Recommendations for New Security Camera System

doretau

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@doretau, I spoke with Steven at Nelly's this morning. He was super helpful. Answered a slew of questions, then again when I emailed him another slew of questions I'd forgotten to ask. I got a personal quote from him. The price quoted was a little less than published on their site. I'm ordering from him tomorrow, after I settle on cameras. BTW, he quoted me 4 MP bullets at just a touch more than the 2MP. Good luck!
are you going with bullet or turret setup? what brand?

chippy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
are you going with bullet or turret setup? what brand?
Well... I WAS going to go with the bullet, but we do have an abundance of spiders and wasps here... In light of fenderman's tip I'm not so sure. 4MP Eyesurv, 16 channel H-series NVR

chippy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Can the dome cameras be mounted vertically on the wall?

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I was in the same boat, looking at systems for the last year or so. Stumbled across this forum and found alot of knowledge and advise and decided to build my own. Like @fenderman said up top u can find cheap systems or build them for cheaper.

Also just an FYI, alot of the stuff on Amazon that is full system offers rebates for positive reviews of their systems. I've seen it in various products and good reviewers will specify that they received a monetary refund for the positive review but that doesn't mean everyone does. I prefer to look around outside of Amazon if i can.

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Well... I WAS going to go with the bullet, but we do have an abundance of spiders and wasps here... In light of fenderman's tip I'm not so sure. 4MP Eyesurv, 16 channel H-series NVR
If you are going to go with eyesurv cams which are dahua, then buy an eyesurv/dahua nvr.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Also just an FYI, alot of the stuff on Amazon that is full system offers rebates for positive reviews of their systems. I've seen it in various products and good reviewers will specify that they received a monetary refund for the positive review but that doesn't mean everyone does. I prefer to look around outside of Amazon if i can.
If a company offers free/discounted product for in exchange for reviews, you cannot trust any of them. Many users dont disclose they got a free device. http://fakespot.com/

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If a company offers free/discounted product for in exchange for reviews, you cannot trust any of them. Many users dont disclose they got a free device. http://fakespot.com/
+1 for fakespot.

On free products for reviews through programs like vine and seed, sometimes you'll see people who give it 5 stars but are actually fairly critical in the text of their review. These are the minority, but worth watching for assume it's worse than they describe.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
+1 for fakespot.

On free products for reviews through programs like vine and seed, sometimes you'll see people who give it 5 stars but are actually fairly critical in the text of their review. These are the minority, but worth watching for assume it's worse than they describe.
Many junk/scam camera manufactures like lefun, annke etc have most, im talking 60-90 percent of their reviews written by folks who received the item free or at a discount. These reviews must leave mostly positive feedback or they wont get any more free products for "review". On

chippy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If you are going to go with eyesurv cams which are dahua, then buy an eyesurv/dahua nvr.
My bad! I thought H-Series WAS Dahua. Steven at Nelly's just corrected me. Hikvision. I'm going with all H-series. The entire system is what Steven recommended based on his interview.

Billn

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm a newbie to IP camera/surveillance but have 30+ years of IT network experience. Don't want to hijack this thread but wanted to ask quick question.

I have purchased a Hikvision 4mp camera for evaluation and I intend to use Blue Iris for video management. I have a honkin' big computer system running Win 7 Pro with 32gb memory, video card, raid1 & raid 5 drives.

Question: Should I go with 8 port Hikvision NVR or an 8 port POE switch? The difference is $150 but I'm leaning toward the NVR solution design because it a dedicated hardware. Plus I'm thinking I can control IT security better. I'll still use Blue Iris regardless - because I'm a geek.

Opinions please...

For other newbies I found the book "IP Video Surveillance - An Essential Guide" an invaluable $8 investment for ramping up on this technology.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm a newbie to IP camera/surveillance but have 30+ years of IT network experience. Don't want to hijack this thread but wanted to ask quick question.

I have purchased a Hikvision 4mp camera for evaluation and I intend to use Blue Iris for video management. I have a honkin' big computer system running Win 7 Pro with 32gb memory, video card, raid1 & raid 5 drives.

Question: Should I go with 8 port Hikvision NVR or an 8 port POE switch? The difference is $150 but I'm leaning toward the NVR solution design because it a dedicated hardware. Plus I'm thinking I can control IT security better. I'll still use Blue Iris regardless - because I'm a geek.

Opinions please...

For other newbies I found the book "IP Video Surveillance - An Essential Guide" an invaluable $8 investment for ramping up on this technology.
You will still need a switch because using the NVR to stream to blue iris will not be smooth.

doretau

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

doretau

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
7108 doesn't support 4/5MP cameras that's why the bandwidth is lower.

Get 7608NI-E2/8P or 7616NI-E2/8P

doretau

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
7108 doesn't support 4/5MP cameras that's why the bandwidth is lower.

Get 7608NI-E2/8P or 7616NI-E2/8P
I suppose it's a typo of some sort as both NVR are listed to have 50mbps bandwidth while I do see the 7108 shown as supporting max 2MP cams.

dalepa

Reaction score
You may start with a 4+1 port POE switch and go from there. If you have a descent gaming PC 3170k or better you can get at least 15 CAMS on BI and still use it for daily use. 2 POEs may be easier to place and use less cat6. Once you get a feel for BI, you may not want a NVR,

Opinions please...

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

chippy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@doretau, Already ordered my system today. No junction boxes. I bought a 1000' of bulk direct burial/UV resistant cable, so exposure to the elements won't be an issue. Tube of silicone caulk is cheaper than boxes :)

Last edited by a moderator: