Refurb Computers

dryfly

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've read a lot of posts recommending the refurb Dell Optiplex and HP EliteDesk computers for blue Iris systems. I need an extra computer to use to load and learn Linux. I've always built my own machines using quality parts and enjoyed the flexibility and reliability of choosing my own components and being able to repair as needed.

Now, the parts costs for budget computers have gotten insane, plus if you do want to run Win you are out another $100. My question is are these refurbs pretty reliable? Can you usually get at least a couple of years out of them? Most if not all are going to use proprietary parts,. so repair is going to be tough. I'm seeing some computers for around $250 that should run Linux just fine, but I just wonder if they are worth it.

I'd appreciate your experience with buying these refurbs.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Generally, yes. I've bought many. Don't think that I've seen any difference as far as reliability between those bought new or refurb. Most all have been replaced for something better vs issues. Main thing that I've had go bad when it does are power supplies. But I've probably had as many go on new ones as refurbs. Most parts these days aren't too hard to come by if you need something. Tons of people selling surplus parts for common machines fairly cheap.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
IMO, everything you've read about the refurbs recommended for BI also apply to any O/S.

I have bought several refurbs from MS authorized refurbishers on newegg and amazon in the past 2 years and all were exceptionally clean, inside and out, not a blemish. I believe the majority are off-lease turn-ins from banks, corporations, etc.

All are performing well as we speak.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I need an extra computer to use to load and learn Linux.
Have you considered using a Virtual Machine to do this on your existing computer?
There are various solutions that would allow this - and without the need to buy the product.

I've used Oracle's free VirtualBox product for running WinXP, Win7, Win10, Linux, FreeNAS etc for ages and it works well.
It can be a bit slow, you'd not want to do serious cracking under it, but it's a great environment to use to learn, and to experiment with.
If you want to try breaking it or replicate it - just take a snapshot, and if needed revert later.

dryfly

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick replys. Very encouraging to hear of the good qualities of refurbs. There are sure a lot of dealers selling them on Ebay and Amazon. Amazon does offer free returns on some, but it would be nice to know of a reliable re-seller.

I think for what I want to do I can get by with a pretty ancient CPU, however the Dell's mostly have DisplayPort instead of HDMI output. I know you can buy adapters to go to HDMI but is this an issue?

dryfly

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Have you considered using a Virtual Machine to do this on your existing computer?
There are various solutions that would allow this - and without the need to buy the product.

I've used Oracle's free VirtualBox product for running WinXP, Win7, Win10, Linux, FreeNAS etc for ages and it works well.
It can be a bit slow, you'd not want to do serious cracking under it, but it's a great environment to use to learn, and to experiment with.
If you want to try breaking it or replicate it - just take a snapshot, and if needed revert later.

Yes, I'm aware of this, but I need/want a separate computer. It will be in a different location than my existing computer.

fergenheimer

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've been concerned about the quality of refurbs also. I just bought Blue Iris and need a box for a remote machine. Since it is remote, I cannot get to it if it fails for any reason. It seems like the price of refurbs have also gone way up. Most I have seen the past week have 6th or 7th generation i7s or i5s. Does everybody agree that they could go 4 months unattended an enclosed garage kept "broom clean". I have a Synology NAS and router there now with no problems.

fergenheimer

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
As far as learning Linux, you should visit Distrowatch.com for a short review on many distros. Unfortunately now, there are so many variants that you have to learn the distro and not the OS. Unless of course, you only run the command line interface and ignore the xserver and window manager.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've been concerned about the quality of refurbs also. I just bought Blue Iris and need a box for a remote machine. Since it is remote, I cannot get to it if it fails for any reason. It seems like the price of refurbs have also gone way up. Most I have seen the past week have 6th or 7th generation i7s or i5s. Does everybody agree that they could go 4 months unattended an enclosed garage kept "broom clean". I have a Synology NAS and router there now with no problems.
Hi @fergenheimer

