 4th gen i7

Dell OptiPlex 3000 SFF Core i5-12500 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11 WARRANTY 2025 | eBay
Yeah, the prices fluctuate...you will find one for less
If you need something now, better just buy an 8th gen i5-8500 for 120 or less...there is a negligible performance gain going to the 9th gen you posted...225 is just too much for a 5 year old pc...
Then in a few years pick up something else...

propman07

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeah, the prices fluctuate...you will find one for less
If you need something now, better just buy an 8th gen i5-8500 for 120 or less...there is a negligible performance gain going to the 9th gen you posted...225 is just too much for a 5 year old pc...
Then in a few years pick up something else...
Understood. Thanks again for all of your advice as well as spending the time to go on eBay and post the systems here...the system I have now is somewhat flakey....the PC remains powered up, for some reason, I can't access it across my LAN/WAN and BI stops recording until I reboot the PC, but that's another issue. I've saved some searches and sent out a few inquiries on some of the 9th, 10th, and 12th gen machines that I was able to find with your help.

Thanks again.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Understood. Thanks again for all of your advice as well as spending the time to go on eBay and post the systems here...the system I have now is somewhat flakey....the PC remains powered up, for some reason, I can't access it across my LAN/WAN and BI stops recording until I reboot the PC, but that's another issue. I've saved some searches and sent out a few inquiries on some of the 9th, 10th, and 12th gen machines that I was able to find with your help.

Thanks again.
Are you able to access the pc itself locally while this is happening? if so it might be a network card driver (uninstall) and reinstall) or the port itself (a cheap 10 dollar card could resolve it). If everything freezes, A quick reinstall of windows is all you might need. Make sure to use the windows media creation tool from microsoft. It can also be hardware like a power supply or MB and at that point its not worth the time and money to repair.

propman07

n3wb
Reaction score
Are you able to access the pc itself locally while this is happening? if so it might be a network card driver (uninstall) and reinstall) or the port itself (a cheap 10 dollar card could resolve it). If everything freezes, A quick reinstall of windows is all you might need. Make sure to use the windows media creation tool from microsoft. It can also be hardware like a power supply or MB and at that point its not worth the time and money to repair.
It's an intermittent problem....when it occurs, I cannot access the PC using remote desktop. Fails to reply to any ping commands. It's been a problem for a while, I was just reluctant to upgrade the OS from Win7 to Win10.

On another note...I pulled the trigger on this one a little while ago...seller accepted my offer at $175. I checked the service tag, and it is still under warranty from Dell until October 2024.

Thanks again for your help.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It's an intermittent problem....when it occurs, I cannot access the PC using remote desktop. Fails to reply to any ping commands. It's been a problem for a while, I was just reluctant to upgrade the OS from Win7 to Win10.

On another note...I pulled the trigger on this one a little while ago...seller accepted my offer at $175. I checked the service tag, and it is still under warranty from Dell until October 2024.

Thanks again for your help.
Shipping is $100.00, yikes!