Reolink: Deconstruction of a dangerous misleading youtube review "Finding the BEST 4K Security Camera NVR Package (Reolink vs Amcrest vs Swann)"

TRusselo

n3wb
Reaction score
So I have an RLC-511W and it has been stuttery since day one... never found this thread.
Just purchased 2x RLC-1224A hoping the issues have been ironed out in the past 4 years....
got them yesterday. no. not fixed. even setting the i-frame to 1, the video was not smooth motion.
found this thread this morning.
started my refund request with reolink

today blueiris updated to 5.7.7.2

Am I crazy but... is it fixed? I think its finally fixed in BI.
my 511 has never looked better. 30 fps 8192 kbps, 2560x1920... and SMOOTH video.
the 2 new RLC-1224A 12mp cameras are smooth now too.
can anyone else confirm? I dont trust/believe its fixed, I dont believe my own eyes.

TRusselo

n3wb
Reaction score
This is about the cameras manufacturer's issue not the BI one.
if blueiris fixes around the mfg's crap, and it records/plays proper, does it matter who's issue it is, if there is no issue?
i still cant set the i frame on my 511W, BUT it plays smooth in BI for the first time in 4 years.

BUT REALLY i posted in this tread cuz it has the highest number of knowledgeable people in it that would be able to confirm with more brain cells than I.

Moonbeam68x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Executive Summary:
DO NOT be a sheep.
Ask what a reviewer can be missing, ask if a reviewer is using hype words to sell the cheapest product.
  • Test your cameras and kits right away.
  • Just do a bench test.
  • Test real world conditions.
  • Test moving suspects.
  • Test at night, test at day.
  • Use a test rig to place cameras at positions which you plan to place the cameras.

Finding the BEST 4K Security Camera NVR Package (Reolink vs Amcrest vs Swann)
The Hook Up

4:30 - Mentions Blue Iris "NVR" interface is much better but probably not $600 better
Response: Many members here go with a good used i7 Business Class PC and save a lot on that. ( some getting a good PC for $200+/- and also getting a decent PoE switch ) - so it may cost a bit more than an NVR in a kit, but for many here they really like Blue Iris and feel it is worth it. ( note, if buying an NVR separately - it can cost more than going Blue Iris + used business class machine )

11:10 - "let's check out the daytime clarity of each camera"
this is the section which I feel is very poorly laid out.

Reviewer tests a image capture at 25ft of text.

Fact: Wider FOV = less pixel density at 25 ft.
Fact: Tuning parameters also matter.

Reolink B800
Image Sensor: 1/2.5" CMOS Sensor
Effective Pixels: 3840x2160 (8.0 Megapixel)
Lens: f=4.0mm F=2.0
Angle of View: Horizontal: 97° ; Vertical: 51°
ref:

Amcrest Camera IP8M-T2499EW-28MM
Image Sensor 1/2.5” 8Megapixel progressive scan CMOS
Focal Length 2.8mm
Max. Aperture F1.6
Angle of View H: 112°, V: 69°
ref:
and

The reviewer FAILS completely to mention FOV and Lens ( 4mm vs 2.8mm ) in his comparisons - which in my book is completely misleading.

11:49 - "night 25 ft."
".. results were very similar..." again testing an image capture at 25 ft of text.

claims the other cameras have very poor night time performance.

Again major FAILURE on the reviewer.
Failed to test moving subject.
Failed to even mention lens differences.
Failed to even mention FOV differences.

12:12 "..reolink seems to have really perfected their algorithms check out this image from 10 feet away the Reolink imagine looks almost fake but it's just a result of their specific post processing .. "

"... Reolink the results are amazing..."

This is complete BullSh-t. So you're telling me Reolink which uses cheaper processing, has less engineers doing R&D is gonna beat Hikvision and Dahua?

This review is a dangerous one, full of misinformation and omissions. It is not a honest review by any measure, and all the thumbs up on the video are from people who do not know they've just been had by omissions of facts and failure to do a proper review.

This reviewer did such a frame up of the competition and failed to test any moving objects at night ( Reolinks major downfall ), that I highly suspect he is on Reolink's payroll.

View attachment 69478

Update:
At first the review looks legit, until you notice he compares are 4mm lens Reolink vs a 2.8mm Amcrest ( Dahua OEM ) and claims the Reolink is amazing "..reolink seems to have really perfected their algorithms check out this image from 10 feet away the Reolink imagine looks almost fake but it's just a result of their specific post processing .. ... Reolink the results are amazing..."
when the simple truth is he is comparing a 4mm lens vs a 2.8mm lens.. nothing amazing, just reducing pixel density for a wider FOV.. simple math stuff...

I'm so glad I seen this. I actually fail for it and bought the cameras.. I'm returning them this week and hoping I can find a good camera that can pick up in the pitch dark night.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm so glad I seen this. I actually fail for it and bought the cameras.. I'm returning them this week and hoping I can find a good camera that can pick up in the pitch dark night.
good to have you join us ..

do check out the reviews members have been sharing ..