If you can keep the power clean, dirt out, and heat / humidity in check - I think the newer business class refurbs do well. ( 6th or 7th gen .. 4th gen = too old imho )

fergenheimer

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks @mat200. My current pc is an i7-4700MQ. It is an all in one hence the mobile chip. Even inside an air conditioned space, it gets dust in the cooling fins and gets hot. My wife dropped something on the monitor and it cracked. The crack sometime acts like a touch on the touch screen and strange things happen. Being an AIO, the monitor is not easily or economically replaceable. It was going to become the blue iris pc but I am definitely worried about it overheating when not in an air conditioned space and running 24/7. The house will get a new pc but blue iris will have to get a refurb and not this one.

dryfly

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi @fergenheimer

If you can keep the power clean, dirt out, and heat / humidity in check - I think the newer business class refurbs do well. ( 6th or 7th gen .. 4th gen = too old imho )
4th gen too slow for Blue Iris, or for general use computing?? I'm still running a 4th gen i7 and it seems to do pretty good for basic tasks. On the other hand I'm not sure the prices are that much more for 6th or 7th gen refurbs.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A member here runs 50 cameras on a 4th gen at 30% CPU. With substreams, it makes a 4th gen a capable machine if one has one floating around or if it is all they can afford at the moment.

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I'm running BI on an I7-3770. 20 IP cams, 2 USB cams for my 3D Printer, 3 "cams" to show different weather info. It normally runs around 28% cpu. YMMV...

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
And there is no issue with using the display port with an HDMI converter to hook up to a monitor...

whoami ™

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I didnt realize Linux needed so many recourses. If you're just wanting to learn linux basics you could do that on a old Raspberry Pi or with a VM. If you want to some how skip the basics and go straight to hacking and brute forcing passwords with Kali then I'd go for a bunch of cores and something you can add multiple GPU's to.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
4th gen too slow for Blue Iris, or for general use computing?? I'm still running a 4th gen i7 and it seems to do pretty good for basic tasks. On the other hand I'm not sure the prices are that much more for 6th or 7th gen refurbs.
Hi @dryfly

( 6th or 7th gen .. 4th gen = too old imho )

As we are discussing reliability and as I know there is a mtbf on all electronic components, imho I would not buy a used 4th gen cpu system, as I would suspect it has more "mileage" than a 6th gen .. of course, any used product could have been babied or abused .. and so, there's always more to check for when buying a used box .. either way, I would no longer buy a 4th gen chip when I can get a 6th gen or better for not much more

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
I've built computers from scratch and I've bought refurbished computers too. I'm currently running BlueIris on a refurb i7-6700 computer that I bought on EBay. It's been running 24/7 for almost two years without any issues. I also run pfSense on a refurb HP thin client (HP620+) from EBay that's been running 24/7 for probably 3 years now without any issues. I've have a couple other refurbs either at my house or my parents house running 24/7 without issue as well.

I would absolutely recommend using a refurb computer bought from a reputable seller. While you can get a lemon even with a newly built machine, the odds are any modern computer will give you years of usability without any hickups. Just make sure you clean the vents regularly and feed them good power (easiest to use a battery backup solution).

Covert One

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've had great luck with refurbished machines over the years and would also recommend them as long as it is from a reliable seller. You mentioned you wanted a machine to learn/run linux. Have you thought about a raspberry pi4? Great little machine for $100 more or less depending on configuration.

dryfly

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've had great luck with refurbished machines over the years and would also recommend them as long as it is from a reliable seller. You mentioned you wanted a machine to learn/run linux. Have you thought about a raspberry pi4? Great little machine for $100 more or less depending on configuration.
I want a full stand alone computer, not a just an RP. Reason being, this is also going to be a computer for my grandkids (to keep them away from mine).

The comments on a "reliable seller" makes me wonder who they are. There are lots of sellers on Ebay and Amazon, and as I mentioned above, not much of a way to tell who the reliable ones are. At least some of the ones on Amazon offer free returns.